MacFevre Pit V2

MacFevre

Greetings All! I'm glad to get back to pit building after a summer long hiatus. Medical problems, hospital stays, and unfortunately, what I am guessing is a falling out with a forum member that I had great respect for and really thought of well put my desire for building my A-10 pit on the back burner. But I could only stay away for so long before the "need for speed," so to speak, has brought me back to the fold. I thought about continuing on with my last build thread, but after seeing Agrasyuk's new pit post, he has inspired me to create a new thread, as this really is a Version 2 Pit, and not a continuation of the last one!

Unfortunately, the main tub of my build has been built on another's plans, so until he says it's OK to show off, I will keep the pics to only showing what I've done otherwise.

There has been some incredible updates since I last posted. One that I was particularly interested in was LynxDK's stuff. Wow! Nice job Lynx! I've before been cautioned against 3-D Printed items as a commercial item, instead of just something to print to make sure it will really work before you make it in another material, so I had my doubts. But it really looked good. So throwing caution to the wind I PM'd him and had got one of the MIP Center Build-Ups. So that's where I will start posting my new A-10C Version 2 Cockpit!

When I received it, he also sent along plans for his Main Instrument Panel, which he says he will be releasing shortly to the forum. I had been anxiously awaiting DM's plans for it, but wasn't really sure when he'll be putting them out, so decided to go ahead and make Lynx's out of 1/2" Plywood. I will be putting this MIP in front of a LCD screen.

My plans will be to get another MIP for real instruments. While I am putting that together, I can fly with this one. Yay! Back to flying! (When I created this tub at the beginning of the year, I took apart my first cockpit.)

This MIP is entirely had cut with only a jig saw and hole saws. (And plenty of sanding.) I attached LynxDX's center piece and painted. Finished today, so this is what I ended up with. It's apparent that it's no CNC job, but what can you do? ;)

IMG_2597.thumb.jpg.f62482c605bde6b1886a74dc859d9ed7.jpg

I was still worried about how the 3D Printed center piece would hold up, but this thing seems really robust! So I may just have to order another one for the other MIP that I do put real ones in. Just to make sure though, I installed what ones I had.

IMG_2607.thumb.jpg.9312e2df4a1a6bc649aea8a46c995adf.jpg

Now to put in the TM MFCDs and place a LCD screen behind it and finally will be able to get back flying in a partial pit, anyway. Thank you everyone with all your ideas, and special thanks to LynxDX for his great MIP center and MIP plans. Lynx, expect a PM shortly with a list of more stuff I want to get from you! :D

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

Thanks Lynx. Just don't look too close. ;)

My Pit so far: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

• 1 year later...

Rudder Pedals Placement

WOW! It has been some time since I posted anything! Fortunately, I still have been working on the pit, though it might not always seem like it. ;)

I've got a question for anyone who might know. I've got some new rudder pedals (Slaw's, which BTW, are as smooth as butter!) that I'm very excited to get, and questioning the placement of them.

Right now because of the design of the pit they happen to sit where the bottom of the pedal is approximately 5 inches. (And approx. 18" forward of the seat.) So I can leave it as is and lock it down there, or I can modify the floor of the pit to bring the pedals closer to the floor.

So what are others doing with their pedals? Are they close to the floor or sit above it? (And by how much?) Here's a quick photo of what I'm talking about. It's a phone pic and not the greatest, but there you go. :) (Oh! And I'll be selling a set of Saitek Pro Flight's if anyone's interested... :D )

786615774_MIP-FloortoRudderPedals.thumb.jpg.7e7525936fae2dc487f1b6cda7ab796c.jpg

The only pedal height information I've come across is from the F/A-18 in which the pedal reference point is 5" above the heel rest level. The pedal reference point is located in the center of the brake pivot axis.

For my pedals I found ~4" to be a bit more comfortable though, maybe because I'm not flying with shoes on.

Huh, how about that. Thanks Vlad! Good info. It does seem a bit high. Sounds like with the reference point that it needs to be dropped an inch or so.

Oh, and thanks Gus! It should look even better when I start getting some bezels and stuff from Lynx. I haven't even started with the actual electronics part of it. I've been kinda waiting for more reference (handholding) with Ian and Warhog's MAX487 instructions. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro