AV-8B Harrier Thread - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #21
whiteladder

Reputation power: 6
whiteladder has a spectacular aura aboutwhiteladder has a spectacular aura aboutwhiteladder has a spectacular aura aboutwhiteladder has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaw View Post
i somwhere heard, they arent able to hoover long, and its more like a slow descent. Engines runing over 100% and they also need tons of water for the engine to cool it down in hoover mode. And they arent able to take off 100% verticaly like a chopper

is that true?
The answer is... it depends

They are able to hover and take off vertically, but this is dependant on weight.

For example the maximum vertical take off weight is about 21,000lb, the empty weight of the Harrier (2/av8b) is about 14,000lb , which leave 7,000lb split between fuel and weapons, so it either will not be able to go very far or carry many weapons.

For a rolling take off the max weight goes upto 31,000lb a big difference, which is why they normally employ a rolling take off and vertical landing.

As for the water again it depends, the Mk105 and Mk107 Pegasus doesn't need to have water injection to maintain a hover, but it helps at certain atmospheric temps to improve engine performance/life.
whiteladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #22
whaaw

Reputation power: 3
whaaw will become famous soon enoughwhaaw will become famous soon enoughwhaaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteladder View Post
The answer is... it depends

They are able to hover and take off vertically, but this is dependant on weight.

For example the maximum vertical take off weight is about 21,000lb, the empty weight of the Harrier (2/av8b) is about 14,000lb , which leave 7,000lb split between fuel and weapons, so it either will not be able to go very far or carry many weapons.

For a rolling take off the max weight goes upto 31,000lb a big difference, which is why they normally employ a rolling take off and vertical landing.

As for the water again it depends, the Mk105 and Mk107 Pegasus doesn't need to have water injection to maintain a hover, but it helps at certain atmospheric temps to improve engine performance/life.

thank you for that reply. Now i want AV-8B more then ever^^

EDIT:

This guy has a Harrier as a civil guy^^

Last edited by whaaw; 12-17-2015 at 05:00 PM.
whaaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #23
Bullfrog_

Reputation power: 4
Bullfrog_ is on a distinguished road

The Harrier would be day one easily, I'd take it over anything in development right now. With a close runner up being the F/A-18.

Specially if it's the Av-8B but any of them would be nice.
Bullfrog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #24
Harry.R

Reputation power: 9
Harry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the roughHarry.R is a jewel in the rough

The Brit GR.7 would be great and probably easier to do than a radar equipped Boeing version. It would be nice to use hides as well and be fairly near the front line to. Better not hovver for more than 90 seconds though, or try vl' ing with stores aboard on a hot day
Harry.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #25
Brixmis

Reputation power: 8
Brixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really niceBrixmis is just really nice

I was watching a great documentary about the Harrier development on YT - very good film. I downloaded it a while ago, so don't have the link - but I'll look for it.

Found it:

https://youtu.be/WxzpKtbNKQ0

There are a few around.

Last edited by Brixmis; 12-25-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:32 AM   #26
hannibal

Reputation power: 21
hannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nicehannibal is just really nice

razbam harrier in fsx looks amazing..
mind will be blown on dcs version...
hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #27
flyingscotsman

Reputation power: 8
flyingscotsman will become famous soon enoughflyingscotsman will become famous soon enough

I may be alone with this,but would we be able to get the 2 seater versions?
I understand ED want everything working - I get that, but I just like the look of most of the 2 sweaters, F-18, Harrier etc. I would have thought as an airframe, not too much of a stretch. Perhaps if we got the F-15E then we could have one of the guru,s sort navigator seats for the other ,Ex RAF we still call the back seat guy the Nav.
flyingscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #28
tinkmiester

Reputation power: 0
tinkmiester is on a distinguished road

love the razbam in p3d v3

need it for dcs now
tinkmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #29
tinkmiester

Reputation power: 0
tinkmiester is on a distinguished road

Nice eh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (90).jpg
Views:	420
Size:	624.0 KB
ID:	132101  
tinkmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #30
Vampyre

Reputation power: 9
Vampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really niceVampyre is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I may be alone with this,but would we be able to get the 2 seater versions?
I understand ED want everything working - I get that, but I just like the look of most of the 2 sweaters, F-18, Harrier etc. I would have thought as an airframe, not too much of a stretch. Perhaps if we got the F-15E then we could have one of the guru,s sort navigator seats for the other ,Ex RAF we still call the back seat guy the Nav.
A Harrier T10 or T12 would be rather useful in showing others how to fly the thing... plus they have all their pylons so could also be used as an honest to goodness combat aircraft in a pinch. both versions are directly related to the GR7 and GR9 respectively so if RAZBAM do a DCS GR7/9 they will have a good start to the systems and weapons modeling from the very beginning. Flight model and aircraft model will of course have to change plus the addition of two seat capability. That being said, I honestly doubt they will do a two seat Harrier for financial reasons. It would be a risky proposition to do a separate module with almost the same capabilities as an existing module.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote