DCS Weather - Real time weather in your DCS World - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
chromium
3rd Party Developer

Default DCS Weather - Real time weather in your DCS World

EDIT: DAWS Weather standalone is not supported anymore.
You can download DAWS Package with automatic weather update feature here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...46&postcount=1

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Last edited by chromium; 07-26-2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: update
chromium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
sUrge0n

WoW that is awesome. Nice job!!
- I5 3570K @4.2ghz | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel® Thermal Solution RTS2011LC | G.Skill Ares 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | MSI N760 2GD5/OC ITX| 2x Corsair CSSD-F60GBGT-BK | Western Digital WD10EALX 1TB | HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 | Win 7

sUrge0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Blooze

I installed this mod using JSGME, selected Kobuleti and hit the load button. I got the first window asking if I wanted to download the weather and clicked OK but nothing happened after that. any suggestions? How long should I expect to wait living in the USA?
Old 07-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
chromium
3rd Party Developer

It's instantaneus usually, you should see modified parameters in the static weather setting. If nothing happen, that could be an error.

I'll look at it asap.

EDIT:

just performed full sweep of all the airports. Apart of those can't retrieve the metar string (it's an issue of the online service I'm linking with, can't be corrected ), I found strange issues with Gudauta, Kobuleti, Soganlung, Vaziani & Beslan. It's strange cause I don't have this issue in the previous code. I'll fix it asap.

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Last edited by chromium; 07-04-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
Blooze

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromium View Post
It's instantaneus usually, you should see modified parameters in the static weather setting. If nothing happen, that could be an error.

I'll look at it asap.
It seems to be working for Kutaisi and Batumi but when I try to use it for missions starting at Kobuleti nothing happens so maybe it's just a bug with that airfield. Thanks for offering this and I'll be looking forward to using it considering it does not use dynamic weather which has been a real frame rate killer for me in the past.
By the way, I'll be checking HERE to see how well it works.

Last edited by Blooze; 07-04-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Blooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
aceviper

Worked first time for me...downloaded the metar data and loaded it.
First flight out of Sukhumi....a pea souper at ground level.
Very nice addon which should probably be included in main program features.

Well done and thanks

aceviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
chromium
3rd Party Developer

The site its this one, Blooze :
http://www.aviationweather.gov/

Anyway, I found the issue, it seems that sometimes they found the ICAO code but can't provide the complete metar string to be parsed. That lead to a successful first data filter followed by errors due to lack of sufficient information.

I'll fix the download link asap.

The previous post report the airports that today are not working due to the explained issue.

PS: if someone could suggest a better site to download metar string, I will be happy to try to modify the metar parsing code I'm using (which is the great Tuomas Jormola metar library)

Old 07-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
chromium
3rd Party Developer

Fixed, now it will give the same error message from any airport where the metar string can't be parsed.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Blooze

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromium View Post
The site its this one, Blooze :
http://www.aviationweather.gov/

Anyway, I found the issue, it seems that sometimes they found the ICAO code but can't provide the complete metar string to be parsed. That lead to a successful first data filter followed by errors due to lack of sufficient information.

I'll fix the download link asap.

The previous post report the airports that today are not working due to the explained issue.

PS: if someone could suggest a better site to download metar string, I will be happy to try to modify the metar parsing code I'm using (which is the great Tuomas Jormola metar library)
Thanks for the link and I'll be watching for an updated version.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #10
chromium
3rd Party Developer

thanks to your feedback I was able to find this issue and I'm investigating further about site issues. I should be able to update the link to a rev 3 when further controls has been completed

Last edited by chromium; 07-04-2015 at 01:28 PM.