only flying dora in the world ? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #11
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOnTheOP View Post
I could have sworn Paul Allen (of Microsoft) has a flying-condition D-13 in Everett, WA. To the best of my knowledge, it has BEEN flown (to prove it can), but is not STILL flown (because it's too rare to risk destroying)
You are correct, same place as the A from the OP. They dont fly the D-13 because of how rare it is.

http://www.flyingheritage.com/
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #12
fastfreddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOnTheOP View Post
I could have sworn Paul Allen (of Microsoft) has a flying-condition D-13 in Everett, WA. To the best of my knowledge, it has BEEN flown (to prove it can), but is not STILL flown (because it's too rare to risk destroying)
Restored close to flying condition but never flown because of how rare it is.

A-5 in the original video not a Dora but maybe one day we will see one in the air ... replica or not. I'd love to see one of the 3rd parties make an A-3 or A-4 for some mid war engagements as more planes come online.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #13
IvanK
ED Testers Team

There is a "Dora" sort off rebuild project under way in the US however using an Allison that has been cowled and exhausted to keep the original Dora external lines.

Some images here:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...41511&start=30
IvanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
There are 3 Airworthy FW-190 currently i know off.
One With an Original BMW-801 shown in the Video off the first post.
I think Flugwerk made at first 5 of them, then more were ordered and I don't remember how much they built but finally some 8-9 I think. All of them are new ones, or ""restored"" remains (very few remains really) using the Flugwerk conversion to Chinese engine HS-7, a modern license build Shvetsov Ash-82. The model is called Fw-190A-8/N (N for "neubau", newly build) and got Werk nummern following last 190 built during WWII. But still they are newly build aircraft even though following blueprints, and they lacks some details, tanks sealing (so bigger tanks and more endurance), armor so they are lighter, and so that kind of things including a modern cockpit layout and systems.

The only real restored and with BMW801 engine flying in the world is FHC one.

No Doras, but AFAIK Flugwerk also planned a Dora build years ago, sadly no news yet of them airworthy. And of course it used a spare engine, may be Allison.

S!
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #15
Isegrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
I think Flugwerk made at first 5 of them, then more were ordered and I don't remember how much they built but finally some 8-9 I think. All of them are new ones, or ""restored"" remains (very few remains really) using the Flugwerk conversion to Chinese engine HS-7, a modern license build Shvetsov Ash-82. The model is called Fw-190A-8/N (N for "neubau", newly build) and got Werk nummern following last 190 built during WWII. But still they are newly build aircraft even though following blueprints, and they lacks some details, tanks sealing (so bigger tanks and more endurance), armor so they are lighter, and so that kind of things including a modern cockpit layout and systems.

The only real restored and with BMW801 engine flying in the world is FHC one.

No Doras, but AFAIK Flugwerk also planned a Dora build years ago, sadly no news yet of them airworthy. And of course it used a spare engine, may be Allison.

S!
They did build 20 FW 190-A/N kits, 16 are delivered, 2 of them are still at Flugwerk for spareparts and another 2 are still not finished. 3 of them are on static display in Museums or collections.

New DCS World KA-50 Blackshark and SU-25 Sound?

Bitte immer neue Wattestäbchen benutzen. Nicht nachschieben!

Last edited by Isegrim; 04-13-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Isegrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #16
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
They did build 20 FW 190-A/N kits, 16 are delivered, 2 of them are still at Flugwerk for spareparts and another 2 are still not finished. 3 of them are on static display in Museums or collections.
20!! Glad to hear that . I haven't had a chance yet to see one of them flying.

S!
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:38 AM   #17
Teapot

Absolutely awesome thread ... never was really into German WWII machines but those videos are very nice! Thank you!
Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!
Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote