Assign Frequency Presets for Helicopters in Mission Editor (Mod) - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Home Fries

Reputation power: 14
Home Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really nice
Default Assign Frequency Presets for Helicopters in Mission Editor (Mod)

• Have you been in your Ka-50 or Mi-8 and wished that the frequencies on the R-828 were useful?
  • As a mission builder, would you like to assign presets for the R-828, R-863, ARK-22, and ARC-51 so that everybody could tune into the same frequency?
  • Finally, would you like to change your radio presets without having to manually edit Lua files in your DCS World folder?
If you answered yes to any of these questions (or for that matter know any mission builder who answered yes), then this mod is for you!

What started as a function request on the Mi-8 subforum has become a full-fledged mod that is now available in the DCS User Files. Imp wrote some code that quickly inspired development across other helicopters/devices by tarres, Flagrum and Home Fries. Now we have on-the-fly adjustable presets for the following helicopters/radios:
  • Mi-8: R-828 and R-863 radios
  • Ka-50: R-828 radio and ARK-22 ADF
  • UH-1: ARC-51 UHF Radio (20 presets)

Here's how it works (Mission Builder):
  1. The mission builder installs the mod, and the presets are available for edit in the mission editor. I have set the starting values to the default values for each device (exception: R-863 which has no defaults, so I used a frequency list by Cibit).
  2. The mission builder sets the frequencies desired for each preset on each applicable radio.
  3. Upon saving the mission, the presets are stored in the mission itself. No need to manually edit frequencies in DCS World Lua files!

How it Works (Player):
  1. Players/Clients with helicopters need to have the mod installed (master mod and whatever helicopter modules they have). This is necessary for the updated Lua code.
  2. The updated Lua code assigns the default presets, but checks for presets in the mission file and assigns those presets on the fly if they exist. If no presets exist in the mission editor (i.e. mission created without the mod), then the default presets remain.
This way, there is no risk in keeping the mod installed. The default presets will be loaded with any unmodded mission, and any client that does not have the mod loaded with a modded mission will just get the default frequencies. There are no known crash issues or compatibility issues with this mod (other than people who don't have the mod not tuning the frequencies).

One note: saving a modded mission with an unmodded mission editor will remove any frequency preset values, making it a "normal" mission.

The mod is JSGME compatible and comes in four components: a master component and all three helicopters. Only enable the helicopter mods for modules that you own.

Here's hoping that this feature becomes part of a future build of DCS World. In the meantime, make it part of your own DCS World!

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

My DCS Files and Skins
My AJS-37 Viggen Skins
My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs

Last edited by Home Fries; 03-17-2015 at 01:13 AM. Reason: ARK-22 limitations removed
Home Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Tarres

Reputation power: 8
Tarres has a spectacular aura aboutTarres has a spectacular aura aboutTarres has a spectacular aura aboutTarres has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Home Fries!

One question... Do you think it´s posible to make the same thing for the A-10C radios?
I am able to implement the editor part, but I don´t get it to work in the sim.

Great work!
Tarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
Home Fries

Home Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really nice

I'm not sure, Tarres; enabling the helicopters was primarily just use of "end" commands in the ME luas. That said, if the presets are editable in the mission but not readable in the aircraft, then adding the code to the UHF radio lua should be possible.

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.

My DCS Files and Skins
My AJS-37 Viggen Skins
Old 03-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Cibit
Veteran

Reputation power: 39
Cibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to all

Great work mate. Now I need to relearn flying KA50

Cibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Home Fries

Thank you for your contributions, Cibit.

FYI everybody, the OP has been updated with important ARK-22 workaround information.

My DCS Files and Skins
My AJS-37 Viggen Skins
Old 03-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Flagrum
Veteran

Reputation power: 29
Flagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Fries View Post
  • Do not apply the following airfield beacons in the mission editor, as they conflict with other airfields and cannot currently be resolved in the LUA files:
    • Smolenskaya - 662khz
    • Kosovoslk - 995khz
    • Grozny-East - 830khz
    • Kalaus - 735khz
    • Gali - 525khz
    • Senaki Inner - 129khz (below ARK-22 frequency threshold)
What is exactly the issue here? Iirc the ARK should work fine, only the corresponding entry on the beacon placard will not be resolved to a airfield name, but list just the frequency.

edit:
re-checked it in the cockpit ... ok, the first matching airfield is listed on the placard - is it that what you meant?
The author of this posting can not be held responsible for the content, the layout, the typography or colouring of the posting above. This is a beta version of the text and may not represent the final form of the author's thoughts. Everthing is subject to change.

[Do you use a FFB device?]

Last edited by Flagrum; 03-07-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
Home Fries

I'll PM you, Flagrum.

EDIT: it appears that the placard is the only issue. I've been juggling PM's regarding this issue, and I'll see what I can do to bring you into the loop.

My DCS Files and Skins
My AJS-37 Viggen Skins

Last edited by Home Fries; 03-07-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
stdsk

Reputation power: 0
stdsk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much! It is very useful.
stdsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
Flagrum
Veteran

Reputation power: 29
Flagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of light

@Home Fries & @Tarres

I've fiddled around with the ARK-22 code.

This is what I've done so far:
1. ME radio tab for ARK-22: changed wording of the labels, corrected wrong default preset for #8/inner.

2. Corrected an issue where a preset freq. in the ME was not always loaded correctly into the ARK-22 in the helo. (If one subchannel was a runway marker beacon, the other subchannel automatically was set to the other runway beacon, no matter what was set in the ME)

3. The inscription of the placard now works as follows:
Spoiler:
The ARK-22 presets are split into two subchannels (inner/outer) per channel (1-. This way, the beacon pairs at the end of the runways can be easily selected in the cockpit. Nevertheless, it is possible to use the ARK-22 for other types of beacons.

In the cockpit, the placard on the right lists all presets. Each selectable ARK preset is divided into two entries, one for the inner beacon, one for the outer beacon. If a different beacon type is used as preset, this "I"/"O" indication is a bit misleading. Therefore I added an additional hint (a "*" in front of the beacon name) to allow to distinguish between those.

Therefore this basic rule applies: if the beacon name is of the form "* beacon" it is NOT an inner or outer runway beacon as the placard indicator would suggest. It is rather either an general airdome beacon, a NDB or any other radio transmitter. The "I"/"O" indication is more a subchannel identification in the cockpit than necessarily a description of the beacon type itself.

This will probably become much clearer once you see the example in the attachment:

Remarks for the examples:
channel 1
525 KHz as outer beacon = Mozdok Outer
525 KHz as inner beacon: no inner beacon exists with that freq., but there is NDB Gali

channel 2
(here I reversed the freq. for outer and inner of channel 3)
830 Khz as outer: no outer beacon with that freq. exists, but NDB Grozy does
408 KHz as inner: no inner beacon exists, no airdome beacon and no NDB. Therefore only the frequency is shown

channel 3
408 as outer beacon = Krymsk outer
830 as inner beacon = Krymsk inner
(just listed here as complement to example for channel 2)

channel 4
430 as outer beacon: no inner or outer beacons exist, but airdome beacon Batumi does
666 as inner beacon: random example, similar to channel 2/inner

channel 5-7
original ARK presets

channel 8
original presets (yes, those always were NDBs)

What do you guys think? Is this intelligibly and coherent? Are all your cases covered, Torres?

If you think this will work, I will clean up my code a bit and hand it over to Home Fries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ark-22.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	114597  
The author of this posting can not be held responsible for the content, the layout, the typography or colouring of the posting above. This is a beta version of the text and may not represent the final form of the author's thoughts. Everthing is subject to change.

[Do you use a FFB device?]

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
Tarres

Reputation power: 8
Tarres has a spectacular aura aboutTarres has a spectacular aura aboutTarres has a spectacular aura aboutTarres has a spectacular aura about

I will send you a PM but, if I have to make an overview...

Perfect and elegant as always Flagurm.

Thanks.
Tarres is offline   Reply With Quote