My A-10C home cockpit project

SpeedBird

Hello!

I'm Antoine, 19 years old from France. I'm working on an A-10C home cockpit for more than 1 year now.

This project is a challenge but it is also a big dream for me.

I have a Facebook page for my project but I never created a post on the ED forum so let's go!

Here is the actual setup : (ACES II replica; projectors;... are coming soon)

Uc5Z22p.jpg

Ynghc2i.jpgYnghc2i.jpg

rcmyPbh.jpg

iKcuZwM.jpg

I hope you will like to follow my project :)

Feel free to ask me questions.

See you!

Uc5Z22p

Dude I don't think he is one of the O.R crowd you just might be able to see if you look close enough on a real LCD he is sitting in a cockpit there for no need for a virtual one.:music_whistling: just sayin

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Dude I don't think he is one of the O.R crowd you just might be able to see if you look close enough on a real LCD he is sitting in a cockpit there for no need for a virtual one. :music_whistling: just sayin

...Hmmmm.....don't know about that one deadman. I'm seeing quite a few you tube DCS videos where people are showing how they no longer use that old stuff because the Rift is so much more real and fun. :music_whistling:

.....just sayin'.

• Like 2

Asus Rampage V X99 | Win 7 x64 | i7 5930 @ 3.5 GHz | 32GB RAM | Nvidia GTX780ti | Logitech G940 | Oculus Rift DK2

Do you really have to try and hijack every thread into a discussion about how marvellous the Oculus Rift is ?

Many of us couldn't care less about that device.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

I agree with Extranajero. As great and revolutionary the Oculus Rift may be ... what happens when you need to use the keyboard??? This pit that Speedbird is working on is something i would MUCH RATHER HAVE than an Oculus Rift, hell ... look at the panels i build even. There's a realistic feel in looking around the pit and feeling the buttons and switches too.

This video sums up my reasoning perfectly. there's a number of times where he mentions how great the cockpit looks ... and how if feels like you could just "reach out and touch it" ... well, that's what myself, Speedbird, and others do with our pits and control panels.

I'll take a rift for an arcade style game or FPS, but in a simulator where you have 100+ buttons and switches, nope ... give me a pit any day

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

Very nice indeed.

I'm turning in a 40 page essay tomorrow (yea, done) so hopefully I'll be able to get back to finishing the wiring for my panels.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

...Hmmmm.....don't know about that one deadman. I'm seeing quite a few you tube DCS videos where people are showing how they no longer use that old stuff because the Rift is so much more real and fun. :music_whistling:

.....just sayin'.

Yes...for you...it can't be that hard to understand that not everyone is crazy about the rift or any VR?

For me the rift wouldn't increase immersion, I need to flick switches and have tactile inputs to feel really immersed.

It's not about the rift being "the new stuff" and triple screens, switched etc are the old stuff...it's two different ways of doing it.

To me the rift is like 3D in movies...it's a gimmick that won't let me enjoy the game more.

Saying he should get a rift with the pit he's working on kinda shows that you haven't grasped what he's doing and is in no way helpfull to what he's going for.

May have been a bit too harsh, but so is saying if you aren't playing DCS with the rift, you aren't playing DCS (from another thread, I know).

Just my 2 cents.

Just goes to show how deep into this hobby we can get, love the flight suit and helmet!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Hello guys!

I really appreciate all of your comments! Thank you.

Sabre-TLA: Yes. I use HELIOS for displaying the main instruments.

_Randolph93: Yes. A friend of mine has build all the panels for me.

[FSF]Ian: I use BBI-32 I/0 cards from Leo Bodnar.

SafetyTurtle: The stick extension is home made with PVC pipes.

About the Occulus Rift my personal point of view is that it's better to have the full cockpit reproduction for real and to interact with all the real switches instead of a virtual display.

XplyBI5.jpg

• 1 month later...

.....just sayin'.

Yeah right..you have a very nice virtual cockpit but you CAN'T INTERACT with it at all !!

Let's imagine that the resolution problem is solved, I don't see a pair of tracking gloves that will give you the feedback feel of flicking a switch or pushing a button. You could use small vibe motors but given the amount of small switches in a panel the precision for flicking the right one would be a real problem since the sense of depth given by the rift is virtual! lens distorted!!

Definitively the Rift isn't made for serious flight simming

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR