[FW 190D-9] JV44 "Galland Circus" Red 13

Mainstay

Red13 JV44 Gallands flying circus

Flown by Hptm Klaus Faber.

Focke-Wulf Fw 190D9 Red 13 JV44 Munchen-Riem Germany late April 1945 The pilot of this aircraft has been identified as Hptm. Klaus Faber, a former member of JG27, JG6 and as depicted here JV44. Red 13 was rumoured to be exceptionally fast at low level.

Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9, W.Nr. 213240, Oblt. Klaus Faber, Ainring airbase, Austria, May 1945

This aircraft also carried a slogan on the port side with a light hearted connotation to it, 'Rein Muss er, und wenn wir beide weinen' ('he must go in, even if we both cry'). Faber stated that on the 2nd or 3rd of May, 1945, he shot down one, prehaps two, P-47s near Bad Aibling. In all probability, he was flying this airplane at the time. Together with Wübke's Red '3', Red '13' fell into the hands of the Allies at Ainring. The black-white-red emblem on the port side of the fuselage under the cockpit designates Headquarters (black and white checkerboard) protected by the flight of red aircraft (red circle).

Small details :

- Handwritten Fuselage markings and numbers

- Black/Yellow spinner with white spiral lightly visible through yellow

- Black/green propeller

- Unevenly spaced white lines on bottom

- Mottling on tail section

Y0ofNoU.jpg

hHpdO1Z.jpg

pU9ZTFr.jpg

10HscMs.jpg

XfBuNtP.jpg

Downloadlinks :

Mediafire :

Happy Flying everyone

pilotfly.gifand greetings from Misha smilewink.gif

Edited by Mainstay
  • Like 1

g8PjVMw.png

Hi mainstay

nice selection. If i remember correctly this ac was taken at Regensburg and was a hotrod. Have to search where i read about "Papageienschwarm". The name was not used during the war ("parrot squadron") but i think many of you know that story.

Glad to see this one too.

My favorite anyway is the D-11, Red 4 with its inscription.

Der nächste Herr, dieselbe Dame!

S!

Made some good progress today. Keeping the handwritten markings on the fuselage original soaks alot of time but i managed to get them all right.

Make finale adjustments to paint pattern and then some weathering left to do and Normal / Spec maps.

WIP update

j4RTzet.jpg

g8PjVMw.png

If I remember correctly this ac was taken at Regensburg and was a hotrod. Have to search where I read about "Papageienschwarm". The name was not used during the war ("parrot squadron") but i think many of you know that story.
Wasn't it at Ainring (Salzburg) that this plane, Oblt. Klaus Faber's, fell into enemy's hands together with Hptm. Waldemar Wübke's "Red 3"?

And that on May 3, 1945, Faver shot down a P-47 near Bad Aibling with "Red 13"? The checkerboard means headquarters, the red circle around it protection (unit). "Red 13" was rumored to fly exceptionally fast at low level. It's great to see the "Papageienstaffel" (: parrot squadron) come alive.

I would applaud addition of "Red 3" and "Red 4" as well as a correction of "Red 1" to complete the Staffel for Me.262 support duty, but understand Mainstay will be very busy for a while with the MiG-21Bis (as he should) ;)

Thanks for this wonderful addition though Mainstay!

ROT13Original.jpg

product1e.jpg

AINRING-bw.jpg

Ainringplan.jpg

Themembers.jpg

Left to right: Lt. Heinz Sachsenberg "Red 1", Hptm. Waldemar Wübke "Red 3", Oblt. Klaus Faber "Red 13", Lt. Karl-Heinz Hoffmann "Red 4".

Fabber.jpg

(source: Jerry Crandall's "Doras of the Galland Circus")

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

Am I right in saying that this particular unit had this highly unusual paint job on their underside, was because they performed airfield 'top cover' for aerodromes operating the ME262?

I really wondered WHY? when I first saw the ED skin.

I recall reading something along those lines (whilst looking at the A-frame stuff...), ...so the flak gunners could ID the friendlies? Because the allies found that attacking the 262, on take off or landing was the only / best way to get at the 262?

Such an interesting subject when you scratch the surface... !

Must read more... :)

Yes thats true

but what i have meant, (if i remember correctly) when Klaus Faber was transferred, he made his way with a bycicle to Regensburg to get his new plane, Rote 13.

Wasn't it at Ainring (Salzburg) that this plane, Oblt. Klaus Faber's, fell into enemy's hands together with Hptm. Waldemar Wübke's "Red 3"?

And that on May 3, 1945, Faver shot down a P-47 near Bad Aibling with "Red 13"? The checkerboard means headquarters, the red circle around it protection (unit). "Red 13" was rumored to fly exceptionally fast at low level. It's great to see the "Papageienstaffel" (:parrot squadron) come alive.

I would applaud addition of "Red 3" and "Red 4" as well as a correction of "Red 1" to complete the Staffel for Me.262 support duty, but understand Mainstay will be very busy for a while with the MiG-21Bis (as he should) ;)

Thanks for this wonderful addition though Mainstay!

ROT13Original.jpg

product1e.jpg

AINRING-bw.jpg

Ainringplan.jpg

Themembers.jpg

Left to right: Lt. Heinz Sachsenberg "Red 1", Hptm. Waldemar Wübke "Red 3", Oblt. Klaus Faber "Red 13", Lt. Karl-Heinz Hoffmann "Red 4".

Fabber.jpg

(source: Jerry Crandall's "Doras of the Galland Circus")

Thats it. You are right. It was for the ID, not to be shoot down by friendly Flak.

As you know, German flak crew shoot at everything because of allied air superority.

Am I right in saying that this particular unit had this highly unusual paint job on their underside, was because they performed airfield 'top cover' for aerodromes operating the ME262?

I really wondered WHY? when I first saw the ED skin.

I recall reading something along those lines (whilst looking at the A-frame stuff...), ...so the flak gunners could ID the friendlies? Because the allies found that attacking the 262, on take off or landing was the only / best way to get at the 262?

Such an interesting subject when you scratch the surface... !

Must read more... :)

Red 13 is ready ill release her today just making some nice release pictures etc

Hello Mainstay, great news...

Please can you tell us if you give us one link or from the ED library ?

Thanks again, Skull.

Hello Mainstay,

You link from your Dropbox don't work is it normal ?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...90D9_Red13.rar

Please can you fix this little prob ?

Once again congratulation for this awesome repaint !!!

Skull.

Yeah dropbox decided i generate to much traffic..... SIGH

Hello,

If I well understand I must wait this traffic is more light ?

Thx ^^

Hello again dear Mainstay,

Thanks for this new link, now everything work fine ^^

Now I go test your repaint, thanks again. Skull

Dear Mainstay,

I've tested your repaint and I can say just one thing: AWESOME and INCREDIBLE !!!!

About the screenshots, yes with pleasure. Thanks again, Skull