TM Warthog throttle repair - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
<Grizzly>

Smile TM Warthog throttle repair

Hi guys.

I promised a few guys to share my progress and story on this, so here it is.

After a few years with my trusty warthog (purchased 2012-07-02 exactly) it decided to die on me.
Just one of those quick standart days where you need to rearrange your wires behind the PC and need to disconnect the USB.

Apparently, the warthog is not a big fan of that...
When I reconnected it, it quickly blipped all the green lights and turned them off again at an instant, instead of keeping them lit.

So I tried everything there is to try, again and again like a crazy person, and ended up contacting thrustmasters.. All in all, the error was that windows didnt recognise the USB device at all.

They had a few options I could try, but nothing I hadnt done my self. So all in all, there was nothing to do and the diagnose was what I feared the most.
The mainboard on the throttle was fried. Yet another fail from TM on this expensive but cheap made piece of......... (Because amongs other things, apperantly this is quite a cheap and easy fixing by putting a condensator on the usb power before it reaches the mainboard)

After a few days of emailing back and fourth, they chose to give me a great offer I couldn't refuse. They would send me a new mainboard for 48,8 euro.

Quote:
From the invoice that you have provided us with we can see that your Warthog assembly has passed the warranty period.
The price of a new main board is 48.8 euro, shipping fees included.
So, the fact that they are selling these as spare parts, tells me they are aware of this issure and know it is happening. As far as I could read on google searches I was not the only one with this issue.
But I'll be a good boy today and thank them for their excellent support. Which I really mean, the email support was great and fast.

So, picture time of my disassembly. Please note, what you are about to see is not because of mis-use. I have treated this puppy with care it's hole life.

What I see when first opening it up.

Right. So the plastic they decided to keep this heavy piece of equipment together with, can't tolerate to be unscrewn without breaking into pieces?
The plastic is very brittle! The left one is my trying to glue it. I need to redo that.

Close up MB:

Glue removed and unplugged the pluggies:

The MB underneath:

The only spot that's welded to the MB. with the USB cord. I dont think the new one will ship with an attached cord.

Also, interestingly there is to identical plates in the bottom of the thottle casing. The toolmarks on the holes is NOT made by me, and is only visible after dissasembly. All the fatty greasy stuff is leftover silicone or something from the throttles I think.

...Also.. Knee ^

I must say, I dont hate the warthog, and I enjoy flying with it.. But I am a bit dissapointed by the quality on the insides.
What keeps it from frying the MB again some day in the future?.. I do consider selling this when repaired and get something else due to the fear of it going out again.

That's it.
I'll keep you updated when I recieve the spare part from TM, and hopefully I can assemble it again without all the rest of the holes for the screws goes pouff.. Luckly the TM is so heavy and stationary at my place so it will work out no matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.JPG
Views:	10378
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	103844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.JPG
Views:	5263
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	103845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440.JPG
Views:	6125
Size:	623.4 KB
ID:	103846  

Name:	IMG_0441.JPG
Views:	4779
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	103849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442.JPG
Views:	5135
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	103850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.JPG
Views:	4695
Size:	742.9 KB
ID:	103851  

Name:	IMG_0444.JPG
Views:	4537
Size:	716.4 KB
ID:	103852  

Last edited by <Grizzly>; 08-31-2014 at 08:33 PM.
<Grizzly> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
<Grizzly>

Reserved for update!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
s1man

Wow this sounds almost the same as what happened to me a few weeks ago... changing my simpit unplugging cables etc, plugged the throttle back in and the lights just flashed briefly and it wasnt recognised by win 7.
Unplugged all cables and just put the warthog in, still the same, tried it on another pc, still the same.
Resigned myself to the fact it was dead... the next day just on the off chance i thought well i havent tried plugging it into my powered usb hub... and what do you know it works perfect now. still wont get recognised on its own if i plug it in my machine, but through the powered hub its fine... weird..
You probably already tried that and now your getting a new mobo for it i guess it dont help now but just incase anyone else reads this and has the same problem it might be worth a try.
Whether it works for anyone else i have no idea but ive been counting my blessings for the past few weeks now
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
<Grizzly>

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1man View Post
Wow this sounds almost the same as what happened to me a few weeks ago... changing my simpit unplugging cables etc, plugged the throttle back in and the lights just flashed briefly and it wasnt recognised by win 7.
Unplugged all cables and just put the warthog in, still the same, tried it on another pc, still the same.
Resigned myself to the fact it was dead... the next day just on the off chance i thought well i havent tried plugging it into my powered usb hub... and what do you know it works perfect now. still wont get recognised on its own if i plug it in my machine, but through the powered hub its fine... weird..
You probably already tried that and now your getting a new mobo for it i guess it dont help now but just incase anyone else reads this and has the same problem it might be worth a try.
Whether it works for anyone else i have no idea but ive been counting my blessings for the past few weeks now
Hmm, that do sound wierd. And nope, that is actually the one thing I havent tried. I allways thought of usb hubs to be the most unsafe thing to use when it comes to stable currents and what not. In fact, TM specifically asked me if this problem happened when pluggin it to a HUB or directly to the PC. They did not advise me to try plugging it into a hub.

But yeah, thanks that might help someone in the future and good luck on keeping it alive hehe
Old 08-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
plehmann

hi Grizzly,

maybe its me but there is a nail embedded in the hot melt glue ?!?!?!?! the red cable on the picture of unplugging the pluggies...
plehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
s1man

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Grizzly> View Post
Hmm, that do sound wierd. And nope, that is actually the one thing I havent tried. I allways thought of usb hubs to be the most unsafe thing to use when it comes to stable currents and what not. In fact, TM specifically asked me if this problem happened when pluggin it to a HUB or directly to the PC. They did not advise me to try plugging it into a hub.

But yeah, thanks that might help someone in the future and good luck on keeping it alive hehe
Thanks, yeah i always thought the same about hubs which is why i only had unimportant things plugged in, everything important like the warthog went straight to the pc before...
Guess we will see if it lasts
Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
cichlidfan
Veteran

That does look odd, from the picture at least.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nail.JPG
Views:	751
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	103861  
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
aeliusg

Maybe show Thrustmaster support this picture? Of course the nail didn't affect anything, but they can't absolutely say it didn't.
aeliusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Pilotasso
Veteran

fixed this by changing PC and upgrade the firmware.
Case: Corsair 400C
PSU: SEASONIC 760W Platinum
CPU: AMD RYZEN 2700X @ 4.2Ghz
RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3533Mhz CL 15 CR=1T
MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4
GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X
Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals
Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P
Pilotasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
<Grizzly>

What the hell. Nice catch with the nail! There is a freaking nail in there!! It doesnt touch anything though so I dont think it's the cause.

Pilotasso, Im not sure you fixed this. It's not the same error you have had but something similar. I will allmost garantee you my problem is not something you can solve with software.

There is another "common" occurance that wipes the firmware from the MB on either the joystick or throttle also due to voltage fluctuations which I think is what most people will experience. Mine just took the full jump I guess. This can be reset by holding down Brake horn silencer and A/P engage button down while connecting it to the usb. This will reset the unit completely, forcing windows to recognise the unit or something like that.

In order to install a new firmware, the unit must be recognised by windows in the first place.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/faqs/eng/thr_eng_00140.pdf

Last edited by <Grizzly>; 08-31-2014 at 10:21 PM.