P-51D Alabama Rammer Jammer skin - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Basco1

Default P-51D Alabama Rammer Jammer skin

Guys,is there somebody that recreate 2nd Lt Arthur C.Cundy's P-51D,'Alabama Rammer Jammer',from 352nd FS,353rd FG of period October 1944?

I know 'Archangel' created a superb later version of this skin,but this is an ealier version.

It is quite different,to his later version,for a start it has the black squadron codes on the fuselarge,minus the yellow outline,which was painted/applied only to the later version.The 'B' code has a small dash beneath the letter 'B'on both sides.

It also sports the black vertical stripes on the wings and tail,as well as a horizontal black stripe across the tail.On this version he only has the one kill,there is also a text within a yellowish patch aft of the aircraft name on the port side.

The B/W pictures at the bottom,show Cundy and other members of 353rd FG crowding around this very said aircraft,note the one kill sign under the opened canopy,the last B/W picture shows Cundy and group standing on the starboard side of this aircraft.

I have contacted Archangel but he has not been on here since March so maybe he has gone elsewhere now.I think this is a real beauty of a skin and would love to see it's creation so if there is a skinner out there that could do justice to this aicreaft I would be really grateful,thank you.

Last edited by Basco1; 08-14-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Basco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Marmusman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basco1 View Post
Guys,is there somebody that recreate 2nd Lt Arthur C.Cundy's P-51D,'Alabama Rammer Jammer',from 352nd FS,353rd FG of period October 1944?

I know 'Archangel' created a superb later version of this skin,but this is an ealier version.

It is quite different,to his later version,for a start it has the black squadron codes on the fuselarge,minus the yellow outline,which was painted/applied only to the later version.The 'B' code has a small dash beneath the letter 'B'on both sides.

It also sports the black vertical stripes on the wings and tail,as well as a horizontal black stripe across the tail.On this version he only has the one kill,there is also a text within a yellowish patch aft of the aircraft name on the port side.

The B/W pictures at the bottom,show Cundy and other members of 353rd FG crowding around this very said aircraft,note the one kill sign under the opened canopy,the last B/W picture shows Cundy and group standing on the starboard side of this aircraft.

I have contacted Archangel but he has not been on here since March so maybe he has gone elsewhere now.I think this is a real beauty of a skin and would love to see it's creation so if there is a skinner out there that could do justice to this aicreaft I would be really grateful,thank you.
Looks like an interesting project. I have only worked on A-10C skins.....is there a layered template file for the P-51?

[edit] Never mind, I found the template on DCS main site.

Last edited by Marmusman; 08-14-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Marmusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Basco1

Yeah,this is a real beauty Marmusman,if I can help you in anyway you only have to pm me mate

Old 08-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Whiplash

I really like this one as well. I have been working on a new bare metal template that would be a good base for anyone wanting to make this one. If I get some time I'll see if I can give it my best attempt.

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."
Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Basco1

Thanks Whiplash,yes please join the party,it deserves the best

EDIT:I have noticed on closer study that the name of the aircraft 'ALABAMA RAMMER JAMMER' is outlined in a yellow outline just for reference.

Last edited by Basco1; 08-14-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Whiplash

Quote:
Thanks Whiplash,yes please join the party,it deserves the best

EDIT:I have noticed on closer study that the name of the aircraft 'ALABAMA RAMMER JAMMER' is outlined in a yellow outline just for reference.
Thanks, hopefully I can do it justice. I see what you mean by the yellow, I just did a quick google search for it. The text I used is from here. I threw it up on my bare metal template and did some work on the nose during my lunch break. Using some other stuff I have done on my other projects the rest should go pretty fast.

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."
Old 08-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
Marmusman

Nice!
Marmusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
Basco1

Wow........very nice!........are you aware Whiplash that the checkered section at the front is a little wider,and has three sets of checkers along it's width?

That's a very nice bare metal finish base mate.

Last edited by Basco1; 08-14-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
Whiplash

Quote:
Wow........very nice!........are you aware Whiplash that the checkered section at the front is a little wider,and has three sets of checkers along it's width?

That's a very nice bare metal finish base mate.
ha ha I am now.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
Shahdoh

Might want to look closer at the name, its "Rammer" not "Rammep." I see from the picture it sort of looks like a P but closer inspection reveals some of the paint on the R is scraped/worn off. Might be able to recreate the look by using an R and then erase a portion of it.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote