Notices

Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
SimFreak
Veteran

Reputation power: 58
SimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to beholdSimFreak is a splendid one to behold
Default DCS Fw 190 D-9 Flight Manual

Very early version of 190 flight manual is attached to the bottom.

Please review and share mistakes, oddities or inaccuracies.

Update by Chizh (2014-06-27)
Corrected Flight Manual here.

Update by Chizh (2014-07-01)
Corrected Flight Manual attached.

Update by Chizh (2014-07-08 )

Update by Chizh (2014-07-10 )

Update by Chizh (2014-08-07 )

Update by Chizh (2014-09-05 )
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DCS Fw 190 D-9 Flight Manual EN.pdf (9.31 MB, 5508 views)

Last edited by Chizh; 09-05-2014 at 12:30 PM.
SimFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Ala13_ManOWar

Reputation power: 10
Ala13_ManOWar is a jewel in the rough

You said to comment details on early Dora manual? Well, page 8, "figure 2: FW190A-4 in flight". She's a well known Fw190G-8 captured by US forces in 1944, actually repainted in German markings after tests at USA flying for the picture. Far from any early A-4. I think it's same National Air & Space Museum preserved aircraft, but not sure about that.

S!
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
GT 5.0

Reputation power: 6
GT 5.0 has a spectacular aura about

thanks for the release of the manual!
GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Flagrum
Veteran

Reputation power: 25
Flagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of light

page 24:
Quote:
Bediengerät Engine Control Unit
The Junkers Jumo 213 engine comes equipped with a Bediengerät Engine Control Unit. It is similar in
function to the Kommandogerät command device used on BMW-801-powered earlier variants of the Fw 190.
The english translation of the german terms should probably be put between parenthesis:
Quote:
Bediengerät - Engine Control Unit
The Junkers Jumo 213 engine comes equipped with a Bediengerät (Engine Control Unit). It is similar in function to the Kommandogerät (Command Device) used on BMW-801-powered earlier variants of the Fw 190.

page 25, paragraph 2:

Quote:
(...) That enables the Drehzahl rocker switch on the throttle quadrant to set propeller pitch to Größer (Coarse) or Kleiner (Fine). (...)
The blade pitch angle is not "coarse" or "fine", it is "larger" or "smaller" (or is "bigger" and "smaller" better?), isn't it?

Disregard this, "Coarse" and "Fine" seem to be the better terms (http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...64&postcount=9).

page 32:
Quote:
Oil System
A 55-liyrt circular oil tank is located in the nose, protected by an armored ring. The oil cooler is also
protected by the ring.
55-liyrt --> 55-liters
And in the next paragraph some temperatures are mentioned. It should probably be stated that these are in degree Celsius.

page 39, paragraph 2:
Quote:
The FuG 16ZY can also be set to "Leitjäger" or Fighter Formation Leader mode that allows it to use a special Y-Verfarhen ground tracking and direction via the normal headphones.
Y-Verfarhen --> Y-Verfahren
... But the whole sentence is somewhat difficult to understand. "Verfahren" means "method". So, while having no clue what this "Y-method" actually is, I can only guess ... maybe something like this would be better:
Quote:
The FuG 16ZY can also be set to "Leitjäger" or Fighter Formation Leader mode that allows it to use a special Y-Verfahren (ground tracking and direction finding method) via the normal headphones.

page 44:

The reddish/brownish colour of some instruments (air speed indicator, variometer) on that page, or rather in the cockpit itself (as seen in other screenshots on the forums as well) looks odd to me. Hrm ... I don't want to be an ass, but was this the source for that: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/sha...-1234P-002.jpg ? Note the manually scribbled km markings at the speed indicator and compare those to the markings of the DCS Fw 190 ... Well, erm, that reddish/brownish colour ... that isn't rust in our plane, isn't it?

page 62:
Quote:
Fuel Tank Selector Lever
The lever is used to open or close the forward and rear fuel tanks depending on flight conditions.
The four possible settings are:
• “Auf” - Open
• “Vorderer behalter zu” - Forward tank closed
• “Hinterer behalter zu” - Aft tank closed
• “Zu” - Closed
behalter --> Behälter

page 63:
Quote:
MBG Emergency Mode Handle
This handle is connected via cable to the aircraft’s MotorBediengerät (MBG). In normal position MBG operates in automatic mode. In case of emergency, the handle can be pulled to allow the engine to operate at higher boost pressure than normal.
1. MotorBediengerät --> Motorbediengerät
2. The handle is labled "Notzug für Bedien-Getr.", abbreviated for "Notzug für Bedien-Getriebe". Getriebe = gear box or gear mechanism while Gerät = device. I suppose, the gear mechanism ("Bedien-Getr.") is just a part of the engine control unit ("Motorbediengerät"). Maybe this needs a bit more detailing?

page 72:
Quote:
Figure 68: Throttle Lever
The throttle gate is marked with four standard positions: Aus (Off), Anlassen (Cruise), Steigen (Climb) and Start.
The translation of "Anlassen" as "Cruise" seems odd to me. I know the term "Anlassen" only as the process of starting an engine (i.e. "start"). In this context, I would assume that the other lever position labelled "Start" means "take off".
The throttle positions would then be: "Off" - "Engine start" - "Climb" - "Take off" ... that would make more sense, no?

page 74:
Quote:
Figure 71: Horizontal Stabilizer Trim Switch
The two available positions are "Kopf-lasting" (Up) and "Schwanz-lasting" (Down).
The hyphenation of the switch labels is odd ... well, wrong. And therefore the description text is also incorrect. The hyphen belongs at the end of the first line. The labels should read therefore
Kopf-
lastig
and
Schwanz-
lastig
and the discription should not include the hyphen and thus just read
Quote:
Figure 71: Horizontal Stabilizer Trim Switch
The two available positions are "Kopflastig" (Up) and "Schwanzlastig" (Down).
But I can not completely rule out that such labeling back then wasn't used...
Note also it is "...lastig", not "...lasting".

page 75:
Quote:
Horizontal Stabilizer Trim Indicator
The indicator shows the current position of the adjustable Horizontal Stabilier.
Stabilier --> Stabilizer

page 78, chapter "Communications - Homing Switch"
I think, this chapter could be detailed a bit more in general. The meaning and actual use of the settings "Ft" and "Abst" are not clear (to me). The implications of the two different frequencies for sending and receiving for setting I (and II?) are also quite foggy (again, to me), the meaning of the comment in the red box totally escapes me...
All in all, personally, I would appreciate some more details of how the radio works and how it is (meant) to be used.

page 81:
Quote:
Figure 77: Circuit Breakers, covers up.
The circuit backer name of device is typed on the cover.
backer --> breaker

page 88:
Quote:
Switch on Fuel pumps with right console circuit breakers:
o E14 forward tank pump
o E13 aft tank pump
o E96 auxiliary fuel pomp if external tank is connected
o E85 MW50 valve if necessary
pomp --> pump

page 89:
Quote:
Engine Warnup
Warnup --> Warmup

page 90:
Quote:
Taxing
Taxing --> Taxiing
The author of this posting can not be held responsible for the content, the layout, the typography or colouring of the posting above. This is a beta version of the text and may not represent the final form of the author's thoughts. Everthing is subject to change.

Last edited by Flagrum; 06-09-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
GT 5.0

Reputation power: 6
GT 5.0 has a spectacular aura about

Now I wonder if my suggestion that it be released a couple of weeks ago was heard...but thanks again, it will give us a chance to learn the aircraft
GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Narushima

Reputation power: 3
Narushima will become famous soon enough

Awesome read. Found a tiny mistake.

"The instrument is graduated from 0 to 4500 and indicates engine speed as Revolutions Per Minute (RPM) in hundreds of RPM. The face is scaled to 100 RPM throughout. The normal operating RPM is 1600 - 2400. The maximum normal RPM is 3000."

If you look at the image in the manual next to this text you can clearly see that the gauge only goes up to 3500 RPM.
Narushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Aginor
Veteran

Reputation power: 20
Aginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of lightAginor is a glorious beacon of light

Good work, Flagrum, you found all the errors I wanted to post and two more.

@ED: Already a nice manual, most stuff in there is most informative.
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
Flagrum
Veteran

Reputation power: 25
Flagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of lightFlagrum is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aginor View Post
Good work, Flagrum, you found all the errors I wanted to post and two more.

@ED: Already a nice manual, most stuff in there is most informative.
Thanks! ;o)

After reading it, it became apparent to me, that the beginning is quite extensive and very informative. After about the first half the chapters became more and more a tad bit short-spoken - so to say. But for such an early draft, as was it mentioned by Matt already, I was still impressed and enjoyed the read quite much. Thank you, ED!
The author of this posting can not be held responsible for the content, the layout, the typography or colouring of the posting above. This is a beta version of the text and may not represent the final form of the author's thoughts. Everthing is subject to change.

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
MACADEMIC

Reputation power: 9
MACADEMIC is just really niceMACADEMIC is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
page 24:
The english translation of the german terms should probably be put between parenthesis:
page 25, paragraph 2:
The blade pitch angle is not "coarse" or "fine", it is "larger" or "smaller" (or is "bigger" and "smaller" better?), isn't it?
Flagrum,

Nice work, but the english terms 'coarse' and 'fine' are correct in connection with propeller blade angles.

MAC
MACADEMIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
Krupi

Reputation power: 7
Krupi is a jewel in the rough

Page 27

The V.D.M VS 111 propeller is made from wood not metal.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz | 16GB Ram | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MFG crosswind Pedals

Project IX (TBA)
Krupi is offline   Reply With Quote