X-55 Rhino Hotas Issues and Problems - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Raven434th

Reputation power: 14
Raven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the rough
Default X-55 Rhino Hotas Issues and Problems

Saw this at simhq posted by woofiedog:

Trying to pin down some issues with the rhino, could people please post any issues you have with the X-55 as well as your system specs.

some issues I've noticed so far:

1. Multiple button presses being fired when running TeamSpeak 3(confirmed by mad catz tech support).To replicate this just run TS and open the test page and press a programmed button. The joy button must be programmed with a key press

2. Ghost button presses...this occurs when sliding the throttle back and forth and causes random button presses. This can be observed in the programming window without programmed buttons.It may take a few tries of sliding the throttle at varying speeds to see this issue. I've tried this on 3 different computers with 2 different rhinos and get the ghosting to different degrees. The only thing I can see in common in my case is AMD cpu chip sets on windows 7 64 bit.

AMD quad core 3.2 Ghz CPU (usually overclocked to 3.6 for DCS) , ATI 1 gig 5770 GPU ,8 gig ram on Win7 64bit.
Raven434th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Blooze

Reputation power: 10
Blooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really niceBlooze is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven434th View Post
Saw this at simhq posted by woofiedog:

Trying to pin down some issues with the rhino, could people please post any issues you have with the X-55 as well as your system specs.

some issues I've noticed so far:

1. Multiple button presses being fired when running TeamSpeak 3(confirmed by mad catz tech support).To replicate this just run TS and open the test page and press a programmed button. The joy button must be programmed with a key press

2. Ghost button presses...this occurs when sliding the throttle back and forth and causes random button presses. This can be observed in the programming window without programmed buttons.It may take a few tries of sliding the throttle at varying speeds to see this issue. I've tried this on 3 different computers with 2 different rhinos and get the ghosting to different degrees. The only thing I can see in common in my case is AMD cpu chip sets on windows 7 64 bit.
Open TS window and click on Settings/Options/Hotkeys and in the drop down menu (lower right corner) select Keyboard and Mouse Only.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Raven434th

Raven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the roughRaven434th is a jewel in the rough

Good find...setting the TS too "keyboard and mouse" worked for me in addressing issue no.1. Thanks for the solution.

AMD quad core 3.2 Ghz CPU (usually overclocked to 3.6 for DCS) , ATI 1 gig 5770 GPU ,8 gig ram on Win7 64bit.

Last edited by Raven434th; 04-01-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Filthyone

Reputation power: 0
Filthyone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
.....2. Ghost button presses...this occurs when sliding the throttle back and forth and causes random button presses. This can be observed in the programming window without programmed buttons.It may take a few tries of sliding the throttle at varying speeds to see this issue. I've tried this on 3 different computers with 2 different rhinos and get the ghosting to different degrees. The only thing I can see in common in my case is AMD cpu chip sets on windows 7 64 bit.
Yep. I have an AMD cpu with win 7 and i can confirm this. I sent a ticket to mad catz tech support ( Created: 15 March 2014) ,so far no solution has been given. They say that if the H.O.T.A.S works ok while testing "joy.cpl", then there is no problem, even after explaining to them that Rhino's software does detect the problem.....

Last edited by Filthyone; 04-03-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Filthyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Raven434th

Ok...I just spoke with madcatz tech support in L.A California and we've been trying to pin down this issue for weeks now.I directed them to this thread so they are now aware of this ghosting issue being more than a single incident.I sent back both x-55's today for refund until they can establish if its a software issue or hardware conflict.There are 3 possibilities IMO that could be the culprit.

1.Packageing.when my rhinos showed up they were a box in a box ,no shock absorbing material at all except what was contained in the rhino box itself.Being in canada and knowing how things get banged up (temp being a factor as well)...this may or may not have been the cause.

2.hardware batch.plain and simple it could be that we simply got unlucky.Bad batches.

3. It's a driver issue with AMD chipsets.Unlikely maybe, but possible I guess given my case and the fact that others have this same issue on amd machines.

Here is the number for madcatz tech support 1 (800) 659-2287 ,ask for Raymond or Victor who were handling the case for me and they should be able to glean enough info from others to maybe get these issues fixed.

Last edited by Raven434th; 04-03-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
upupandaway

Reputation power: 17
upupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of lightupupandaway is a glorious beacon of light

I just noticed something strange - while I haven´t had any actual issues with my X-55 Throttle unit despite this, I noticed today that a total of 4 (out of 7) screws are missing which are supposed to hold together the left throttle lever.

Is this intentional (unlikely), did the units not go through any kind of quality check before they were shipped or what is up with that? Did anybody else notice this?

The lever still holds together sufficiently well during normal operation and you would have to force it apart intentionally, but what the heck?!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Nightstalker

Nightstalker is on a distinguished road

I have had an issue for 4 weeks with this HOTAS. The throttle has had calibration problems since purchase. It took me two days to calibrate in the first weekend I purchased it. It wouldn't calibrate in the windows setup or in the HUD software. After two days of frustration for some unknown reason it finally calibrated in windows and then calibrated in the HUD.

It worked for a week and then the next weekend the same problem started again. No throttle, unable to calibrate in windows or HUD software. Again spent two frustrating days removing/installing drivers /software trying to calibrate etc. Turned on the computer second day tried one more time and like the first weekend it all of a sudden calibrated.

I have enjoyed this HOTAS for two weeks until yesterday I was flying and having a great time and got up to get a coffee. Returned to the computer, fired up another flight sim and bam! No throttle. Suddenly unable to calibrate in windows or HUD again! It has now been another weekend of frustration following Saitek's instructions of removing and installing software. VERY FRUSTRATED.

If you turn down the lights on the HOTAS through the HUD software you will notice that the mode switch lights on the throttle will still light up to indicate what mode you are in. Mine is not lit up now.

Is anyone having similar frustrations? Why is there no customer service at Saitek on the weekend when most people are needing assistance?
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Rapier-VCG-

Reputation power: 4
Rapier-VCG- is on a distinguished road

Any one having issues with the mode selection. Some reason mine can't see past mode 1, even though I cycle the selector to modes 2 and 3
Rapier-VCG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Filthyone

Raven434th: Do you also have an Asus mobo?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Filthyone

Hey upupandaway, i checked mine and all the screws are there....