Help Identifying a P-51D - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
Whiplash

Default Help Identifying a P-51D

I have this old photo of a P-51D that my Grandfather brought back with him from WWII. I am assuming he took it from the side gunner position of a B-24 he was flying in. I always wanted to know more about this plane. I realize this is a bad picture but I might be able to get a better scan of the original I just need to teach my grandmother how to use her scanner over a long distant phone call (easier said then done). From what I can tell, it looks like this is a Tuskegee squadron mustang. I remember my grandfather telling me how entertaining the Tuskegee airman's radio chatter was. I guess everyone he heard was a real character.

But if anyone can find any information on the pilot or anything really it would be much a appreciated. My goal would be to make a skin of this plane eventually but I think I need a little better picture of the nose art. I know the original is a little clearer so hopefully I can get.

Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
NineLine
Community Manager

Those arent Red Tails markings are they? Oops, I see that is your guess as well....
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
cichlidfan
Veteran

It does not look like Redtails to me. Tail color comes too far forward.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
It does not look like Redtails to me. Tail color comes too far forward.

Hmm are you sure?

ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 03-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
No.
I thought they were but please let me know why you think otherwise. Any ideas what squadron it does belong to?

This is another image I found that I think looks like it has a similar paint scheme but I could be wrong.

Edit: I chose this image because I think they have the same nose stripe where it come to a point below the exhaust.

Last edited by Whiplash; 03-12-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
NineLine
Community Manager

Also I dont see many other squadrons that had the numbering like that as well, many of them were started with letters... I am leaning towards Tuskegee, now its a matter of seeing if the recorded the ID numbers with pilots...
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 03-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Hmm are you sure?
I am seeing that diagonal line being well forward of the horizontal stabilizer in the OP's photo.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
NineLine
Community Manager

How accurate are those colors drawn on these aircraft, they were done by the ground crews in the field right? As well there was 4 squadrons under the 332nd fighter group, I would say that might allow for some variance... but I dont know... I dont see any other squadron with a design that close...
**How to Report a Bug**
Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
How accurate are those colors drawn on these aircraft, they were done by the ground crews in the field right? As well there was 4 squadrons under the 332nd fighter group, I would say that might allow for some variance... but I dont know... I dont see any other squadron with a design that close...
I did find this image to support that.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
NineLine
Community Manager

I would find a site that specializes in the history of the 332nd fighter group and send them the picture, surely there is some reference about pilots and aircraft around somewhere.
**How to Report a Bug**