Looking for comprehensive dumb bombing guides - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
JayPee

Default Looking for comprehensive dumb bombing guides

Are there any comprehensive guides on dumb bombing?

Most YT clips and tutorials state the difference between CCIP, CCIP CR, and CCRP, but that's about it. I'm looking for pro tips on all kinds of bombing profiles; what to use when and why. Fuse settings, fuse types, ejection speeds, FIX HI, FIX LO, PLT OPT, delivering angles and altitudes, practical implications, etc., those are the things I'd like to learn about. I've read the battle book and TOF tables by the 476th but that's more like a quick reference when you already know exactly what you're doing. Also the manual and the training mission aren't in-depth really.

Quick question for now: by default you can slave the CCRP pipper to your SPI. Is it possible to slave your CCIP CR pipper to your SPI as well instead of manually designating by pulling the pipper overy your SPI on the HUD?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Dudester22

Just mind you don't use them on a weapons training server and team kill other players. I'm sure there will be a guide knocking about somewhere.
Dudester22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
JayPee

What do you mean? What does my question have to do with bombing teamplayers? I don't think that's even possible unless someone's playing a ground unit via CA right?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Dudester22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
What do you mean? What does my question have to do with bombing teamplayers? I don't think that's even possible unless someone's playing a ground unit via CA right?
Sorry, Just messing about. It's just a guy with the same name as you shot me down on a weapons training server last week in an A10C. I was also in an A10C .
Dudester22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
JayPee

Oh, well I'm happy when I get a dumb bomb on a stationary target, let alone on a flying aircraft.. And my in-sim nick is not JayPee

Anyway, back on topic.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Eddie
Veteran

What do you want to know? Bearing in mind a comprehensive weapon delivery & tactics manual would be longer than the sim manual, so anything given on these forums will be non-exhaustive rule of thumb in nature ).
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Flagrum
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Quick question for now: by default you can slave the CCRP pipper to your SPI. Is it possible to slave your CCIP CR pipper to your SPI as well instead of manually designating by pulling the pipper overy your SPI on the HUD?
In CCRP mode the IFFCC computes the release point for the weapon so that it hits the designated target and gives you steering cues on the HUD so the aircraft will get to that point eventually. Then the IFFCC releases the weapon. The designated target is the current SPI.

In CCIP the IFFCC computes the impact point of your selected weapon and displays that on the HUD. Then the pilot has to decide wether or not that point is the actual target - and decides when or if at all to release the weapon. An SPI is not required and not used in this case.

A some sort of mixed mode of CCRP and CCIP is "CCIP with consent to release"-mode. In this case you designate your target similar to what you do in CCIP, but instead of immediately releasing the weapon, the IFFCC takes that point for calculating the true release point and then acts as if it were in CCRP mode.
A bit hard to describe with words (for me at least) - find some YT vids and it will become very clear what this is and when it is useful.

edit:
re-read your question ... should have done that earlier ... :o)
Your real question was, if CCIP CR can use a SPI. No, it is all in all still CCIP and works like that. CCIP does not use the SPI. Think about this the other way around: CCIP (with or without CR) with a SPI - what were the difference to CCRP?

Last edited by Flagrum; 12-06-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
JayPee

I get that, obviously. But my issue here is the DCS manual's tendency to only explain what an abbreviation stands for and where I can find the button in the pit. That still leaves out the user's guide aspect of how to use a system.

To name a few things:
- What is the practical relevance/effect of tail, nose, and t/n settings?
- 82AIRs use tail for chute deployment and nose for slick according to the manual, but what is the difference between FIXED HI, FIXED LO, and PLT OPT?
- MIN ALT, I get that this is the minimum altitude, but how do I know which situation asks for which altitude?
- RACK DEL and EJECT VEL, no clue why I would change them?
- AJD right and up, is that somehow related to predicted wind speeds?
- TOF, why would I change this?
- Bombing profiles (altitude, angles, speeds), how to judge when to use which profile?

No point in making this a mile long list, it's just that these are the sort of questions I have. All in all I'm looking for some sort of a deployment guide. I mean, those who do know what I am talking about here must have gotten their knowledge someplace, somehow. Funny to see people always putting so much emphasis on JDAM and LGB tutorials, but those were the first weapons I mastered and I hardly miss a target ever since. Maybe I'm a bit overreacting but it's kinda frustrating not knowing how to become as proficient as those showing perfectly performed attacks on YT.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
JayPee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
In CCRP mode the IFFCC computes the release point for the weapon so that it hits the designated target and gives you steering cues on the HUD so the aircraft will get to that point eventually. Then the IFFCC releases the weapon. The designated target is the current SPI.

In CCIP the IFFCC computes the impact point of your selected weapon and displays that on the HUD. Then the pilot has to decide wether or not that point is the actual target - and decides when or if at all to release the weapon. An SPI is not required and not used in this case.

A some sort of mixed mode of CCRP and CCIP is "CCIP with consent to release"-mode. In this case you designate your target similar to what you do in CCIP, but instead of immediately releasing the weapon, the IFFCC takes that point for calculating the true release point and then acts as if it were in CCRP mode.
A bit hard to describe with words (for me at least) - find some YT vids and it will become very clear what this is and when it is useful.
Flagrum, that bit I do know yet you still wrote a perfect confirmation. A SPI might not be needed for CCIP CR but I'm asking if it is possible to have the CCIP CR pipper auto designate the current SPI? So your chances of inaccurately designating the impact point via the HUD are reduced.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Supersheep

That's the most comprehensive I've found so far:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...&postcount=103

It's a heck of a post and has more info than most threads here...

Edit:
I still have the Ground Weapon Employment Manuals from the 25th VFS, but since I can't find an official link to them anymore, I don't think I'm supposed to upload them here.
Maybe @Eddie knows more about that and if it would be ok to distribute them. If they were pulled, there's a reason for that and I respect that. If no, I can give you a link later.

Last edited by Supersheep; 12-06-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Supersheep is offline   Reply With Quote