BF 109 K4

DB 605

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi F-4B,

thanks that was a fast answer. So iam richer of informations belonging the K-4. And what i like there are the BNrs.

Great.

S!

No problem; Wolowski's book is an excellent source of information on all of the late model 109s (G-5 and G-6/AS, G-14, G-10 and K-4) - the profiles alone should provide lots of information for those who will want to develop new skins for their rides.

No problem; Wolowski's book is an excellent source of information on all of the late model 109s (G-5 and G-6/AS, G-14, G-10 and K-4)

I would seriously doubt that being an "excellent source" given that they have a wrong number (1200) onthe total production K-4 - the real number was in the order of 1600-1700.

Janda and Poruba's books are far more reccommendable on G-10 and K-4 IMO, its fresh, extensive and original research. Prien - Rodeike's 109F-K also, and on the plus side, it also covers all mid-late war 109s in good detail.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

I would seriously doubt that being an "excellent source" given that they have a wrong number (1200) onthe total production K-4 - the real number was in the order of 1600-1700.

Janda and Poruba's books are far more reccommendable on G-10 and K-4 IMO, its fresh, extensive and original research. Prien - Rodeike's 109F-K also, and on the plus side, it also covers all mid-late war 109s in good detail.

Gotta agreed here about JaPo books, also some color choices in Wolowski's book profiles are questionable at least. Still, it's good book and contains many nice profiles too.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree that JaPo (Janda and Poruba) books are an excellent source, so its interesting to note that their Messerschmitt Bf 109K page 83 says "Real number of 109Ks produced in all variants...estimated at least 1200 machines" which is presumably where Wolowski's book got its information from. In addition JaPo states that 109 production ended in late March 1945:

JaPo109Ks.jpg

Why diss Wolowski when he repeats information from the same source Kurfurst recommends so highly?

The only source of information which says 1,600-1,700 K-4s might have been built is Prien and Rodeike (1996) who state "...534 were delivered by November 1944 and it may be assumed another 1,200 machines had been built by the end of the war" (which implies late April to early May):

Bf109Kproduction2.jpg

In other words the figure of 1,600-1,700 is an assumption, not a proven fact.

Compounding the confusion, Radinger & Otto in Messerschmitt Bf 109F-K: Development, Testing, Production (2000) show that 856 K-4s were built by the end of 1944, after which confirmed numbers are not available:

Bf109Kproduction1.jpg

Is there any substantive evidence that Radinger & Otto, or Wolowski and JaPo are wrong and Prien and Rodeike are right?

How is it possible to state definitively that 1600 -1700 K-4s were built when none of the best available published sources agree?

Edited by Friedrich-4/B
Grammatical tweaking

A person on the 12 O'Clock board researched K-4 neubau production. He came up with a number of 1242.

Sept 15

Oct 293

Nov 221

Dec 325

Jan 338

Feb 23+3

Mar 16+8

Not sure what the last 2 entries mean.

1944 neubau production comes to 854.

Edited by MiloMorai
fixed spelling

I will argue about FMs and other silly topics pertaining to "realism," but diving into the murky waters of 1944-45 German aircraft production data is one vice I do not have.

:D

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Is there any substantive evidence that Radinger & Otto, or Wolowski and JaPo are wrong and Prien and Rodeike are right?

How is it possible to state definitively that 1600 -1700 K-4s were built when none of the best available published sources agree?

Because subsequent research found the exact number accepted by BAL (LWs quality control /acceptence group), do no need for assumption. Priens work preceeded that reasearch and was probably not available, but the various numbers given by authors up to November/December 1944 match up with these.

Even Jochen Prien himself participated in that thread.

Dear ArtieBob,

you are right - when we put together the Bf 109 F - K some 12 or more years ago we had only fragments of the C-Amts Listen at our disposal which helped a great deal but also left some questions unanswered.

See this thread, it has all the numbers.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=2462&page=2

"There are two sources for this data, C-AMT Monatsmeldung and the Gen .Qu.(6 Abt.III C) Flugzeugverteilung for various months from Jan 44 to Mar 45. The data as far as I can tell represents neubau Flugzeug accepted by the Luftwaffe (which would mean after flight test acceptance by BAL). "

This gives the following numbers for Mtt Regensburg:

[TABLE]Date Fact Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Total

K 4 Mttr 15 293 221 325 338 233 168 1593[/TABLE]

Note that Milosh's 1945 numbers appearantly have a typo for the 1945 months (the "+" sign).

So 1593 K-4s were accepted until the end of March 1945, probably a finite or close to finite number as most factories were overrun in April 1945, inc. Erla.

There may be a slight variation between built/accepted numbers, as BAL did not necessarily accept all produced planes if it did not live up to specs within tolerance, though in practice they usually did in the end, if corrections were made to the product.

JaPo also has a fate-list for many 109K, this goes as far as WNr. 335 215, so pretty much the very end of the known/allocated 1910 K-4 Werknummers for Regensburg (sans Erla, which may have built a couple in April).

So I diss Wolowski because he is clearly wrong - the book seems to be based entirely on secondary sources (ie. synthetizing the already published JaPo and Prien books), and no or very little primary research was done. Such approach is always prone to errors.

Out of curiosity it is perhaps worth to mention that the original K-2 (MG 151 armament) was skipped, and apparently they have decided to produce the hybrid G-10 instead, as the G-10s were allocated the serial numbers originally meant for the K-2s.

@Lord Pyro,

Neubau means "new production" or literally, "new build". It meant planes that were built from scratch ie. were totally new and not conversions/rebuilds ("Umbau") of older planes to new standards, for example an old G-6 rebuilt as a G-14.

As seen in the attachment, production essentially switched to high altitude 109s in the automn of 1944 (G10, K-4, /AS types). Note that data for early /AS conversions from early 1944 are missing, since most of those were Umbau.

109neubau44-45_upd.PNG.b345b0f2e8721539d447894188b24d7f.PNG

Edited by Kurfürst

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

Excellent, we have unpublished information from private research, on an eight year old thread in a private website to give us all the required information, which suggests that about 1,600, but not 1,700, K-4s were built:

the documents used are "C-AMT Monatsmeldung and the Gen .Qu.(6 Abt.III C) Flugzeugverteilung" http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showpost.php?p=11709&postcount=11 , noting that none of them have been reproduced on any dedicated 109 websites, nor has the information as yet been repeated in books: those who do not know about this one thread will have no idea where the information might have come from. It is encouraging that John Beaman, who is a credible researcher and author, has confirmed the documents and that Jochen Prien would like to update the F-K illustrated study, although still tied up with the JFV work.

It'll be interesting to see what primary source documents the author of Nest of Eagles has used - hopefully he will have consulted the same documents and came up with the same or similar numbers.

Edited by Friedrich-4/B

I am not that an expert on different aircraft. But isn't p-51D a bit outclassed by 109k? P51D is powered by 1700s hp engine while weighting for 3+tons empty but 109k has 1800s hp engine and weigh only 2+ tons. In terms of raw max speed, rate of climb and turn performance, I'd bet 109k is above p51D. However, due to different variants, I am not sure about p51D20na, 25na and 30na performance. Do they have a bit better engine? packwood-9 instead of -7 on early D models?

With the exception of possibly Kurfurst's site, none of the sites listed give any production figures for any version of the 109. The 109lair site hasn't been updated for six years. Curious as to why, other than K's site, you think they have any credibility concerning production figures or the 109 for that matter? Also why. if these 12OCH figures had been listed by these sites you'd think they'd become more credible?

With the exception of possibly Kurfurst's site, none of the sites listed give any production figures for any version of the 109. The 109lair site hasn't been updated for six years.

My point was, and still is: the only place in which those particular production figures for the Bf 109K-4 can be found is on one eight year old thread on a members only website, otherwise they are unavailable on any normal internet search, which includes various websites dedicated to the 109.

Curious as to why, other than K's site, you think they have any credibility concerning production figures or the 109 for that matter? Also why. if these 12OCH figures had been listed by these sites you'd think they'd become more credible?

Not that I implied anywhere that listing the 12OHC figures would have either increased or diminished the credibility of 109 websites...

So I diss Wolowski because he is clearly wrong - the book seems to be based entirely on secondary sources (ie. synthetizing the already published JaPo and Prien books), and no or very little primary research was done. Such approach is always prone to errors.

Grumbling about using Wolowski, based on that argument, is a nonsense, because, looking at JaPo's Messerschmitt Bf 109K sources the only primary source materials used were 109K-4 and DB 605 handbooks, otherwise their work was also based entirely on secondary sources (ie; Hitchcock, Prien & Rodieke and John Beaman, etc) with little or no primary research:

JaPosources92.jpg

as ArtieBob said http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showpost.php?p=11709&postcount=11

"Kurfurst-I frankly don’t care what the Japo 109K book says, where did they get their information?...I have simply tabulated data from two primary sources."

Edited by Friedrich-4/B

• 2 weeks later...

New info from Peter Schmoll's Nest of Eagles http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nest-Eagles-Messerschmitt-Production-Flight-testing/dp/1906537127

K-4s built 1944 = 857 then

Jan '45 = 338

Feb '45 = 233

Sub Tot= 1,428 Plus

Mar '45 = 204 109s including G-14/AS W.Nrs = 787453 - 787524 built Cham 3/45 = 71 = 133 K-4s

Apr '45 penciled note stating 50 additional 109s built, probably all K-4:

Total = 1,428 plus 183 = 1,611

(pages 77 & 159)

Known 109K-4 W.Nrs (page 175); cf the ones from Wolowski which are the same as in Prien & Rodeike:

330105 - 330491

331325 - 331510

332247 - 332998

333876 - 333995

334060 - 334263

335170 - 335210

For now these numbers are as definitive as they're likely to get, meaning the research by ArtieBob was almost spot on. :thumbup:

Schmoll's book is well worth having and was originally printed in German in 2002 as Messerschmitt-Giganten und der Fliegerhorst Regensburg-Obertraubling 1936-1945

followed in 2004 by

Die Messerschmitt-Werke im Zweiten-Weltkrieg

both published by MZ Buchverlag GmbH. Regensburg.

What about the ones built in a tunnel factory in Czechoslavakia?

Any idea of how many were built? I take it you have properly documented info, so why not add it to the discussion? If you can, thanks - I look forward to seeing another piece of the puzzle being put in place. :thumbup:

Edited by Friedrich-4/B

I am still trying to figure out what "built Cham 3/45 = 71 = 133 K-4s" means. It appears to be Mr. Webb's own conclusion on the number built, not Schmoll's and it is of course at odds with the numbers reported by C-Amt/Gen .Qu.(6 Abt.III C) Flugzeugverteilung at the time (168) for March 1945. The other figures reported by Schmoll agree with the numbers put forwards by ArtieBoB perfectly.

It may be a case though that the difference is caused by not accounting for the Erla production (obviously, as the numbers presented are for Regensburg only).

Well at least we can surely put now "Wolowski's 1200" to rest, though I do wonder where that came from - probably a transcription error from Prien/Rodeike, which sometimes happen with tertiary sources synthetizing secondary sources, but not having access to the primary sources themselves, as in case of Janda/Poruba, Prien/Rodeike etc.

• ED Team

Hey guys, I love talking about this stuff as much as the next person, but maybe not quite as much as you guys, but if you guys cant agree to disagree at least, then you need to find a nice forum that is all about debating the merits of WWII history books, this forum is for DCS World, and its partners, we should keep it within the realm of that.

For instance, I will probably go through the same amount of K's produced during WWII in the first month of getting my hands on the K. So discuss what you would like to see done with this bird and RRG's new offering, share info you have found about it and other aircraft, but lets keep the debating to a minimum.

If you have any concerns about this, feel free to PM me or any of the other staff, if its to complain about the other guy... I already know, and this post is my answer.

Lets all live in peace and harmony while we discuss what we all love, WWII combat aviation. This thread in particular should be about RRG's BF-109K.

Thanks guys!

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I think an understanding should be garnered, that for any given subject the end result derived from the internet returns as inconclusive...

god forbid that there's someone on the internet who is wrong :music_whistling:

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"