DCS cameras, views and video recording - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Bucic
Veteran

Lightbulb DCS cameras, views and video recording

Please speak up if you know any of the '???' Please differentiate between LCtrl vs RCtrl etc. if you provide key commands.

There may be blokes out there not familiar with the possibilities DCS gives to moviemakers. Here's a quick introduction. Maybe someone puts together another fan-made promo. I wrote this with Mysticpuma in mind but there's no reason not to post it for everyone.

Hi there!

I haven't played DCS in years but back in the days these were true (few useful, general tips, not exhaustive!):
  1. DCS has well documented camera control key commands. They used to be shipped with the game in a RTF file named key commands and can be found ... ???. Most camera controls are spread across F1 through F12 and Numpad.
  2. There are controls for moving camera in/out (often confused with zoom) "Num*" / "Num/" as well as for changing FOV (Field of View) "RCtrl - Num*" / "RCtrl - Num/"
  3. LShift makes some camera actions faster while LCtrl - slower.
  4. LCtrl - F11 free camera - you can place the camera >anywhere< or even fly it.
  5. LCtrl - F11 camera can LOCK on an object - 'Numpad .' This way you can make an 'airshow camera'.
  6. You can reverse direction of the current view back and forth using ??? key command. (I'm guessing it's LCtrl + [function key for the view])
  7. You can cycle through objects in various views, plus some "enemy", "own" etc. filters.
  8. Do not use camera jitter enabled in-game for video rendering in the Record AVI tool! For normal recording with e.g. FRAPS do some tests to see whether the jittering doesn't introduce animation choppiness.
  9. Lock another plane with F5 (external) and use Numpad arrows to get extraordinary, dynamic angles! May work in other views.
  10. You can edit the F4 camera (??? link to tutorial) to be attached anywhere on the plane and directed at any angle. You can even place in front of an aircraft, point it forward and use it as a flying camera.
  11. The cockpit 6DOF camera also has controls for free placement anywhere in the cockpit when TrackIR is not used. This includes far upper right corner of the cockpit Hold Middle mouse button to move about the cockpit. (only in one (vertical-lateral???) plane and use "RCtrl - RShift - Num*" / "RCtrl - RShift - Num/" Cockpit Camera Move Forward/Back to get control 'over the missing dimension'
  12. There's a camera flying with a weapon once the weapon goes off. Key command is *"RCtrl - Num+" *Camera ordnance tracking.
  13. DCS and FC series have a tool rendering videos from replay (trk) files. It does not happen in real-time so you can render a 60 FPS video from insane in-game settings on a slow PC. For more see http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53839 There's A LOT of info regarding video compression for preserving maximum possible quality in the thread as well. Worth reading BEFORE you shoot your scenes. WARNING: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...7&postcount=14
  14. Get crisp-clear textures in-game without any FPS hit - often overlooked. See point No. 2 here http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...734#post884734
  15. Cockpit view can be controlled with mouse. To switch between operating switches and mouselook... Use RAlt C
  16. Show the pilot http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...&postcount=195
  17. To get your camera very close to the ground you need to disable the camera ground limitation ???
  18. "RCtrl - Enter" - Controls indicator - it shows positions of all of the aircraft controls (rudder, stick etc) as an overlay. Invaluable for training videos!

Keep in mind that some things used in one view may work in other views (see the F5 example).

EDIT:
Regarding #11:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
Once in Cockpit:

RCTRL+RSHIFT+NUMPAD / and * to move forward and backwards.

RCTRL+RSHIFT+NUMPAD Up(8 ), Down(2),Left(4), Right(6) to Move Camera Up, Down, Left, Right.

NUMPAD Up(8 ), Down(2) to rotate head up/down
NUMPAD Left(4), Right(6) to rotate head left/right
NUMPAD / and * to Zoom In/Out.

NUMPAD 5 To Reset Position
NUMPAD Enter to Reset Zoom

RALT+NUMPAD0 To Save as Default View/Position for This Aircraft.

Thanks to other forum members for supplementing information and corrections!

TODO:
Investigate (F11)
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...25&postcount=5

Disable cockpit camera bobing AND shaking/jitter.
Camera long axis tilt.
Constant vector camera a la x-plane.

Alt + F2 change the external camera rotation point

Scrapbook:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing_Amraam View Post
Hi, so you are basically describing how the F2 view works, but you want the same camera control in the default F3 flyby view?
No, this is not possible. The closest you are going to get is to hit F2, move and orient the camera as you wish, then click CTRL-F3 to "toggle" the flyby function from this angle. Same goes with the F11 freecam view, if you hit CTRL-F3, the camera will start tracking your plane (or whatever was the last object in the F2 view).
Hope that helps.
Camera at a specific altitude:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frischi234 View Post
You can do it in the F10 Map. Just go to the Place, zoom in for altitude. Then press LCRTL+F11

Last edited by Bucic; 11-16-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Bucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
leafer
Veteran

Exactly what I needed. Thanks, Busic. And why haven't you been playing DCS? What is wrong with you!?
leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Bucic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafer View Post
Exactly what I needed. Thanks, Busic. And why haven't you been playing DCS? What is wrong with you!?
I've been hunting down people getting my nickname wrong
Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Mysticpuma

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated. I was reading through the camera controls and found quite a few. Not sure how to control the F11 camera, still working that out.
I have Track IR and use it all the time. Is there a.link for a more detailed explanation of the 6-DoF camera positioning you mention in point 11? Sounds really useful.
I also tried to turn the pilot body on by hitting Right-Shift + P, (in replay mode), but no pilot body appeared
Does it have to be recorded in the trk to appear in a replay?
Thanks for the info. Cheers MP
Mysticpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Bucic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
Thanks for the link. Much appreciated. I was reading through the camera controls and found quite a few. Not sure how to control the F11 camera, still working that out.
I have Track IR and use it all the time. Is there a.link for a more detailed explanation of the 6-DoF camera positioning you mention in point 11? Sounds really useful.
I also tried to turn the pilot body on by hitting Right-Shift + P, (in replay mode), but no pilot body appeared
Does it have to be recorded in the trk to appear in a replay?
Thanks for the info. Cheers MP
Could you upload the current complete Key commands somewhere and share the link?

F11 camera:
mouse - look around
mousewheel forward/backward - accelerate forward/decelerate
Numpad. - lock on an object; hit again to lock another object
altitude (height) up/down control - ???
6DOF in cockpit - it was all using Numpad arrows and modifiers (ctrl, shift, alt). I don't remember the combinations. You could also try calibrating your TrackIR to high sensitivity, place your camera in the cockpit where you want it and then maybe disconnect the TIR. The camera could stay where it was.

Last edited by Bucic; 09-21-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Glowing_Amraam
ED Team

"8. - Do not use camera jitter enabled in-game for video recording!"

IMO, this isn't exactly a rule of thumb, maybe a more personal choice/opinion. I tend to use it quite alot, depending on the camera angle, situation, scene, zoom level etc..

http://www.youtube.com/user/GlowingAmraam My youtube channel
https://www.facebook.com/glowingamraam My facebook page
Glowing_Amraam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Bucic
Veteran

Quote:
"8. - Do not use camera jitter enabled in-game for video recording!"

IMO, this isn't exactly a rule of thumb, maybe a more personal choice/opinion. I tend to use it quite alot, depending on the camera angle, situation, scene, zoom level etc..
Camera jitter = high-speed small camera movements. It requires high FPS to look smooth than any normal in-game animation. You usually render videos to ~30 FPS. This makes the camera jittering look clunky. It can be remedied by using high blur values for video rendering (i.e. production/encoding). It was meant more like a warning to a newcommer. I'd recommend at least doing some solid testing if one plans to use the jittering during recording.

Disabling camera jitter is mandatory for the Record AVI tool. Video rendered with it enabled turns out really clunky. See the example (external view is with camera jitter enabled, in-cockpit - jitter disabled):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHgtom-siHY
Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Glowing_Amraam
ED Team

I guess it might look a little weird using the .AVI tool, but for fraps (my preference) this doesn't seem to be that big of an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GlowingAmraam My youtube channel
https://www.facebook.com/glowingamraam My facebook page
Glowing_Amraam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Bucic
Veteran

Quote:
I guess it might look a little weird using the .AVI tool, but for fraps (my preference) this doesn't seem to be that big of an issue.
OP edited. The point converted into just a reminder.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Mysticpuma

Here are the default controls I have for Keyboard input (file attached). Cheers, MP
Attached Files
File Type: doc Default Camera Controls DCS.doc (379.5 KB, 1956 views)
Mysticpuma is offline   Reply With Quote