The vortex trap - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Rongor

Default The vortex trap

I did some testing now. I am sure I am not the only one around here experiencing the sudden fall into the ground while trying to hover.
I know what a vortex is and how it works. Also I am sure the missing peripheral vision and no feeling in our seats are increasing the problem.
You are hovering or moving with slowest speed in level flight and adjusting the collective pitch. I found out that if your sinkrate gets beyond 600-700 ft/min, some sort of switch is turned and the ship is going down like a stone.

Are 600 ft/min in fact the deadly threshold for the unstoppable destruction in RL?
This is not the case in modern helicopters and I have my doubts about the RL Huey. So can anyone tell more about that?
What really annoys me so far, is that you turn into the vortex rather quick, you can actually feel how the flight model decides "game over dude, you are going down now!" and this seems to be a point of no return.
Rongor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
RogueRunner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring
RogueRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
159th_Viper
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to 159th_Viper

VRS = WIP.

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....
One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'
'We came from the Sea..........And Tremble our Foes like a Storm on the Lee'
159th_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Rongor

RogueRunner, if you dont want to contribute anything to the question, simply dont reply...

Good to hear, 159thViper...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
TurboHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongor View Post
RogueRunner, if you dont want to contribute anything to the question, simply dont reply...
Excuse me? See section 3.1 on that wikipedia page. It also includes a link to VRS. How could you possibly miss that and say something like that?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Rongor

See line 2 in my first post. Possibly both of you missed that line and those following as well
How could a wikipedia link clarify if vortex is simulated anything near reality in this simulation of a Huey?
I would have expected the vortex appearing at higher sinkrates initially, at least 1000 - 1500 ft/min.

As 159th_Viper pointed out (thanks again), this is WIP. If you update section 3.1 on that wikipedia page about it, the link might have helped...
Old 05-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Robert1983NL

Vortex Ring State, more commonly referred to as settling with power, is very unrealistic in the DCS Huey. In real life, you'd have to try hard to get into a settling with power situation, as opposed to the Huey in-game, which is way too prone to the condition.
Robert1983NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Rongor

Exactly my experience, Robert. I have tried it in an EC135 coming out of HOGE and the first indications of shaking started at around -1500 ft/min. Also in RL you can prevent the VRS if counteracting immediately. In DCS it is pretty much game over at this point.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
sSkullZnBoneZz

Quote:
I did some testing now. I am sure I am not the only one around here experiencing the sudden fall into the ground while trying to hover.
I know what a vortex is and how it works. Also I am sure the missing peripheral vision and no feeling in our seats are increasing the problem.
You are hovering or moving with slowest speed in level flight and adjusting the collective pitch. I found out that if your sinkrate gets beyond 600-700 ft/min, some sort of switch is turned and the ship is going down like a stone.

Are 600 ft/min in fact the deadly threshold for the unstoppable destruction in RL?
This is not the case in modern helicopters and I have my doubts about the RL Huey. So can anyone tell more about that?
What really annoys me so far, is that you turn into the vortex rather quick, you can actually feel how the flight model decides "game over dude, you are going down now!" and this seems to be a point of no return.
I think I read in the manual that you should keep your vertical speed at or below 300 ft/min to avoid VRS...
sSkullZnBoneZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
TurboHog

Quote:
See line 2 in my first post. Possibly both of you missed that line and those following as well
Oh yeah... and I forgot that you are a heli pilot...