DCS ALphajet-E Project - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Airone

Default DCS ALphajet-E Project

Hello community,

here is my project for the French Alphajet-E. This was already a plane integrated in the french public released mod AdA (www.ada-mod.org). It is a well functioning plane in FC2 with its own flight model and the 3D is already well animated. It was time to conquer DCS...

As part of a virtual aerobatic team flying the "Patrouille de France" Alphajet, the Jet-e-sons, I have started those days to move to 3dsmax 2008/DCS. I was quite successful at the beginning since a lot of arguments and file tweaking was similar to FC1/Fc2. Now I am facing my first walls and seeking for help from the "gods" of modelling. Funnily, the 3d builders are almost all aerobatic enthusiast! I do have a 90% custom design and working pit in FC2 that will need later on to be transferred to DCS, but it is another story.

Well here are the first screenshots and my questions will come after. DCS is a marvellous platform!

It is a raw import, no tweaking or adjustment yet.

Now, here are my questions for the pros!
1/ Regarding normal maps:
I have followed the edm thread and thanks to that generated my normal maps with rivets and panel lines. It seems to work very well, and I can see the good results in the Modelviewer. However, despite my description lua file is correct, each time I am using the bump, it appears totally transparent in the game. Here is an example of wings with bump, and fuselage without:

My textures are "made cool", using default and 100% in the maps assignments. I have tried with the mirror textures as recommended by Beczl witouh any luck (working in Modelviewer not in game).
Here is my description.lua
Code:
livery = {
    {"_AJET_FUSELAGE", 0 ,"_AJET_PAF_FUSELAGE.bmp",false};
    {"_AJET_WINGS", 0 ,"_AJET_PAF_WING.bmp",false};
    {"_AJET_WINGS", 1 ,"WING_NORM.bmp",false};
    {"_AJET_DETAILS", 3 ,"_AlphaJet_DETAILS.tga",false};
    {"_AJET_PILOT", 0 ,"_AdA-Pilot.bmp",false};
    {"_AJET_GALLET", 0 ,"_AJET_GALLET_PAF.bmp",false};
    {"_AJET_GEAR", 0 ,"_AJET_GEAR.bmp",false};
    {"_AJET_60ans", 0 ,"_AJET_60ans",false};
    {"_AJET_GLASS", 0 ,"_ADA_CANOPYGLASS.TGA",false};
    {"_AJET_COCKPITB", 0 ,"_AJET_COCKPIT_BACK.bmp",false};
    {"_AJET_COCKPITF", 0 ,"_AJET_COCKPIT_FRONT.bmp",false};

}
name = "AlphaJet PAF"
countries = {
    "FRA",
}
I have tried to put the alpha channel in the bump file set to full black or full white without any changes. I am hitting my heads against the walls right now...

2/ I have used the wunderluft template to generate the entry for my birds. Thanks to the compatibility of FC2/DCS, my model is fully animated (gear flaps, ailerons) if it is an IA plane flying. As soon as I am putting myself in the cockpit, I can fly the bird but nothing is animated anymore in the external views, any clues?

3/That raises the question of having a 3d pit. Is DCS like FC2, do you have two models, one for the pit and one for the external model? Or do you have to have your cockpit embedded in the 3d external plane?
Can you use without too much tweaking a FC2 kabinaa-10.lom converted to Kabina-a10.edm for instance?

I am looking forward to your advice buddy builders!

PS: we will perform live at the 60th anniversary of Patrouille de France, those who are interested: http://www.60ansdelapaf.fr/
Hence the 60 years livery on the screenshots...Ells, you can jump on a backset, the Reds will be there!

Last edited by Airone; 04-03-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Airone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Looks great, keep up the good work
Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, TM Warthog, Jet provost rudder pedals, VIVE Cosmos

BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Jerec

Looks good, but better make Rafale or Eurofighter for FC3 or DCS World.
Jerec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
JTS_Yopsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerec View Post
Looks good, but better make Rafale or Eurofighter for FC3 or DCS World.
We are a French aerobatic team...so the "patrouille de france" Alphajet fits better, don't you think?...
JTS_Yopsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
aaron886
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS_Yopsolo View Post
We are a French aerobatic team...so the "patrouille de france" Alphajet fits better, don't you think?...
Can't rep.

Airone, Yopsolo, if you message me I will be happy to help you with your project. Aerobatic teams must stick together.
aaron886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
JTS_Yopsolo

Thanks aaron886!
We will contact you.
JTS_Yopsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
speckfire

Any updates?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
snowbird2

Airone..I know your out there mate.
snowbird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Airone

Hello everyone,

first my apologies for all the questions raised in the frst post, I did not realized at that time that most of my aerobatics friends were under NDA regarding dev. Sorry mates!

Well I figured out by myself many of my issues. Now, I am working on my model to have a decent proposal to submit to ED dev in order to join the secret service

My Alphajet will got:
Liveries:
- Million hours
- 9 Patrouille de France
- Ajets Tours (old and new colors)
- ASAS de Portugal
- Belgian grey
- Belgian camo
- Belgian red wolf
- German camo(old and new)
- Redbulls(2 types)
- QinetiQ
... maybe more to come...(Marroco, Togo, Portuguese, Canada Top Aces...)
External model:
- Alphajet E, Alphajet A (pointy nose for my German fellow friends).
- Pylons and specific armament is already set in DCS and will be augmented.
- Additional canon pod is underway.
- Smoke pod underway.
- Collision and destroyed model is completed for tail fin, horizontal stabilizer and wings. To do , fuselage, cabin and nose.
- Rivetting and paneling is realized with bump maps.
- We have a quite accurate SFM but willing to go AFM as soon as possible.
- Full autonomous mod.

Cockpit:
So far it will be for the Alphajet-E model, as shown. After a finalised product we could imagine to go for the Alphajet-A, with GPS/INS, advanced HUD and Laser telemetry, but that is another story.

The goal is to simulate 95% of the real aircraft. Since I used to make the cockpit work long time ago in FC1 with flat panel end textures, I am dying to animate fully my 3D gauges in DCS now. Only the base gauges are working thanks to what is available through the "wunderluft" package.
The canopy is still WIP, will be designed in better 3D details rather than the delicate photo texturing.

I hope you will enjoy and support this projet, now that the prototype will be submitted to ED. If it goes well, the benefits of this project will be entirely donated to our virtual aerobatics association that we have here in France.

See you soon hopefully with an upgraded status.
Cheers
Erwan

PS: snowbirds2 are u Racer my old mate?!

Last edited by Airone; 07-18-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Airone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Rincevent

J'ai hâte