Horrible frame rate with 1.0.1

theGozr

Well horrible frame rate with 1.0.1..

with previous version well above 100's all maxed Quad core and SLI..

Not even a warning on Hotas and key overwriting on patch install....

Very unhappy about this.

Fly it like you stole it..

1.0.1 is the cause for all the suffering in the world - agree.

j/k. ;)

Perhaps if you come up with a bit more data about your system and configurations, like a DXDiag report - some screenshots from 1.0 to 1.0.1 etc - then it may be possible for us to suggest some improvements for you? :)

Hint. Most of us on Teamspeak who did the upgrade together solved alot of minor issues just by removing some old mods etc.

I would dare to say all of us that night (some 10 ppl) experienced FPS improvement rather than the oposite.

The one's that did have a problem used DCSmax - outdated skins - other utils etc.

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

No mod, stock setting SLI 280's Q9650 @4.2ghz 8GB for the pic before and after hummm to late but i have many pics here around with a frame rate note..

Right now even if the task manager say 4 cores are used it feels like only one core is turned on... very weird..!

I wish it would use 4 cores. On my AMD Phenom 2 X4 are just two cores active by the readings from the G15 screen. And even these two cores are not at 100%.

AMD Phenom 2 X4 955BE @ 3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

ATI Radeon 4890 1024MB, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM

TrackIR 4, Windows 7 x64

Right now even if the task manager say 4 cores are used it feels like only one core is turned on... very weird..!

One thing you can try is going back to the old method of setting the affinity (e.g., DCSmax etc). In one of the Black Shark subdirectories is a file called autoexec.cfg (I think...I don't have my gaming PC in front of me). In it you can set the affinitymask of Black Shark. I think that if you set it to run on a single core, you should then be able to use DCSMax exactly as before. It would at least rule out an affinity issue as the culprit.

First of all, Maximus_G has run extensive tests (search function) which showed that running 4 core affinity gains you nothing compared to 2 cores.

Secondly, you have never, ever, used all four cores with DCS. It may have looked like you do, but you don't. DCS is a single-thread application and for that reason it is only ever running on one core at a time. Performance gains are created through affinity allowing the OS to flip the DCS thread to whichever core has the least work-load. With a multicore-oriented OS (like Vista and W7) this happens extremely fast and on many monitor softwares it can look as if it's on all cores at the same time. It isn't. To put it in a simple way: for a single-thread application to run simultaneously on multiple cores you have to be a magician.

Wombats idea is a good one though and one I'd love to see some results from, but don't kid yourself that it ever ran on all cores at the same time. It doens't happen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Windows task manager resource monitor says DCS is 15 threads while in cockpit in mp server. Dunno if we're talking about the same threads here. But I suppose this is why you see a massive increase from 1 to 2 cores. I wonder why it doesen't happen from 2 to 4 (probably because it's not programmed from scratch with this in mind?)

Are those the same threads as when we talk about multithreaded application?

PD: can't see how justify a 40% fps boost by just flipping the process to another core, when a decently managed windows sits at just 1-10% cpu at max and then there is still like 30% idle (DCS usually takes like 50-70% cpu combined 2 cores)

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Windows task manager resource monitor says DCS is 15 threads while in cockpit in mp server. Dunno if we're talking about the same threads here. But I suppose this is why you see a massive increase from 1 to 2 cores. I wonder why it doesen't happen from 2 to 4 (probably because it's not programmed from scratch with this in mind?)

Are those the same threads as when we talk about multithreaded application?

PD: can't see how justify a 40% fps boost by just flipping the process to another core, when a decently managed windows sits at just 1-10% cpu at max and then there is still like 30% idle (DCS usually takes like 50-70% cpu combined 2 cores)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb204834(VS.85).aspx

It depends on how it's been coded basicly.

Just "slamming on all 4 cores" might not just cut it ;)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Oh yes I understand problems with multithreading comes from all sides (sincronization, etc.) and it has to be a real pain in the ass. I was only wondering that, if DCS has more than 1 thread (as per resource monitor, I wonder if it's correct) this might be why windows vista/7 gives a huge perfomance boost. Not because DCS is coded from scratch with this in mind, but because windows manages the threads instead of just flipping a single threaded process like I always thought it did.

For example, Rise of Flight it's coded with multithreading in mind, so going from 2 to 4 cores gives a 40% boost.

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

No mod, stock setting SLI 280's Q9650 @4.2ghz 8GB for the pic before and after hummm to late but i have many pics here around with a frame rate note..

You see, for us to be able to help you - so you can help yourself - you need to try to list up what you have tried to do. Be specific. :)

Now let me give you a helping hand by suggesting the following excersises for you to test and learn what kind of improvement you get:

* Game related

- Fresh installation of DCS (mods are bad, mkay - when troubleshooting).

- Patch with the correct language edition ofc.

- Tweaking and tuning the settings of the game afterwards (there's quite a few tips around this fine forum - you just need to search / look for them).

- No mods, including DCSmax. Leave all your skins / sounds etc at the front door, dont bring them in with you into DCS just yet.

* GPU/Driver related

- Test with different drivers (depending on your GPU).

- Use driver cleaner kits when you unintsall one driver and test the next.

- Disable FluffyStuff and see what changes you get within the game.

- Disable SLI

* Computer related

- Get rid of all unnecessary software (tools / coolstuff / badstuff)

- Temporary disable all security related software while being OFFLINE from internet (never do that while you're hotwired to internet ofc).

- O/C is bad, mkay,when troubleshooting. Timings and everything related to pcibus/graphics are being affected - so even FPS may be affected by a improperly set O/C

* Healthy system

- Free up your disk, check them for errors (CHKDSK C: /F etc)

- Defrag. (It's quite superfluious - but it's hard to tell in advance when there's something related to fragmentation). And hey, it's cheap ;)

- Ensure that your system is without other related glitches (read the Event Logs for System, Application)

- Ensure that you *did* remove all unnecessary software - because Services running in the background will affect your game performance.

- Had virus on your computer previously? Your Windows is damaged - needs a full reinstall.

But for us to invest time in helping you and to be able to help - you need to invest some time at your end :)

Edited by Panzertard

allonDCS.jpg

Here the Affinity to me is completely false since it doesn't turn on the right cores.. set to 4 it will give me only the third core on etc..

I never used DCSMax alt-tab to me was quick and good.

Check my Frame rate 1 core 2, 3 or 4 give me the exact same result .

Prepatch it was perfect to me. Post patch i loose a huge amount of frames and i am not talking of 5 10 or 20 frames but a full 100's it's ridiculous..

I never used DCSMax alt-tab to me was quick and good....

Prepatch it was perfect to me. Post patch i loose a huge amount of frames and i am not talking of 5 10 or 20 frames but a full 100's it's ridiculous..

Well, try my approach with alt-tab instead of DCSMax...the principle is exactly the same.

Also, silly question but is it possible vsync is a culprit? The fact that you were getting 100+ FPS before leads me guess that you probably had vsync disabled before. If you had vsync enabled now, you could lose many many FPS as the framerate would be locked to your monitor's refresh rate.

Yes i did try all cores and the old good way .. but it's a no go. ( CPU working at 17% hummmm )

The patch and Sim were russian with no MOD.

All drivers new all to the latest beside GPU's set to 182.50 ( better performances )

LCD fresh rate is 60 if it's locked and MaxFPS = 0;

Yes i did try all cores and the old good way .. but it's a no go.

The and Sim patch were russian with no MOD.

All drivers new all to the latest beside GPU's set to 182.50 ( better performances )

LCD fresh rate is 60 if it's locked and MaxFPS = 0;

I think I personally experienced "less FPS drops" if I locked mine at 60. (And vsync on)

Havent tested tweaking it now though.

allonDCS.jpg

Here the Affinity to me is completely false since it doesn't turn on the right cores.. set to 4 it will give me only the third core on etc..

I never used DCSMax alt-tab to me was quick and good.

Check my Frame rate 1 core 2, 3 or 4 give me the exact same result .

Perhaps you'r cpu is waiting for something, it's really low %. SLI cards might be screwing with the whole sim and slowing down everything? or an antivirus? dunno, seems strange.

Yea my cpu is waiting to process BS ...;) , the frames drop as soon as i loaded the patch.. Hi do in the other hand a very high frame rate on RoF, FSX, Lockon, Condor, Il2, Crysis, ARMA2 etc..

And no Antivirus ;) , I have to investigate this..

Did you guys compare your FPS before and after on the first mission of instant action ?

Did you guys compare your FPS before and after on the first mission of instant action ?

Yep, I have. I have both a 1.0 and 1.0.1 installation, and can switch between them in about 2 seconds. I have equal or better FPS using 1.0.1 as compared with 1.0 when using identical settings and mission.

I see that you are talking about DCSmax again. Is this little magic program still usefull after the latest patch? I read that after the new patch DCS utilizes all cores correctly (even though I can see that some have problems with this).

I'm running Windows 7 so should I still use DCSmax?

Go Ugly Early

I see that you are talking about DCSmax again. Is this little magic program still usefull after the latest patch? I read that after the new patch DCS utilizes all cores correctly (even though I can see that some have problems with this).

I'm running Windows 7 so should I still use DCSmax?

My Genetic inability to Multi-task has me forgetting to run TrackIr at times.........annoying :badmood:

DCS:Max does it automatically - so yeah, it's useful :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

OK here what i found.. my setting are all maxed @ 1920x1200 and i made a stupid mistake... i didn't notice that i was running on window mode, since i was on my native resolution the windows was as big as my monitor screen.

I checked the Full screen box and now it's back to high frames. Haaaa...!! This was purely my mistake.. also it's impressive how BS doesn't run as well window mode vs Full screen..

Anyway beware of this small detail that can make your BS Sim play horribly!! ;)

Whatever problems everyone is having is your specific system related and not the patch.

The 1.0.1a patch boosted my FPS by a noticeable amount.

Do not run 190.x drivers, not even in Win7.

The best driver for Win7 I found is the Beta 181.71

I tested on both WinXP and Win7 (dual boot:), and even though 7 gives more fps overall (2x the min fps, never goes under 30, even with shkval), the fps in XP got a nice boost since the patch as well.

With Win7+190.x it went as low as 9fps! 181.71 fixed it.

My first computer and my ED collection:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I won FC1 in the original Lock On Tournament in 2005:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=8805

;738495']Whatever problems everyone is having is your specific system related and not the patch.

The 1.0.1a patch boosted my FPS by a noticeable amount.

Do not run 190.x drivers, not even in Win7.

The best driver for Win7 I found is the Beta 181.71

I tested on both WinXP and Win7 (dual boot:), and even though 7 gives more fps overall (2x the min fps, never goes under 30, even with shkval), the fps in XP got a nice boost since the patch as well.

With Win7+190.x it went as low as 9fps! 181.71 fixed it.

Nice one there! I have always been looking for an answer on what drivers to go with for windows 7. I use the latest one right now but if you think these ones are better I will give it a try if I can get hold of them. Are you running DCSmax allso?

Go Ugly Early