F/A-18C - Trap Practice (aircraft carrier landing)(6 traps) - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
Growling Sidewinder

Default F/A-18C - Trap Practice (aircraft carrier landing)(6 traps)

Whats up guys back at it again, practicing those Traps, I found I was getting good at flying the numbers on a case 1 but my groove and my ball flying was garbage. so I set up a mission and just started trapping alllll day. different weather different wind conditions moving decks U name it I tried it. (just no high fog)

anyone is some actual experience looking at these traps and seeing something wrong please let me know I'm always open to perfecting my flying. always looking for tips and tricks.

If I still have one major problem its my alignment anyone have any tricks for always coming down aligned ?

anyway here it is fellas, trap, trap, trap, until you can't trap no more. literally did this all day yesterday lol

I've attached the mission files for my landing practices, in case anyone wants it. theyre nothing special but just thought id share, theres a Groove only practice, where you basically start in the groove(a little out of the 3/4 just to line yourself up) theres a case 1 starting at an angels 6 holding pattern, and a sierra hotel break i'm sure you all know what that is by now lol.
Attached Files
File Type: miz carrierLanding.miz (377.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: miz carrierLandingGrooveOnly.miz (106.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: miz carrierLandingSeirraHotelBreak.miz (242.2 KB, 75 views)

Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80Ghz Ram: 16G -64bit OS Graphics: GEFORCE GTX 1050

Last edited by Growling Sidewinder; 06-07-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Growling Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
javelina1

me too! subscribing.

If I still have one major problem its my alignment anyone have any tricks for always coming down aligned ?

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Virpil WarBRD
javelina1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Morod

Meanwhile, I am STILL trying to get my AoA trimmed in < 15 seconds on downwind.

Beautiful traps (to me!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
pimp

Looks pretty good to me. I'm taking a 24 hr break from trap practicing. I was starting to get worse at them last night which was frustrating me. So imma take a quick breather and just keep practicing on bombings.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
Growling Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina1 View Post
me too! subscribing.

appreciate the subscribe brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morod View Post
Meanwhile, I am STILL trying to get my AoA trimmed in < 15 seconds on downwind.

Beautiful traps (to me!).
thanks man, keep practicing, i'm actually not using any trim to be honest. I can't get the damn thing to work with trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp View Post
Looks pretty good to me. I'm taking a 24 hr break from trap practicing. I was starting to get worse at them last night which was frustrating me. So imma take a quick breather and just keep practicing on bombings.
been there man, when it first came out I trapped all day too, but then got worse and worse, slept woke up the next day trapped again that night probably a 20hour break from it, and I was noticeably better. so ya deff the right track imo.

Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80Ghz Ram: 16G -64bit OS Graphics: GEFORCE GTX 1050

Old 06-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Oban

care to share your mission??

i7 7700 @ 2.8 Ghz
16 GB RAM
128 GB SSD
GTX 1050 4GB
Windows 10 64 bit
Oban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
ttaylor0024

You’re still settling in close and have a tendency to drive it in low, get the ball above the datums. Again, if it’s on the high side of the lens you’ll trap. You nearly became a fireball on that 3rd pass, very very close. 1 wires will always be a no grade on a 4 wire boat, a bolter is a higher grade than that. Watch the ball and ask yourself if it’s where it’s supposed to be. You’re looking for an on start, too much power in the middle to energize the ball and raise it up, then bring it back down to on the datums on touchdown. You need to move the ball around or you will be behind and react to how it’s moving. Don’t try to fly a center ball in right now.

As far as lineup goes, look at the far end of the landing area
ttaylor0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
Growling Sidewinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oban View Post
care to share your mission??
I will deff Try to do that, never done it before check back in about an hour, i'll have it attached to the #1 post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor0024 View Post
You’re still settling in close and have a tendency to drive it in low, get the ball above the datums. Again, if it’s on the high side of the lens you’ll trap. You nearly became a fireball on that 3rd pass, very very close. 1 wires will always be a no grade on a 4 wire boat, a bolter is a higher grade than that. Watch the ball and ask yourself if it’s where it’s supposed to be. You’re looking for an on start, too much power in the middle to energize the ball and raise it up, then bring it back down to on the datums on touchdown. You need to move the ball around or you will be behind and react to how it’s moving. Don’t try to fly a center ball in right now.

As far as lineup goes, look at the far end of the landing area
can u define "datums" I've never heard this term before. are u referring to the green horizontal lines? I agree with the 3rd pass. it was deff low.

"You need to move the ball around or you will be behind and react to how it’s moving." This is a greeeeaaat point. I never thought about like this. I'm deff going back to trapping and trying this out.

thanks for taking the time to share those tips man much appreciated.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
ttaylor0024

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS201 View Post
I will deff Try to do that, never done it before check back in about an hour, i'll have it attached to the #1 post.

can u define "datums" I've never heard this term before. are u referring to the green horizontal lines? I agree with the 3rd pass. it was deff low.

"You need to move the ball around or you will be behind and react to how it’s moving." This is a greeeeaaat point. I never thought about like this. I'm deff going back to trapping and trying this out.

thanks for taking the time to share those tips man much appreciated.
Yep, the green bars are called the datum lights. But yes, the goal is to keep an energized ball, which is you forcing the ball to move around. From the start position to the ramp the zone for 1 ball of movement changes from 16’ to 1’, so as you get closer you’ll see the ball move very fast if you’re not keeping it moving and where you want it. Keep it on the high side to creaster so if you do settle it’s only 1 ball low at most in the wires, none of this 2+ ball low stuff. Idealy, you’ll never see a low ball
ttaylor0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
HiJack
Veteran

FS201, are you following the checklist? You have no flaps?? Checklist FULL FLAPS.

Spoiler:

ASUS Z97-PRO, Socket-1150
Intel® Core i7-4770K Processor overclocked to @ 4.20 GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133MHz CL9 4x8GB
Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 390X 8GB "OC"
Samsung SSD 850PRO 1TB SSD
WD 2TB Black 3,5", SATA64MB Cache, Dual Processor, 7200RPM
Windows 7 64-bit
Philips 40" 4K LED BDM4065UC, ASUS 27” and Dell 24” screens
HiJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aircraft carrier, dcs, f-18, landing, persian gulf