Shus Kiowa collective

Stuck waiting on shipping, the first set of hat switches turned up but they were too large to really fit. I have been playing around with a gear for the twist throttle on this one, but I think I am going to try and mount a HAL sensor so I can not have to worry about physical contact.

Installed the Damper today which is a great upgrade.

image0.jpg

Starting to wish I had just strapped an xbox controller on for a button box lol.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Todays update, got home to find these in the mail with the magnet for my Throttle Hal sensor. Still not hat switches which is the only hold up on finishing the build now

image0.jpg

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

Got excited and decided to do the Soldering and see if I could get the current hat switches trimmed down to fit. Went very well. Going to see how the HAL sensors go and transition the electronics over if they work. The 3D printed Castle and China hats glue onto these buttons and are very solid and theres enough clearance to accomodate where the hats have ended up a little off centre. If the HAL works I might actually get it done tomorrow.

I'm using 2 pieces of CAT 6 to get all the inputs plus the throttle resistor down to the base. I've allocated the A inputs for the Leo Board to one piece and coloured the ends black, and left the B inputs on the second piece. I have 1 pair spare so I think I am going to pull an extra wire up so I can throw the Rotary knob from the V1 collective on the side as its handy for a zoom access. This should speed up wiring as each input has its own colour in the jumble

image0-1.jpg

I hate soldering but it all fits, *just*

image0-2.jpg

Wiring Matrix. Using stripped down CAT6, which will also be used to get back down to the Board which I am going to mount on the base, makes it easy to figure what goes where

image01.jpg

Getting close.

Edited by shu77

cw1.png

Had a big day of wiring, Disassembled my old collective and moved the electronics to the base then did some painting and assembly. I also removed the Arduno board and installed a HAL sensor attached to the Leo Board to get rid of a USB input but I couldnt get it working for the throttle so I've stuck with the same solution as I had oroginally. Just need to finish the wiring loom in the collective now which is a very big job. .

image1.jpg

image0-3.jpg

image0-4.jpg

cw1.png

cw1.png

Heres todays update, I finished wiring, and after a lot of messing around I have the throttle and collective working, all the Toggles are working but I have a couple of issues with the Hats, (two work fine 2 are not so much), so I think I need a different solution. Ive sealed it up to do some flying while I ponder how to address the Hat gremlins. So its finished for the moment until I decide what to do next. I also need to find a suitable button to wire the idle detent to which is what the two remaining wires are for.

image0-5.jpg

cw1.png

Outstanding job there mate!

Regarding the leobodnar controller that you have, after seeing it in this thread out of curiosity I check their website and noticed that they also have a similar controller that is not in matrix. What factors went into your decision to pick this and not that controller?

Cheers

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

To be honest it came down to needing 27 inputs, and I was originally going to put the electronics in the head, so that played a factor. I dont think the issue is the matrix as much as the hat switches themselves, and having to bend the mounting pins to get them to fit. I think the go may be a custom PCB to mount the hats onto just playing with the diagram for that at the moment, though I have some emore hat switches coming so I may be able to swap them out and have more luck this time

cw1.png

Added the idle detent button tonight and installed, Once the next bunch of hat switches arrive I am going to try moving to a bread board to tidy up the install and get rid of some wire. but heres a couple feature complete shots

IMG-3366.jpg

IMG-3367.jpg

cw1.png

Yes, very good job! :thumbup:

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the handbrake sensor originally, but ended up connecting a Hal to the Leo Board. The twist throttle uses a motorbike throttle sleeve attached to a wire arm attached to the pot. The arm is a modified paperclip so that the post on the throttle sleeve can traverse the arm as it twists.

cw1.png

Looks superb.

Beautifully built.

The OH-58D Collective is definitely a great choice..... Hats galore!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by your build, I’m going to give it a crack. If anyone has the print files for the head, I’ll gladly grab them

9A373C8D-1A1F-4A7C-9265-DCD4269802B4.thumb.jpeg.3f2c655d0125e2f982e8543fbc6f2d9b.jpeg

CPU i7 7700K

CPU Cooler Corsair H115i

GPU GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Mobo Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming

RAM 32GB DDR4 3200

OS Win10 x64 Pro

Kit TM Warthog, TM Pedals, Oculus CK1, ButtKicker Gamer 2 and then there is the pit

Yea, I just picked one up just like Donny's in the picture! I think I'll keep mine simple, maybe take out the spring, add a washer to give it some tension, and maybe add an extension. I won't have the time or patience to make a full HOTAS box for it though, really I'm just looking for the ability to fly with some precision that won't cost me $500+, and should last a while!

Turns out these handbrakes use Hall Effect sensors and process 14 bit signal, at least that's what they advertise! If that's actually true in the real world, then yea, should be plenty of precsion, likely more than actually needed, whether you just want a simple off the shelf solution for modest money, or make an elaborate build from.

I found when it was just a 450mm extension on the end it was more than enough travel to fly smoothly, you could make very small adjustments and see a nice steady increase or decrease in height. The HAL sensor is certainly quite precise, though there is a little slack at the very end of mine which influences the mounting direction and the need to invert the throttle curve.

cw1.png

• 1 month later...

Face plates have now arrived

127f44dd7ee3880aa6649fbf8af4ecf0.thumb.jpg.9e323d4e040a9139da387e22e993a341.jpg

CPU i7 7700K

CPU Cooler Corsair H115i

GPU GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Mobo Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming

RAM 32GB DDR4 3200

OS Win10 x64 Pro

Kit TM Warthog, TM Pedals, Oculus CK1, ButtKicker Gamer 2 and then there is the pit

It does, It adds friction without being grippy, but you need a strong mount to anchor it to the ground

cw1.png

It does, It adds friction without being grippy, but you need a strong mount to anchor it to the ground

did you remove the original spring which makes the lever snap back?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Great work.

Did any one have the 3d print file for this head?

also can u please explain how u do the writhing on the black printed parts?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

did you remove the original spring which makes the lever snap back?

yes, its detailed in the early posts

• Like 1

cw1.png