Daytime brightness in VR is flat out broken

FoxTwo

Since 2.5.6 bumped up the brightness/exposure of the outside world to improve night lighting and visibility (which is a definite plus for night operations) the daytime is completely blown out at the appropriate gamma value for normal cockpit brightness (~2.0-2.2). If you dial back the gamma to make the daytime outside world reasonable (~1.5-1.8), the cockpit becomes a black hole, details get lost and blacks are completely crushed.

The whole thing is a mess frankly. For a gain of somewhat better night visibility (admittedly impressive tbh) we've lost cockpit interior backlighting, flood lighting, HUD lighting, DDI/MFDs, moving maps, warning lights, KC-135 pilot director lights, the list goes on...

And it's not like 2.5.6 is openbeta anymore, this version of the lighting system is currently 'stable' so everyone gets to suffer equally I guess but it's incredibly disappointing. I know there have been some efforts in improving bits of lighting that has been broken in some of the modules, but overall it seems like one global lighting change has literally broken every single aircraft or AI unit in some way.

+1

This problem is a game breaking, If you want to see something inside your plane, the cost is not see anything outside, missiles, wvr, etc is really difficult. ED need to update the promo video and remove the instance "VR is beautifully supported".

Computer: Potato

Modules: FC3 | M2000C | A/V8B | Viggen | F-5E | F-14B | F-16C | F/A-18 | A-10C | Supercarrier :mad::mad: | UH-1 | MI-8 | Gazelle | KA-50

Since 2.5.6 bumped up the brightness/exposure of the outside world to improve night lighting and visibility (which is a definite plus for night operations) the daytime is completely blown out at the appropriate gamma value for normal cockpit brightness (~2.0-2.2). If you dial back the gamma to make the daytime outside world reasonable (~1.5-1.cool.gif, the cockpit becomes a black hole, details get lost and blacks are completely crushed.

The whole thing is a mess frankly. For a gain of somewhat better night visibility (admittedly impressive tbh) we've lost cockpit interior backlighting, flood lighting, HUD lighting, DDI/MFDs, moving maps, warning lights, KC-135 pilot director lights, the list goes on...

And it's not like 2.5.6 is openbeta anymore, this version of the lighting system is currently 'stable' so everyone gets to suffer equally I guess but it's incredibly disappointing. I know there have been some efforts in improving bits of lighting that has been broken in some of the modules, but overall it seems like one global lighting change has literally broken every single aircraft or AI unit in some way.

Agree with all of this.

I thought I was maybe imagining cockpit backlighting getting worse in the last few OB updates, so I downgraded to 2.5.6.49718 (just after SC launch) yesterday just to check, and the lo-and-behold the lighting was so much better. Differences between cockpit and outside was better at around 1.7/1.8 gamma, and cockpit back and floodlights could be seen fine even in the daytime. Hopefully they roll back the lighting to how it was around the time the Super Carrier launched. It wasn't perfect, but much better than 2.5.5 and what we have now.

Edited by Majik

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

Since 2.5.6 bumped up the brightness/exposure of the outside world to improve night lighting and visibility (which is a definite plus for night operations) the daytime is completely blown out at the appropriate gamma value for normal cockpit brightness (~2.0-2.2). If you dial back the gamma to make the daytime outside world reasonable (~1.5-1.8), the cockpit becomes a black hole, details get lost and blacks are completely crushed.

100% agree.

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

for everyone else on this thread, Mustang's mod DOES help. give it a whirl! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

for everyone else on this thread, Mustang's mod DOES help. give it a whirl! :thumbup:

It does, and it's better.

But it's frustrating and it shouldn't be necessary.

Even watching the latest video from Growling Sidewinder you can see how the world is just incredibly overexposed outside of the cockpit. The HUD disappears completely near the horizon.

Edited by FoxTwo