Help in choosing New VR equipment

Hello,

I am thinking of changing the PC with the sole purpose of improving my experience in DCS in VR. Currently running the DCS with a CV1 with an I7 2600k at 4.5 GHz on an ASUS Sabertooth P67 MB, 16 GB of RAM at 1600MHz and an RTX 2080. SO W10.

Logically I will keep the GPU but seeing the VR improvements they do nothing for me - except for the “shaders mod perfomance”, I begin to lose my patience - and why not say it: I can consume consumerist...

Initially I was thinking of the I7 9700K - I have always had INTEL, but given the security flaws that apparently reduce their performance, and the good impressions I see to the owners of the new Ryzen, I am seriously considering acquiring a 3700x , mount it on a good MB x470 and put a good RAM at 3200 (32 GB). The cooling of the CPU was successful in the final, I will take care of a good NOCTUA nh-d15... space is not a problem and what will I keep the HALF X.

Not having an AMD CPU, I am conditioned by the choice of the MB for the issue of updating BIOS, and I was thinking about the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO ... all with the intention of maintaining the platform for a few years.

The doubts I have is because DCS benefits from high CPU clocks in single core where Intel seems better, but thinking a bit in the future and that one day VULKAN will be implemented, the 8 cores / 16 threads are beneficial of Ryzen.

In any case, after passing the I7 2600K, improvement could be noticed even with the Ryzen, isn't it? Or maybe I am getting a lot of illusions and my I7 2600K, even though it is from 2011, isn't making a bottleneck with the RTX 2080 too much?

I also read the DCS forum daily and all the entries related to new equipment and updates, but I still don't decide...

Any advice that enlightens me, I hope your answers that as always will be well received.

P.S. Sorry for my english: I used the google translator...

Regards

Not having an AMD CPU, I am conditioned by the choice of the MB for the issue of updating BIOS, and I was thinking about the ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO ... all with the intention of maintaining the platform for a few years.

Have a look into these before you decide and buy:

and check his channel out if you want more information.

So much for the motherboard.

The doubts I have is because DCS benefits from high CPU clocks in single core where Intel seems better, but thinking a bit in the future and that one day VULKAN will be implemented, the 8 cores / 16 threads are beneficial of Ryzen.

Wait ... Wait:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4036454&postcount=40

In any case, after passing the I7 2600K, improvement could be noticed even with the Ryzen, isn't it? Or maybe I am getting a lot of illusions and my I7 2600K, even though it is from 2011, isn't making a bottleneck with the RTX 2080 too much?

You will see improvement, be sure.

Hello, Der Hirte,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Have a look into these before you decide and buy:

and check his channel out if you want more information.

So much for the motherboard.

I understand that you mean that a motherboard so expensive is not necessary, isn't it?

You personally, which one would you choose for the 3700x?

I need at least 2 USB 3.0 for CV1 and at least 7 more USB for Warthog, pedals, keyboard, printer mouse and speakers...and of course I will not need PCIe 4.0!!!

Regards

I understand that you mean that a motherboard so expensive is not necessary, isn't it?

The mid range AM4 boards in this era are very good boards. The ~350 bucks or more boards are only for prestige in my eyes, e.g. for people who want to throw out their money so badly they go buy a high end Ryzen board. Very niche compared to the rest of the market.

You personally, which one would you choose for the 3700x?

Personally I will build a 3800X/2080Ti system for the Reverb and Viper before the years end and I will go with the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro or Master, the 250€ Pro version most likely. I recommend you the Gigabyte boards for a Ryzen system right now. Go have a look at the X570 Aorus Elite, only around 200 bucks.

I need at least 2 USB 3.0 for CV1 and at least 7 more USB for Warthog, pedals, keyboard, printer mouse and speakers

Let your keyboard use PS2, if it has no connection use an adapter. My printer I haven't always plugged in, only when needed, same with the flight sim controls so doing this would reduce your requirements. I will also buy a separate plugin card to drive my Reverb on a different USB controller than all the other stuff. This is how I will do it and I'll have all the devices you have.

...and of course I will not need PCIe 4.0!!!

Heh, no one does. But the boards are so good and relatively cheap why would somebody not go the newer tech route? It was the same with the NVMe SSDs a while ago.

The mid range AM4 boards in this era are very good boards. The ~350 bucks or more boards are only for prestige in my eyes, e.g. for people who want to throw out their money so badly they go buy a high end Ryzen board. Very niche compared to the rest of the market.

Personally I will build a 3800X/2080Ti system for the Reverb and Viper before the years end and I will go with the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro or Master, the 250€ Pro version most likely. I recommend you the Gigabyte boards for a Ryzen system right now. Go have a look at the X570 Aorus Elite, only around 200 bucks.

Let your keyboard use PS2, if it has no connection use an adapter. My printer I haven't always plugged in, only when needed, same with the flight sim controls so doing this would reduce your requirements. I will also buy a separate plugin card to drive my Reverb on a different USB controller than all the other stuff. This is how I will do it and I'll have all the devices you have.

Heh, no one does. But the boards are so good and relatively cheap why would somebody not go the newer tech route? It was the same with the NVMe SSDs a while ago.

Hi, Der Hirte

We will take a look at those AORUS, it seems that they speak quite well of them. Could I do OC at 3700x with the X570 Aorus Elite?

Regarding the issue of the need for USBs, perhaps it is about comfort rather than a real need ?!

What RAM are you thinking about? Could you recommend manufacturer and model to put 32GB to 3200? I do not need them with RGB if they can be somewhat cheaper ... enough lights has the TOMCAT cockpit?!

Thanks once again and regards

If it helps ? here a translated article (from french Sept.12th) about Zen 2 with latest AGESA, that I think is covering all aspects along the 16 pages, compairing 24 cpus intel/amd :

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comptoir-hardware.com%2Farticles%2Fcpu-mobo-ram%2F39774-test-ryzen-3000-a-x570-round-2.html%3Fstart%3D0

1 flight sim is tested on page 12 last test. OC, voltages and temps (with same nH-d15 cooler) are talked about. Interesting article I think.

EDIT : maybe in spanish it's better for you :

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=fr&tl=es&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comptoir-hardware.com%2Farticles%2Fcpu-mobo-ram%2F39774-test-ryzen-3000-a-x570-round-2.html%3Fstart%3D0&sandbox=1

Edited by toutenglisse
in post

To me that reads like: 3600 for budget, 3700X mainstream or 3900X if you got the cash.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If it helps ? here a translated article (from french Sept.12th) about Zen 2 with latest AGESA, that I think is covering all aspects along the 16 pages, compairing 24 cpus intel/amd :

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comptoir-hardware.com%2Farticles%2Fcpu-mobo-ram%2F39774-test-ryzen-3000-a-x570-round-2.html%3Fstart%3D0

1 flight sim is tested on page 12 last test. OC, voltages and temps (with same nH-d15 cooler) are talked about. Interesting article I think.

EDIT : maybe in spanish it's better for you :

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=fr&tl=es&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comptoir-hardware.com%2Farticles%2Fcpu-mobo-ram%2F39774-test-ryzen-3000-a-x570-round-2.html%3Fstart%3D0&sandbox=1

Thank you,Toutenglisse

We will take a look ... and yes, in Spanish much better?!

Regards

Edited by CaptYosi73

To me that reads like: 3600 for budget, 3700X mainstream or 3900X if you got the cash.

Thank you, BitMaster

We have a budget of 1200 euros for motherboard, 3700x, RAM, NOCTUA nh d15, NVMe for SO and a newpower supply...

I will reuse my HAF-X, the RTX 2080, a 500GB SSD for DCS and 1TB HDD for data.

Could I do OC at 3700x with the X570 Aorus Elite?

Sure, you can't really OC these Ryzens like people are used to from Intel but if you want to really squeeze out the last bit of performance through overclocking go with the AORUS Pro, it has slightly better components. There is a WiFi and non WiFi version, just so you know.

Regarding the issue of the need for USBs, perhaps it is about comfort rather than a real need ?!

I think so, too. But better to make sure.

What RAM are you thinking about? Could you recommend manufacturer and model to put 32GB to 3200? I do not need them with RGB if they can be somewhat cheaper ... enough lights has the TOMCAT cockpit?!

I haven't looked into 3200 MHz RAM, I'm getting two modules with 3733 clock. As long as you have the lowest timings for a 3200 module(s) and a good brand you're good to. As for the RGB, I have the impression the manufacturers or dealers want you to buy RGB stuff, these seem to be less expensive somehow. I don't need these either but if they're noticeably or even somewhat cheaper then why not.

One point I will raise is that the I9-9900KF chips (I9-9900K without integrated graphics) seem to be frequently going on sale for 400-420 USD at the moment, and they have lower ram latency, so at the moment you may be able to run lower cost parts compared to most of the Ryzen high end builds.

It's worth checking the prices to see if it's within the budget.

One point I will raise is that the I9-9900KF chips (I9-9900K without integrated graphics) seem to be frequently going on sale for 400-420 USD at the moment, and they have lower ram latency, so at the moment you may be able to run lower cost parts compared to most of the Ryzen high end builds.

It's worth checking the prices to see if it's within the budget.

Hi Voyager!

I have not yet decided, this new Intel did not know but looking at the network I find at prices above 500 euros ?!

Regards