Disconnecting from friends Server

eScourge

Hello all,

Sorry if this has been addressed previously I could not find anything with the search function.

I have a problem maintaining a server connection to a friends server when He is hosting. ping is <100

I get a connection timed out message at random times, sometimes 30 sec, sometimes 30 min etc.

I have no problem maintaining connection to public servers with a ping >300 indefinitely.

Port 10308 TCP/UDP opened on firewalls and routers at both ends.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have a solution?

Thanks for your help:)

• 4 months later...

Lots of potential reasons.

With DSL (but also with Internet via TV cable), I have seen many bad connections that would keep resetting every couple of hours, or even every couple of minutes. In some cases, it may help to replace the crappy router provided by the Internet provider by a better model, but that's going to cost some money and there are no guarantees that it'll help. Maybe friends or family members have a good router that they don't need anymore, in order to test this.

It may also help to limit the Internet connection bandwidth on the DSL router/modem. Not all modems offer that setting, but if the option is there, it might get the line to be more stable.

If the line as such is okay, it's still possible to jam it with too many connections or too much bandwidth requirement. Most Internet providers offer a huge downstream, but only a fraction of that as upstream. The player who hosts a game needs upstream to facilitate all the clients. If other uploads are happening at the same time, it's possible that some of the connections might time out, although it would be more common to see warping first, where player aircraft rubber-band back on forth like crazy.

I would definitely take a look at all the monitoring options that the router/modem offers in order to figure out if it's more of a bandwidth problem or more of a connection problem.

Of course it's also possible that your friend's computer simply can't handle it, but then your friend should also be seeing crashes or severe lag spikes, so my money would be on problems with the Internet connection or the modem.

And a tiny side note, clients don't need to open any ports on their routers. That's only necessary for those who run the server.