Advice on targeting laser/unguided bombs

heynewt

Still very much a DCS noob, but I really like it, especially playing in VR in the Oculus Rift.

Flying the SU-25T, I've progressed past the tutorial stage and I'm now beginning to play with campaign challenges.

My biggest frustration is simply coming up on targets before I have time to properly get into weapons mode, locate the target on the tv screen while slewing with those awful standard keyboard shortcuts, and then set up for the kill.

The blue labels on the target show up so late and they're always so far to the left or right of my nose that I spend my valuable targeting time trying to get myself flying straight and level at the target so I can jump out of flying for a minute while I search the tv screen for the tiny black dot that is the target. I always end up right over the target before I can get a shot off.

Any advice or techniques you guys use for getting the plane aligned early with a target you can't see until you're really close to it?

Thanks,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

When coming up to the target area have the hud prepared in ground attack mode, slew the curser down to the bottom of the hud so you don't have to move it so far when you get to the target, move the plane near the target and not the curser. Let's you quickly acquire and be ready to fire off a missile.