DCS SteamVR - constantly crashes after F16 update

Deadlift

So

I'm trying to get this sorted since 3 hours now.

Whenever I am in SteamVR and try to do any mission either the F-14 or F-16 ones I get a crash.

Tried the lua hotfix, tried reinstalling SteamVR, DCS tried going back to live channel to beta channel.

Tried game fix so far nothing worked.

Also got a funny metashader bug in between...

It worked fine yesterday after release and today its a mess, no changes to system, hardware or software.

You can find the Log packages here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NnPK4adh1uMH2XB_I_H1lfMy0qYirax3

sounds like i have the same problem. Game freezing after every 5mins, no VR though. Sometimes it even crashes on login or menu screen... tried all of the above, no joy.

DCS log;

dcs.lua

Edited by Lt. Scribbles

RIG SPECS:

-Win 10 professional

-i5 8600k @5.0GHz

-ASUS Maximus X Code

-Samsung 960 Evo 256GB M2 SSD

-Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M2 SSD

-32GB DDR4 RAM @3000MHz

-Asus Strix 1080 Ti 11G

-LG 34UM68-P Monitor

Notebook:

-Win10

- 2018 ASUS ROG GL703gs-E5011T

(i7-8570H, 16GB DDR4, 256GB M2 SSD,GTX1070 8GB.

sounds like i have the same problem. Game freezing after every 5mins, no VR though. Sometimes it even crashes on login or menu screen... tried all of the above, no joy.

DCS log;

This actually happens to me aswell, on select missions earlier than on others though...

(edit)

also tried the solution here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4059424&postcount=5

sadly didnt solve it for me.

I'm at a loss, I tried not connecting any VR controller all steamVR modes, empty saved games files, reinstalled all modules again.

Edited by Deadlift

• ED Team

Hi all

please ensure you have removed all unofficial mods ( if any ) and then run a cleanup and repair.

if you still have problems go for a fresh DCS.Openbeta folder in saved games.

a guide is in my signature.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all

please ensure you have removed all unofficial mods ( if any ) and then run a cleanup and repair.

if you still have problems go for a fresh DCS.Openbeta folder in saved games.

a guide is in my signature.

Thanks

Thanks for the info I sadly have done all that already.

I am currently going for a completely fresh steam install even.

Sorry for double post but I am getting utterly frustrated by this...

I have an almost fresh system now (well except actually replacing windows 10) steam is installed from scratch all folders and other traces deleted all drivers cleaned and reinstalled.

I even updated my Bios all my MB drivers...

On a fresh install the game works, until I start it in VR, from then on it also doesn't allow me more than 5 minutes in non VR gameplay.

No other game has issues with VR, SteamVR recovers right after I restart DCS after it crashes.

The only thing I can say, is that it works on my alt PC with a 1080 ti and in my main theres a 2080 ti in, but I am not switching cards now to make sure.

Added another crash log to the list in first post.

Edited by Deadlift

• ED Team

Hello,

sorry to see you are still having trouble

please contact support directly https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

Include your dcs.log and dxdiag it will help them to have as much info as possible.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/710/

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I am getting the same problem. No answer. I have not been in DCS for a little while but I jumped on when the F16 became available and now cant fly for very long.

I see in your logs you are getting theis error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Exactly what I am getting as well and seems to have happened to people in and out of DCS a fiar bit.

edit. Only in VR, steam VR with index. steam beta or non beta makes no difference.

Edited by metalnwood

• ED Team
I am getting the same problem. No answer. I have not been in DCS for a little while but I jumped on when the F16 became available and now cant fly for very long.

I see in your logs you are getting theis error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Exactly what I am getting as well and seems to have happened to people in and out of DCS a fiar bit.

edit. Only in VR, steam VR with index. steam beta or non beta makes no difference.

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

usually a driver problem, a fresh install of the driver may help.

also ensure windows is up to date.

if you still have problems make a post with your dcs.log and dxdiag and we will take a look.

thanks

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

usually a driver problem, a fresh install of the driver may help.

also ensure windows is up to date.

if you still have problems make a post with your dcs.log and dxdiag and we will take a look.

thanks

Thanks for that, I just came to post that it seems to be working after updating to the newest driver (I was on a 2 month old one) and removing my complete saved games directory. Removing the shaders by itself earlier didnt work but this seems to have let my land in a scenario that would crash every time. So fingers crossed ! :)

I see the OP's log had the same error.

Hi,

I got it to run again, sadly drivers weren't the issue alone (did a clean install after my initial problem).

Must have been some residue on the disk after reinstall so a fresh steam install on a new ssd did the trick in the end.

TBH though I have refreshed everything including changing CPU overclocking, MB firmware etc.

So hard to say what did the trick in the end truly.

I all,

I have the same error for the last 2 weeks (VR here). Tried NVIDIA drivers fresh install, fresh install of Steam and steamvr, repair, clean, no mods, etc. Nothing worked, always the same error "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED" in the Windows event log.

Going to try later after work delete/rename Savegames DCS folder, its the last thing i can remember to do.

Dont know what to do more. Can't fly.

Best regards,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• ED Team
Hi,

I got it to run again, sadly drivers weren't the issue alone (did a clean install after my initial problem).

Must have been some residue on the disk after reinstall so a fresh steam install on a new ssd did the trick in the end.

TBH though I have refreshed everything including changing CPU overclocking, MB firmware etc.

So hard to say what did the trick in the end truly.

Good to hear you made progress, thanks for letting us know.

I all,

I have the same error for the last 2 weeks (VR here). Tried NVIDIA drivers fresh install, fresh install of Steam and steamvr, repair, clean, no mods, etc. Nothing worked, always the same error "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED" in the Windows event log.

Going to try later after work delete/rename Savegames DCS folder, its the last thing i can remember to do.

Dont know what to do more. Can't fly.

Best regards,

F.

Hi, please post your dcs.log and dxdiag we will take a look.

thanks

Good to hear you made progress, thanks for letting us know.

Hi, please post your dcs.log and dxdiag we will take a look.

thanks

Thank you for your quick reply to help. I think i have found the solution to this problem, at least to me, i downloaded Firestorm software (Zotac GTX 1080ti here) and downclocked my GPU. My GPU was OC from default (Core clock 1970mhz) and i downclock the Core clock about 250 MHz and downclock the memory about 80mzh and since then no more the error "Device removed", so my advice to everyone with this kind of crash is to try to downclock the GPU because some of them, included mine GTX 1080ti, are with OC from the factory default. Please, share this info when someone have this issue, it may help more virtual pilots here.

Spend last 3 weeks trying a fix to this. First was steamvr problem, error -201, then steamvr updated a fix, and then this error start to be from NVIDIA as far i can tell.

Thank you,

And best regards.

Fagulha.

Edited by fagulha

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• ED Team
Thank you for your quick reply to help. I think i have found the solution to this problem, at least to me, i downloaded Firestorm software (Zotac GTX 1080ti here) and downclocked my GPU. My GPU was OC from default (Core clock 1970mhz) and i downclock the Core clock about 250 MHz and downclock the memory about 80mzh and since then no more the error "Device removed", so my advice to everyone with this kind of crash is to try to downclock the GPU because some of them, included mine GTX 1080ti, are with OC from the third party factory default. Please, share this info when someone have this issue, it may help more virtual pilots here.

Spend last 3 weeks trying a fix to this. First was steamvr problem, error -201, then steamvr updated a fix, and then this error start to be from NVIDIA as far i can tell.

Thank you,

And best regards.

Fagulha.

Thank you for sharing,

I have seen other users who have had better results down clocking.

good to see you are up and running. :thumbup:

Thank you for sharing,

I have seen other users who have had better results down clocking.

good to see you are up and running. :thumbup:

Thank you for your kind words.

It was the last thing i thought it will be, i read a lot this last weeks about this issue to try to understand what we can do to solve this in some way.

Made 2 hours flight each in Caucasus (it happened always in Caucasus) and Persian Gulf, no crashes yet, so, i keep testing but i think it is solved for now.

We keep in touch.

Thank you and have a nice day.

F.

EDIT: please, if anyone tried the fix stated above share here the results to see if it helped. Thank you.

Edited by fagulha

DCS has been crashing like this back since 2.5.4 first released in December last year. It is not a driver issue: I keep my drivers up to date, and have tried every single version released between July 2018 and now. DCS crashes with every single one.

For a while, underclocking my graphics card did the trick, until recently that is.

I lost count on how many hours and even days I spent finding solutions:

- I delete the fxo and metashader2 folder every time I update my graphics driver and on every DCS patch;

- After every DCS patch I run a repair/cleanup;

- I tried registry changes (TDR timings);

- I opened up my case, removed the graphics card, dusted off everything;

- I have re-installed DCS a few times (didn't help);

- I have re-installed Windows a few times (didn't help);

- Yes I have deleted the Saved Games folder and loaded in again, redoing all my settings; then I load a free flight mission and DCS crashes within 20 seconds.

It's always the same story:

2019-10-16 14:10:26.050 ERROR DX11BACKEND: DX device removed. Reason: 0x887A0006

2019-10-16 14:11:05.827 ERROR DX11BACKEND: failed to create vertex buffer. Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

2019-10-16 14:11:05.827 ERROR DX11BACKEND: Failed assert `false && "failed to create vertex buffer"` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11BufferManager.cpp:370

2019-10-16 14:11:05.828 INFO EDCORE: try to write dump information

This is indeed getting increasingly frustrating. DCS is the only "game" I play, and other than riding my motorcycle it's my main hobby.

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• ED Team

Hi Elysian Angel,

what card do you have? is it overclocked either manually or factory overclocked?

edit just seen the spoiler in your sig

ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

• ED Team

Some users with overclock's have been seeing stability issues with DCS,

some have had success with a slight underclock

is it overclocked either manually or factory overclocked?

edit just seen the spoiler in your sig

ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Yes it's factory overclocked. As I said in my previous post, for a few months I didn't have any problems after underclocking my 1080Ti (I use ASUS GPU Tweak II): I created a specific profile that I have to load up every time I want to start DCS.

That no longer works: DCS now crashes regardless of the clock settings.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

• ED Team

Have you contacted support directly yet?

If not please do, they will want your latest crash log and dxdiag.

I hope it got sent properly. Why does it state "status: User"?

74Ik82j.png

Edited by Elysian Angel
screenshot didn't display
Spoiler

• ED Team
I hope it got sent properly. Why does it state "status: User"?

74Ik82j.png

It means, you as the user made the last reply.

thanks