S3 Refuel - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 04:01 AM   #21
Revs

oh crap I'm not invisible ? I was seconds away from posting my nude collections.

that make sense, I tried to make a vid twice and S3 ruining it. lol

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #22
Ornithopter

When you are talking 3mm here and 3mm there, you are talking The Force. I guess that's why not everyone could qualify as a military aviator in real life.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #23
probad

what is real is "lazy lefthand syndrome"

even if you move your throttle only half a millimeter, if you just leave it there, you're going to keep accelerating
you can hold formation regardless if you move your throttle 1 millimeter or 40 millimeters, what matters is that you're applying the correct amount of counterinputs to equalize, which means you better keep that left hand awake and sharp.
id go as far to say that the vast majority of formation holding issues is rooted in a sleepy left hand rather than any controlstick hooplah

now what we really need is the iron maiden

you wanna talk about short hoses
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL

Last edited by probad; 04-13-2019 at 08:23 AM.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #24
Cunning_Fox

I don't think slower makes things easier. I am setting the tanker to my stall speed or just near that. I think this is the usual refuel speed is it not? I think I've read that in the manual that for these smaller planes the refueling speed is at around 250+ knots... I don't remember where I've heard that.

Even with +15 curves (my usual setting) the plane goes crazy near the cone. It flies up and over the S3. The acceleration is rampant. I'm looking at my X-55 at times and the notches on the throttle hardly ever go beyond three bars. it stay at 0-10% and even those movements are so small I hardly even touch the thing. Still it gains momentum really fast and goes wild.

I am aware that if I don't keep my throttle down I will keep accelerating, but that's not the point. I am aware that if I get into jetwash I am too high, it's impossible to connect in the wash as you lose the load on the wing.

I'm not saying I'm the best, I'm just trying to tell you I know the basics.

I'm gonna try again... and again... and again... Out of 20 or so tries so far only 5 were crashing into the plane, about 7 of them took me too long to line up, the rest I've just restarted out of frustration.

No connection so far.

I haven't felt this incompetent since NES TopGun - I could never land the F-14 on the carrier in that game.

Jesus Christ, I've flown WW1 bombers in Rise of Flight more responsive than this.

EDIT: I've just tried the quick mission refuel training. The speed of the tanker is at 700 knots or smoething like that, and the same thing happens. I've had contact for a millisecond, but it disconnected because the plane just can't keep the same speed - it want to go faster or slower or it wants to go up for every miniscule increase in throttle.

Last edited by Cunning_Fox; 04-13-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Cunning_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #25
Deano87

Keep practicing. That’s all I can say.

And setting the tanker near your stall speed is NOT the correct thing to do. You want to be at around 330 knots indicated if you can. Or possibly faster. The faster the tanker is going (within reason) the higher in the throttle bracket you’ll be and the faster the engines will respond to inputs. If you’re all the way back near idle because the tanker is going so slow then I’m not surprised the engines are sluggish to respond. Sweep your wings back to bomb mode to make the whole aircraft more stable and then away you go.

Record a video using shadowplay or something and let us see what you’re doing then we can give you some better advice. But there’s nothing wrong with the jet.

DCS F-16C REALLY IS A THING! - BLOCK 50 BABY!!!

My Screenshots - Excited About = PointCTRL VR
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #26
Cunning_Fox

Default S3 Refuel

How do you correct for PIO in F-14? It feels like my input comes 5 seconds later even with 0 curves. It stays in the same spot and then it starts moving again.

Unless I have a death grip on the joystick it is hard to keep it still... maybe I’ll reduce my deadzone to 0. That should make my hand travel less.

Edit: if I record a video your eyes will bleed - all the settings are lowest except textures and the frame rate is like 20. It’s flyable though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #27
Deano87

You’re flying too slowly and making too big an initial control movement. Control during tanking should be fingertips. You want a very small deadzone on the stick and a slight curve as well. And very small movements.

Setting the tanker faster will allow you to fly a more responsive aircraft.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #28
probad

agreed with everything deano said
recording footage would actually help diagnosis way more than you trying to describe it by text

also i dont advise you practice too hard, trying to pack too much into one session only leads to fatigue and frustration. your body needs time to process and internalize, so just put it aside and come back tomorrow.
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL

Last edited by probad; 04-13-2019 at 09:45 AM.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #29
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
agreed with everything deano said
recording footage would actually help diagnosis way more than you trying to describe it by text

also i dont advise you practice too hard, trying to pack too much into one session only leads to fatigue and frustration. your body needs time to process and internalize, so just put it aside and come back tomorrow.
Yep you’re right. You can only learn so much in one session. I think once you go over about 45 mins to one hour of concentrated practicing something then you need to stop and go do something different and then come back to it another day. At some point it’ll just “click” - well hopefully anyway.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #30
Cunning_Fox

This isn't my best attempt, but it shows what I'm doing pretty much.

I usually do better than this, but this time I just got tired of doing the same thing over and over again and cut the video and quit DCS.

https://youtu.be/UadcdwYoqgw

P.S. I've warned you - your eyes will bleed

Last edited by Cunning_Fox; 04-13-2019 at 11:22 AM.