S3 Refuel - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 02:54 AM   #11
Cunning_Fox

My Mission, if anyone wants to try it.

This is the one that is driving me nuts. I've set the S3 closer to the plane, because it's hard to catch up to it - you can't tell how far you are due to its small size.
Attached Files
File Type: rar refuelingF-14trainingE2.rar (7.9 KB, 5 views)
Cunning_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:57 AM   #12
Revs

Again sweep back and you’ll almost have to full after burner just to inch forward when you’re late on reaction.

On initial approach you can come at it fast deploy air break then roll on the side and yank the stick back, it’ll slow you down.

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:00 AM   #13
Cunning_Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
Ok dude - here is what you need to do..

- Get Jester to set the TACAN to the tanker, set your displays to TACAN (or just use the BDHI to the right).
- Point in the general direction and close on tanker, check in on radio advise intend to refuel, get tankers altitude and match it.
- Lock up the Tanker with PAL and set A-A HUD mode. Switch to camera mode on VDI and as you get closer you will see the tankers aspect angle from you.
-- Now you will have closure rate on the Left, and distance on the Right of the HUD. Use these to judge your closure and join with the Tanker.
- Try to avoid flying directly behind it, as the turbulence will screw you up.
- As you are closing, set wing sweep to 40-50 degrees - trim as necessary (nose up), deploy probe. Slow to match speed based on the info on the HUD.
- Match speed, altitude and trim, trim, trim. Settle off it's left wing. Get Jester to unlock Target (clearer HUD).
- When you are happy (hands-off S/L pretty much), move right directly behind the drogue and say you are ready to refuel - and they will either clear contact or say return pre-contact (in which case move a little closer and try again).
- Now just ease her in closer using the refuel pod as reference - from here it is just smooth controls. Adjust your axis curves if you need to.
- Plug in and drive forward a little more to start refuel - stay there

I made you a quick refuel mission to practice with, good luck. Is great fun when you nail it - I refuel before every mission now!

The mission would've been nice, except that I specifically said that I am trying to refuel from the S3, so it doesn't really follow the topic. Thanks for the effort, though.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:01 AM   #14
VampireNZ

The C-130 in the mission was for you to become more proficient at tanking - then change it to an S-3, but w/e...

Last edited by VampireNZ; 06-12-2019 at 11:14 PM.
VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:03 AM   #15
VampireNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning_Fox View Post
...- you can't tell how far you are due to its small size.
Read my post above - lock the tanker and use the indications on the HUD in A-A mode.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:13 AM   #16
Cunning_Fox

No, I know how the curves work. I just don't want to use them. From my experience, they don't really work if you want to do a proper dogfight becasue the turn rate slows your airframe down. Of course with curves this would be much easier. But you can't really switch between two modes, neither could the pilot.

I also don't measure how much my throttle moves, I'm saying what it "feels like". And it feels like with little input you get a lot of momentum. You don't get that in other planes. F-14 feels to me unwiedly and awkward. Especially in a jetwash.

You can't be on his left wing, because it contradicts the point you've made before "stay out of jetwash". If you even touch his aerodynamic trail, you will lose all control of the aircraft.

Also, S3 is extremely small, being on his left wing means you are literally in collsion range with the Aircraft. The only way to approach it seems to be climbing slowly on the left side, keeping his wing on the heading ruler of the HUD.

The one thing I do like is the lock-on mode that gives you the rate of closure. I'm gonna try this in a second, because this is driving me nuts.

Try my mission, you have to connect with the plane before it hits the shoreline, so you have a visual que as to how long you have until refueling is not possible.

Last edited by Cunning_Fox; 04-13-2019 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:26 AM   #17
probad

i dont think i really move the throttle much more than a millimeter back and forth
tomcat is a rock steady flyer though
once you get it trimmed alright you can take your hand off the stick for the most part

other notes
-you shouldnt be in his jetwash at all, if you are in the wing vortices you're way too high
-kick the hud addiction, the best speed gauge is right there in your windscreen already. tanker getting bigger = too fast, tanker getting smaller = too slow. it's way more accurate and responsive than any hud output.

if you don't know how to counter pio then it just means you still don't know how to control the airplane
and you're not gonna get better if you already think you're the best

in other words stop blaming the airplane
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL

Last edited by probad; 04-13-2019 at 03:38 AM.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:34 AM   #18
VampireNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
if you don't know how to counter pio then it just means you still don't know how to control the airplane
and you're not gonna get better if you already think you're the best
in other words stop blaming the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
-kick the hud addiction, the best speed gauge is right there in your windscreen already. tanker getting bigger = too fast, tanker getting smaller = too slow. it's way more accurate and responsive than any hud output.
Edit:Only suggesting using the HUD for speed when the tanker is outside easy visual reference (particularly important in VR) - obviously use the tanker for closer formation, is why I said get Jester to unlock target.

Last edited by VampireNZ; 04-13-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #19
Revs

I tried S3 for the first time, load up to 16000 lbs twice, both on single connection. no issue here except S3 retracts the cute at 16000 lbs, maybe how I set up the mission.

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:49 AM   #20
probad

well the s-3 carries like 17000lbs of gas, you're literally sucking it dry
in fact you can kill ai s-3 tankers by reconnecting with them while they're on their descent and sucking all their remaining fuel out of them

edit: just read over the thread again
dear op
why in the blazes is your tanker set at 260kt groundspeed
this is a strange phenomenon i see around, you people seem to think slower is going to make things easier???
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL

Last edited by probad; 04-13-2019 at 04:08 AM.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote