Question.: F18c reverse taxi on carrier

delevero

Hello.

As you all know it can be difficult to park a plane on an carrier, since there are limited space and allot of planes and stuff moving arround.

In real life they use a little tractor to pull/push planes. ( I guess )

since there are no tractor on the carrier in dcs and the f18c cannot taxi backwards then I can forsee some issues when people get to close to something and get "stuck" unable to move any further. This would be rather annoying especially in MP.

+ I like to ask will there be some kind of "cheat" feature so we can reverse the f18c or maybe a little tow tractor we can drive ?

+ And will it be possible on the new upcommin carrier to use the elevator and park the f18c below deck ?

Thank you for answer in advance.

I recall Wags or someone from ED mentioning they were not going to comment on carriers beyond confirming Case I, II, & III operations being implemented at some point. My guess is they are going to start working out updated carrier mechanics, I'm sure to include pushing back, after the hornet is stable & released.

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz l 32 GB DDR3 l MSI 1080ti l Gigabyte 97ZX l TrackIR + DelanClip l TM Warthog HOTAS l CH Pedals

AV-8B l AJS-37 l A-10A l A-10C l F-15C l F-16C l F-5E l F-14A/B l F-86F l F/A-18C l Hawk l M2000 l MiG 29 l NTTR l Persian Gulf l Su-27 l Su-33 l Su-25 l Supercarrier l L-39 l UH-1 l

Would that tractor fall under the "Combined Arms" umbrella?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I don't know if a tractor is always necessary (but would be really cool if it could be requested in DCSW). In this video the pilot is taxiing without a tractor:

https://youtu.be/NmGDl5WS0yk

he says "backwards"

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I don't know if a tractor is always necessary (but would be really cool if it could be requested in DCSW). In this video the pilot is taxiing without a tractor:

https://youtu.be/NmGDl5WS0yk

He is not taxiing backwards - This is due to the cable retracting while still on tailhook.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

+ I like to ask will there be some kind of "cheat" feature so we can reverse the f18c or maybe a little tow tractor we can drive ?

+ And will it be possible on the new upcommin carrier to use the elevator and park the f18c below deck ?

Thank you for answer in advance.

Don't know about the first item - good question. Aside from this particular issue, the flight deck is(as you know) a highly "orchestrated" place with lots of procedures and interaction with the deck crew and it will be interesting to see how and to what extend Eagle manages this aspect.

For the second question though - this is done by handlers and is actually a rather cumbersome and slow process that involves tying the aircraft down to the elevator before it descends....so letting the pilot "drive" it down to the hanger deck would not be a realistic proposition.

JJ

A simple solution would be the best. No need for a towing simulator. Just a simple F8 ground crew option with push back commands like: push back 1m, 2m, 5m, 10m, ..., "untill stop" and "stop" would work.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

A simple solution would be the best. No need for a towing simulator. Just a simple F8 ground crew option with push back commands like: push back 1m, 2m, 5m, 10m, ..., "untill stop" and "stop" would work.

Yeah I was thinking the same - a radio command menu(like for refuel and arming) with extended options for deck handling.

JJ

Towing is always done engines-off right? Perhaps an \ F8 F5 "Begin towing" radio menu to ground crew and then your pitch-bank axes steer the tractor since you don't need them for their normal duties.
I think I'd prefer for ground crew to be mostly automated. Radio I'm ready for towing. They take me to the CAT, and we go through the procedure to fix the launch bar to the shuttle, test holdback, and launch.

It's not my job to not hit things, that why we have yellow(?) shirts.

I think the XP version of TugMaster is probably the best way to go. You basically drive the tug

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Eh. I hope that we can taxi to the catapult ourselves. I do not want that simulated. Dropping the launch bar also should not be simulated.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Eh. I hope that we can taxi to the catapult ourselves. I do not want that simulated. Dropping the launch bar also should not be simulated.

Agreed, I hope we can as well. You would need some type of ground crew lining you up, especially if a server has exterior views disabled.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I think I'd prefer for ground crew to be mostly automated. Radio I'm ready for towing. They take me to the CAT, and we go through the procedure to fix the launch bar to the shuttle, test holdback, and launch.

It's not my job to not hit things, that why we have yellow(?) shirts.

That's not how real F-18s operate I don't think. Tractor towing is on deck into a spot where they start engines and self-propel toward the catapult. The tractor destination should usually be well clear of the launch and recovery areas.

Automated tractor pathing sounds like a bad idea as the deck situation is highly variable and the operators often untrained. A user-directed tractor can adapt and react to various situations much better than an algorithm.

That's not how real F-18s operate I don't think. Tractor towing is on deck into a spot where they start engines and self-propel toward the catapult. The tractor destination should usually be well clear of the launch and recovery areas.

Automated tractor pathing sounds like a bad idea as the deck situation is highly variable and the operators often untrained. A user-directed tractor can adapt and react to various situations much better than an algorithm.

I misspoke. I intended to say that I would want to be taken to the engine start location, i.e. no backing up reqd, then can startup and taxi per normal. Maybe with deck crew directing me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The only time tugs are used is prior to a launch when spotting aircraft for sequencing...

Aircraft are taxied around the flight deck all the time..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.