Reducing sensitivity of buttons on HOTAS Warthog?

You get the prompt when you try and save the file.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks, all. I ran the editor as administrator and I was able to save. Much thanks. I was trying to reset the button sensitivity for Engine RPM increase / decrease for the P-51.

Unfortunately, I am now having another issue, similar to imacken. I changed the values to 0.1 and -0.1 for all the .lua files that had the engine rpm settings mapped (a couple files in the DCS Wold OpenBeta / Mods / aircdraft / P-51D / Input / P-51D / joystick, including "default.lua" and "Saitek X52 Flight Control System", which, by the way, I don't own so not sure why it's there).

However, when I return to the game, there is no difference. I believe I changed all the .lua files available for the P-51 (I even changed the ones for the TF-51). Is there anything else I need to change?

System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro

Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

Thanks, all. I ran the editor as administrator and I was able to save. Much thanks. I was trying to reset the button sensitivity for Engine RPM increase / decrease for the P-51.

Unfortunately, I am now having another issue, similar to imacken. I changed the values to 0.1 and -0.1 for all the .lua files that had the engine rpm settings mapped (a couple files in the DCS Wold OpenBeta / Mods / aircdraft / P-51D / Input / P-51D / joystick, including "default.lua" and "Saitek X52 Flight Control System", which, by the way, I don't own so not sure why it's there).

However, when I return to the game, there is no difference. I believe I changed all the .lua files available for the P-51 (I even changed the ones for the TF-51). Is there anything else I need to change?

I don't fly the P-51 much and I when I do I use the left throttle for RPM control. But I looked at what ou are doing and found this:

The change of the RPM setting depends on the duration of the button's contact closure.

1. With the command values of 0.1 and -0.1:

it's almost impossible to release the buttons fast enough for fine adjustments. But when I bound a rotary encoder to the two commands I could adjust the RPM very smoothly. (the rotary encoder produces extremely short contact closures on every click)

2. With command values set to 0.01 and -0.01 I managed much smaller adjustments by pressing the buttons very shortly. This might be acceptable.

3. I set the command values even lower, but that did not seem to make much difference.

Conclusion: If you cannot bind a slider control to the axis command then the rotary encoders that are found on button boxes are a good solution. Reducing the command values has relatively little effect below 0.01

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

LeCuvier,

Thank you for your response. Would you happen to know why the P-51 would be any different from the OP's plane or other controls he is trying to adjust sensitivities for? I'm struggling to understand why our cases may be so different.

In any case, I will go ahead and try to set my settings to +/-0.01 and report back. Appreciate your spending time on this!

I have the CH Pro Throttle, which doesn't have any secondary axis to use for the RPM control (I believe the ministick provides axis control, but it's not helpful for the RPM lever). I was trying to bind a couple of the buttons on the throttle for increasing/decreasing RPM. At present, I' have it bound to the throttle slider on my joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro...), and it's a bit of a hassle to have to let go of the throttle and reach over to adjust my RPM.

Cheers,

SharkBait

System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro

Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

LeCuvier,

1. Would you happen to know why the P-51 would be any different from the OP's plane or other controls he is trying to adjust sensitivities for? I'm struggling to understand why our cases may be so different.

2. I believe the ministick provides axis control, but it's not helpful for the RPM lever)

1. I have modified .lua files for most of the planes I own and I have found that there is no common programming approach for the handling of control bindings. On some planes it helps changing the command values in the default.lua, in some I could create new commands using info from clickabledata.lua and change the "gain" parameter, and for some planes none of these work. In cases like this I was happy to have my DSD button box which provides 2 rotary encoders.

2. You might try to bind the ministick to the RPM axis and set it to "relative" under Axis Tuning.

Good luck!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

1. I have modified .lua files for most of the planes I own and I have found that there is no common programming approach for the handling of control bindings. On some planes it helps changing the command values in the default.lua, in some I could create new commands using info from clickabledata.lua and change the "gain" parameter, and for some planes none of these work. In cases like this I was happy to have my DSD button box which provides 2 rotary encoders.

2. You might try to bind the ministick to the RPM axis and set it to "relative" under Axis Tuning.

Good luck!

LeCuvier,

Your suggestion to try setting the ministick to "relative" is interesting. I looked in the Axis Tune panel in the controls, but couldn't find it. The only 3 check boxes I see are "Slider", "Invert", and "User Curve". I figured "Slider" might be what you are talking about but it didn't seem to be the case. Is there another way to set the ministick to relative?

LeCuvier,

Your suggestion to try setting the ministick to "relative" is interesting. I looked in the Axis Tune panel in the controls, but couldn't find it. The only 3 check boxes I see are "Slider", "Invert", and "User Curve". I figured "Slider" might be what you are talking about but it didn't seem to be the case. Is there another way to set the ministick to relative?

I'm sorry but I mixed this up. "relative" is an axis parameter in the "clickabledata.lua". Apologies for the confusion!

And I tried the ministick on my TM-WH throttle. It can drive the RPM setting, but when you release the stick it returns to the center position and so does the RPM value (even with "relative" set to True in clickabledata.lua).

If you could manipulate your ministick so that it does not return to center, it would probably work for the RPM setting.

LeCuvier

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry but I mixed this up. "relative" is an axis parameter in the "clickabledata.lua". Apologies for the confusion!

And I tried the ministick on my TM-WH throttle. It can drive the RPM setting, but when you release the stick it returns to the center position and so does the RPM value (even with "relative" set to True in clickabledata.lua).

If you could manipulate your ministick so that it does not return to center, it would probably work for the RPM setting.

No problem at all. Thank you for spending time to answer my question!

• 1 month later...
This is normal, because you're changing how the bind works within the game DCS just resets it. However, you will not lose the binding if you disable the mod, update the game and then re-enable the mod.

I'm resurrecting this thread as I still can't get this to work!

I'm confused - DCS saves the user bindings to files in 'Saved Games/DCS Open Beta/.....', and OVGME backs up the default ones in 'Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/...../Input/F-5E/joystick, and replaces them with the modified versions when enabling. Vice versa when I I disable the mod in OVGME. So, that seems all OK.

However, whenever I disable the mod - nothing to do with updates - I lose my bindings just for the radar settings changed in the mod.

I can't understand this, as why does OVGME have anything to do with the 'Saved Games' files at all?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm resurrecting this thread as I still can't get this to work!

I'm confused - DCS saves the user bindings to files in 'Saved Games/DCS Open Beta/.....', and OVGME backs up the default ones in 'Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/...../Input/F-5E/joystick, and replaces them with the modified versions when enabling. Vice versa when I I disable the mod in OVGME. So, that seems all OK.

However, whenever I disable the mod - nothing to do with updates - I lose my bindings just for the radar settings changed in the mod.

I can't understand this, as why does OVGME have anything to do with the 'Saved Games' files at all?

If your mod provides additional binding options (as most of mine do) and you have created bindings for these additional options, then you will certainly lose them in the following scenario:

You disable the mod, and with the mod disabled you start DCS World and open a mission with the aircraft concerned.

DCS will now see bindings in the .diff.lua file for which no binding options exist in the default.lua (or equivalent). DCS World will delete these orphan bindings from the .diff.lua. file and you will have to re-enter them after re-enabling the mod. Therefore, you should not run DCS World with mods disabled.

LeCuvier

If your mod provides additional binding options (as most of mine do) and you have created bindings for these additional options, then you will certainly lose them in the following scenario:

You disable the mod, and with the mod disabled you start DCS World and open a mission with the aircraft concerned.

DCS will now see bindings in the .diff.lua file for which no binding options exist in the default.lua (or equivalent). DCS World will delete these orphan bindings from the .diff.lua. file and you will have to re-enter them after re-enabling the mod. Therefore, you should not run DCS World with mods disabled.

Thanks for that, and that works, but I'm still confused.

All the mod does is alter a couple of values in the 'default.lua' and the 'Joystick - HOTAS Warthog.lua' files from the main ED/DCS folder. No additional bindings are occurring.

Why does DCS touch the diff.lua files at all? Also, why is it only the 2 bindings relating to the mod that change? None of my other bindings are affected.

Thanks for that, and that works, but I'm still confused.

All the mod does is alter a couple of values in the 'default.lua' and the 'Joystick - HOTAS Warthog.lua' files from the main ED/DCS folder. No additional bindings are occurring.

Why does DCS touch the diff.lua files at all? Also, why is it only the 2 bindings relating to the mod that change? None of my other bindings are affected.

Yes, if you change something in the definition of a binding option in the default.lua and then run DCS World then the binding to that option is lost.

So again, the recommendation is to not run the game with mods disabled. I have found myself spending a lot of time re-creating bindings.

To minimize the impact of such "accidents" I document all bindings in an Excel format, so I don't have to go through the thought processes again..

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Yes, if you change something in the definition of a binding option in the default.lua and then run DCS World then the binding to that option is lost.

So again, the recommendation is to not run the game with mods disabled. I have found myself spending a lot of time re-creating bindings.

To minimize the impact of such "accidents" I document all bindings in an Excel format, so I don't have to go through the thought processes again..

Why does it happen when the original default.lua is being used, i.e. when the mod is disabled? I’m missing the logic here!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I remain mystified by how this works.

Prior to updating to 2.5.1 OB, I disabled all mods. After updating, I re-enabled them all, and guess what? Yes, I had to re-bind all the radar controls in F-5!

I'm trying to understand how this works, but am failing miserably so far.

A little off topic but if you don't us target software what do you use. Im wondering because I got my TM warthog 2 days ago.

I don’t use any software, just direct input in any sim or game, e.g. DCS.

What would you use TARGET for?

So, I remain mystified by how this works.

Prior to updating to 2.5.1 OB, I disabled all mods. After updating, I re-enabled them all, and guess what? Yes, I had to re-bind all the radar controls in F-5!

I'm trying to understand how this works, but am failing miserably so far.

Is no one able to explain why this is happening? I didn't run DCS after disabling.

Have you got a "/Users/<name>/Saved Games/DCS" folder and a ""/Users/<name>/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta" folder now with different setup/config files in them?

Thanks, I only use the Openbeta, so only DCS.openbeta folder.

Is no one able to explain why this is happening? I didn't run DCS after disabling.

I have had to re-bind controls a few times and did not understand why. Do you only have the problem with the radar bindings for the F-5?

LeCuvier

I have had to re-bind controls a few times and did not understand why. Do you only have the problem with the radar bindings for the F-5?

Thanks for that. The only mod I have that affects bindings is the F-5E one we are discussing.

Thanks for that. The only mod I have that affects bindings is the F-5E one we are discussing.

I have added the F-5E to my O.B. 2.5.1. I have copied

1. the _MODS (default.lua) from 2.5.0 to 2.5.1 O.B.

2. Saved Games\...\Config\Input from 2.5.0 to 2.5.1 O.B.

I have enabled the _MODS.

I started DCS O.B. and opened a F-5E mission. All control bindings (incl. Radar) were ok.

LeCuvier

Thanks again. However, I don't understand what you mean. When you say 'enabled the _MODS', what does that mean? What mod are you talking about? Sorry!

OK, this is what happens.

1) Run DCS with clean F-5 install. Go to controls, bind the Radar tilt and TDC controls in the GUI. Load a mission. Everything OK. Main Program Files ‘default.lua’ and ‘Joystick – HOTAS Warthog.lua’ untouched. Saved Game diff files are modified.

2) Exit DCS. Run the mod for reducing sensitivity in OVGME. 2 files in main Program Files\….\joystick replaced by the modded ones. Diff files in Saved Games are untouched.

3) Run DCS and the bindings have gone. (Why is this if the bindings are held in the diff files which are untouched?)

4) Exit DCS, disable the mod via OVGME, go back into DCS, and hey presto! The bindings have reappeared. (Using the same diff files.)

Basically, whenever I enable the mod, the bindings disappear, and whenever I disable it, the bindings are OK. Seems to me there is another file(s) involved here.

Thanks again. However, I don't understand what you mean. When you say 'enabled the _MODS', what does that mean? What mod are you talking about? Sorry!

Sorry. I'm referring to the modified "default.lua" and "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua" which I keep under the "_MODS" folder for use with OvGME.

LeCuvier