Aerial Fire Fighting Operations

HardcoreBD

Hey,

Recently, I have gotten back into flight sims. Downloaded DCS 2.5 and am really impressed with so many aspects of the sim. I understand this is primarily a combat flight sim but....

Would there be any interest in developing modules/terrain for aerial fire fighting operations. I work in the industry as both a lead plane pilot & a tanker captain and we struggle to find proper training tools. Currently, we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars every year doing training with real bombers & lead planes. The cause of all of this training is mainly to benefit the lead plane pilot & Air attack officers who need to be able to direct aircraft movements over the fire and position them usually via lead in, to apply their product to the fire. While this definitely needs some hands on flying, much of the training is procedural and could easily be done in simulation. We do have a crude addon for FSX that does a very poor job of simulating this and nothing even near what DCS would be capable of imo.

I could see companies like ours willing to pay a LOT of money for a well developed Aerial fire fighting sim.

This may be out of the scope of DCS but thought I'd throw it out there!

Corey

Jeeze, maybe we could get them to build us a Crane simulator while they're at it!! After all, that's pretty much how they got started with the A-10. DOH! I just realized, there's no wind tunnel data for the S-64! :doh:

All kidding aside, I have to agree with you that DCS would make a much better simulator platform that the one they have now! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eh, personally I'd change aerial firefighting to SAR, I think at the moment aerial firefighting is a little out of scope.

But if ED does extinguishing of fires (would make sense for crash crews at airports, we already have 2 fire engines) I just don't know how you'd go about fighting an 'environmental' fire.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I understand the need. A stand alone training sim for that would be the way to go. A map of California and a few planes/choppers plus the delivery of the extinguishing/retardant medium should do it. Oh and sustained wind driven flames. Watch out for those Santa Ana wind conditions! If your industry has the big bucks, why not contact ED directly...$$$ talks.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

If there is a need then definitely have your people contact their people. Aerial firefighting has always fascinated me and is something I would buy into if it were commercially available at the fidelity available with DCS.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I think you spelt 'Aerial Fire BOMBING Operations wrong'... :P

Edit: To clear up any confusion - as fire bombing can also be the water-dropping kind, I meant the explodey-kind of bombing... And I was being sarcastic. Unless they make a Canadair CL-215...

Edited by cailean_556

• 3 months later...