Takeoff and land? Roll out after landing seems impossible

-0303-

Especially land. How to land safely without a pirouetting and ground looping?

~

Landing:

Given it must be three pointer. I apply 25 degree flap for neutral pitch trim. I see no point using full 60 degree flap and having to push the stick forward. The touch down speed will be near exactly the same in a three pointer. Make sure ball is centered at touchdown.

After touchdown it seems impossible to keep a straight course. There is one way that works consistently pretty good and that is to apply full brake from even before touchdown. It will not flip over with stick full back. I want stick full back anyway because I think this stabilizes the run.

But applying brakes from even before touch down and until full stop seems like 'cheating'. There should be a way to keep the roll straight without 'cheating'.

~

Takeoff:

Takeoff is 'easy'. Full throttle, pedals full right (like the Bf109), release brakes, stick immediately neutral/slightly forward and ease off pedals gradually (all happens within seconds). Push a little forward to get the tail off the ground as quickly as possible. Counter roll.

~

Takeoff is fine. What I'm really looking for here is tips on how to keep it rolling straight on rollout after three point landing. I have not flown it much yet. It took me a month to finally get the Spitfire, so maybe just (a lot) more practice? Then again I thought the lessons from the Spitfire would transfer.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Guess you got no help from this thread in the end?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241593

It is a challenge to be sure, but that's part of the charm of the I-16, I'd hate to see it changed, but the rudder help option could do with a few tweaks.

Try no flaps, glide approach and be quick on the rudder, short inputs seem best, if the short input fails keep the rudder held on full.

Curves help massively too, so I could take a look and suggest what I have when I get a chance.

Otherwise it's practice. :joystick:

Post a track, I could take a look and see if I have any suggestions if you want?

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-6700 3.4GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB - Logitech G940 - Oculus Rift CV1

I've gotten better. Need to land it even more Spitfire'ish. Emphasis on having near zero vertical speed on touchdown. It doesn't bounce like the Spitfire but the softer, the lesser chance of it swerwing to the side. Also set a heavy curve (25) on rudder. Subject to more experience I'll decide if it is actually more difficult than than Spitfire or I need to get more used to it.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Good to hear. :thumbup:

Circuits and bumps, it's quite fun! And if you haven't got Natural Head Movement on, maybe try it as it helps you see which way the plane is starting to yaw before things get too far gone.

I have more of a nightmare with the Spit myself.

I-16 - If it hasn't started to swerve, you know it will so be ready. :juggle:

Spit - May or may not swerve, seems that catches me out. :cry: I'll have to play with curves on it.

Edited by Magnatilla

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-6700 3.4GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB - Logitech G940 - Oculus Rift CV1

• 4 years later...

The prospect of a smooth takeoff and landing in aviation is awe-inspiring, showcasing the marvels of human engineering and skill. Yet, it's the post-landing scenario that baffles many. The seemingly impossible task of executing a flawless rollout after landing is a testament to the intricacies of aviation. The plane, a colossal mass hurtling through the sky, defies gravity during takeoff, but the real challenge lies in the art of landing gracefully. The pilot's expertise, combined with cutting-edge technology, ensures a safe descent, yet mastering the subtle nuances of a seamless rollout demands precision. It's a delicate ballet of braking, steering, and control, where split-second decisions determine success. The engineering marvels and human mastery intertwined in these processes are a testament to our ingenuity and determination, transforming the once-impossible into a routine feat.

• Like 1