Flight Model Change in 8/15 Open Beta update? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCU View Post
I'm no pilot either, but I base my opinion on real Hornet pilots' feedback.
I count the real F/A-18 pilots input and feedback to ED for any further improvement!
Having flown quite a few different planes IRL ranging from gliders to heavy airliners (with and without FBW) and high performance jets in the last decades,
I don't have any problems slamming an F/A-18 unflared onto a carrier deck every time (without a pitching and rolling deck of course!).

But since the latest patch this task has become way easier

Last edited by bbrz; 08-16-2018 at 12:02 PM.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM   #12
backspace340

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCU View Post
I'm no pilot either, but I base my opinion on real Hornet pilots' feedback. I think they're still working on it, as was acknowledged many times by ED on the forums, and it seems that approach mode behaviour is a bit more complex than changing a line of code so they're taking their time with it.

Apparently in app. mode your control over the plane is similar to your control in non-app. mode; there are some significant differences in FCS logic but for all intents and purposes it seems the pilot shouldn't feel them nearly as much as we do in DCS.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Pretty sure that IvanK guy who replied first is an ex-Hornet pilot (judging by some of the photos he's posted) and has been working with ED to get the drag numbers right - he's saying they're now essentially as they should be.
backspace340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #13
SCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace340 View Post
Pretty sure that IvanK guy who replied first is an ex-Hornet pilot (judging by some of the photos he's posted) and has been working with ED to get the drag numbers right -
Yep. Actually IvanK is one of the Hornet pilots I was referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace340 View Post
he's saying they're now essentially as they should be.
If you're talking about his earlier post in this thread, he was actually talking about gear drag; not FCS behaviour in app. mode.
SCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
Manhorne

I noticed the change too. I thought something was wrong with my HOTAS settings at first. I had gotten used to the previous version and the change was very noticeable going into landing configuration. Took me a few runs t adjust to it.
Manhorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
San Patricio

I have no way of judging if it is more realistic or not, but after breaking the muscle memory habits of doing CASE I's under the old flight model, the changes definitively makes it easier to control the aircraft on approach. I don't know if it's just the revised drag numbers of whether they've also tinkered with something else, but the plane now seems much less liable to sink like a stone when banking into the short final and it just generally seems easier to control the rise/sink rate than it used to be.
San Patricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #16
lucky-hendrix

Guys,

I have been practicing Case I as usual. But I can't get it to work well anymore.
And then I notied that in the Instant action Case I recovery mission, the CV is only traveling @ 11kts with 5kts wind.

I thought the wind over the deck should be around 25-30kts ? did they change it ?
lucky-hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:04 AM   #17
IvanK
ED Testers Team

PA pitch response is still being worked on
IvanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #18
wilbur81

Hey, IvanK.

Question for ya if you have time (no worries if not): Is the Hornet's roll rate below 400 kts pretty accurate at this Early Access stage? With a clean hornet (no pylons), the rate doesn't seem as snappy as what air show/youtube videos seem to suggest. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Just curious your thoughts as I'm surprised sometimes at how 'mushy' the roll feels below 400 kts.

On another note, I wasn't going to mention this because of the potentially subjective nature of such things, but the Flight Model really does seem to have been tweaked pretty significantly, and not for the better in certain flight regimes. I like to keep a mission saved with a clean hornet on the runway for airshow/aerobatics. I've tried 10 to 15 of those (low and aggressive) flights since Wednesday's update just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. The low speed handling of the Hornet (it's # 1 jewel) seems pretty significantly diminished. Anyone else notice this? This, of course, may bring us closer to realism, but it sure is hard to swallow after getting used to this bird being so excellent when slow. It also seems way more prone to unwanted roll inputs when pulling hard pitch. For example, before the update, it was fairly easy to make a low, flat, max performance break turn with the VV on the horizon throughout. Now, when initiating the break-turn, the nose bounces all over the place and speed seems to bleed at twice the rate as before. Am I just imagining all of this? :-)

Last edited by wilbur81; 08-17-2018 at 03:00 AM.
wilbur81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:18 AM   #19
Biga42

For me it's more difficult to get correct pitch for landing and the Throttle are far more sensitive. Took me 24 minutes to refuel, I used to spend no more than 4 for a complete full. When the gears are down it's climbing much more and 8.1 angle for landing.... have to re learn..
Biga42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #20
mjolner

Noticed the changes immediately and I must say things will be easier after some retraining.
mjolner is offline   Reply With Quote