Night Vision NVG in VR.

Stadius

I am playing with the Oculus Rift.

I just played my first night mission in the a-10C 'The Enemy Within' campaign. I figured out how to get the NVG on and adjust the gain but no matter what I did the MFCD's were unreadable. Most of the cockpit was unreadable. The Hud was OK after some adjustment. I adjusted the light settings as best I could and tried to tweak the gain but there seemed to only be a few settings on the gain from full black to full white.

I went on you tube and there are some videos that show the MFCD's legible with NVGs turned on but non seem to show it in VR.

Am I missing something? Or is this just an issue in VR?

Also, I noticed that the radio and labels do not show up when the NVG are active. Bug? Or by design? Again, is this just a VR problem?

Thanks,

Am I missing something? Or is this just an issue in VR?

Also, I noticed that the radio and labels do not show up when the NVG are active. Bug? Or by design? Again, is this just a VR problem?

Thanks,

Nope, you don't miss anything. That's how goggles work in real life. If you look at cockpit instruments through the goggles the will be blurried because you can't focus them under NVG's. Except that you can glance underneath them in real life. That's the big downside in VR right now.

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Nope, you don't miss anything. That's how goggles work in real life. If you look at cockpit instruments through the goggles the will be blurried because you can't focus them under NVG's. Except that you can glance underneath them in real life. That's the big downside in VR right now.

In the early 90's I was in a squadron that field tested a lot of ideas about 2nd generation NVG for aircrew/pilots.

One of those was blue light kits. Filters that you could attach to instruments and lights to filter out the offending spectrum. It was amazing. Worked great.

I won't get into details, but we ended up modifying almost everything that emitted light.

Can't believe the A10C doesn't have this.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

It does, doesn't it? NVG-compatible cockpits are absolutely everywhere these days. All military helicopters have them and so do most (if not all) civilian medevac helicopters. I am prettier sure the A-10C has an NVG-compatible cockpit as well. Even most Mi-17s have the mod done on them out of the factory nowadays.

It does, doesn't it? NVG-compatible cockpits are absolutely everywhere these days. All military helicopters have them and so do most (if not all) civilian medevac helicopters. I am prettier sure the A-10C has an NVG-compatible cockpit as well. Even most Mi-17s have the mod done on them out of the factory nowadays.

NVG-compatible cockpit doesn't nessesarely mean a cockpit where you can read the gauges through your goggles. It mostly means, that you can dim down the instrument panel lightning as it would otherwise block out your goggles due to the light it produces.

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

NVG-compatible cockpit doesn't nessesarely mean a cockpit where you can read the gauges through your goggles. It mostly means, that you can dim down the instrument panel lightning as it would otherwise block out your goggles due to the light it produces.

I know that. In fact, your definition is also wrong of what an NVG-ompatible cockpit is. You don't have to dim the lights with NVG-compatible lights, you can set them all the way up or down and they will not interfere with the goggles. The only way to read the gauges is by looking under your goggles or by refocusing your goggles. Nobody does the refocus thing anymore, that went away as soon as the full-face PVS-5s went away.

EDIT: for reference, and to be more specific:

3.2 NVIS lighting compatibility 3.2.1 Compatible interior lighting.

The aircraft interior lighting that provides acquisition of aircraft interior information with the unaided eye without degrading the image intensification capabilities of the NVIS during night flight operations.

Edited by AlphaOneSix