MEATBALL CLOSEUP FOR VR

Verde

Hi guys,

I usually don`t ask for mods, but this one is beggin, maybe a tallanted guy could to great work of giving VR users a meatball picture in corner or somewhere as resolution isnt there to see the original one in VR. Something like in Huey that shows crew status, maybe some other suggestions on meatball light?

would be cool.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hi guys,

I usually don`t ask for mods, but this one is beggin, maybe a tallanted guy could to great work of giving VR users a meatball picture in corner or somewhere as resolution isnt there to see the original one in VR. Something like in Huey that shows crew status, maybe some other suggestions on meatball light?

Got to admit, on my side in VR, the sorta Radar or what ever sphere behind the Meatball kinda interfer and sorta confuse the ball sight in VR. :(

f58f572c-14b5-4fd9-8eaf-8e6306f57d7a.jpg4HzHfHL.jpg

If IRL the meatball is hard to read, why would you get a enlargement in VR? Once the ILS bars pop up, like IRL, the we will have much better reference.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

If IRL the meatball is hard to read, why would you get a enlargement in VR? Once the ILS bars pop up, like IRL, the we will have much better reference.

I know what you mean but 3/4 mile at least we should see it in good conditions and our approach is good with good numbers etc. If not at least have the option to have it so we can see it for training. And "hard to read " is so subjective when you consider all sorts of factors as time of day, location of the Sun, weather.

I don't think you really wanna debate RL human eyes resolution vs VR 1st gen headset limited resolution don't you?

Are you guys approaching the carrier at the right altitude? If you are too low or too high, you will only see horizontal green lights. I'm still trying to get a hang of proper carrier landings, but I never had a problem seeing horizontal green lights and as long as I'm somewhere near the right altitude, I will also see meatball.

It's not perfect and certainly you cannot see it as well as on a screen but I find if I fly the numbers right I can see it 'good enough' to stay roughly on glideslope until I get in close, at which point I can read it decently well. And that's with 1.0 PD. My short tests at 2.0 and 1.5 seemed to make it visible from slightly further out as well.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

+1 for OP's idea here too.

I can't see the ball until I'm on top of it in VR, by then I'm guaranteed a bolter!

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

+1 for OP's idea here too.

I can't see the ball until I'm on top of it in VR, by then I'm guaranteed a bolter!

What is your altitude after the 180 (final turn) as you start lining up. Jabbers is around 300ft mark as he starts to complete the turn and 210ft as he's lined up. If you hit these numbers, you will see the ball. As you approach the ship and try to land, at some point you come close to the correct glideslope and that's where you are start seeing high/low ball - most likely by that point it's too late to do anything, but try to slam the deck. What would really help is LSO who can say high/low as you are in the groove.

Edited by mx22

Exactly.

Do not forget - that numbers are for a 0.75-1NM groove! If you are longer in the groove=more behind the ship, you are most likely below glidepath and can't see the ball - not due to VR but because you are too long in the groove/ far below glidepath.

I am using the Oculus and can see the ball from when I am at the 90-45 all the way until touchdown when it is a perfect approach.

So first of all: Make sure your approach-technique is correct.

Most pilots I see start the final turn much too late. If the ship is doing 20 kts. you can start your turn abeam of the LSO-platform or abeam the round-down.

Regards

REAPER 31 | Painter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interestingly enough I also noticed that seeing the centreline is much easier on the old carrier model than the new one in VR. Seems like the contrast is much higher.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

• 4 months later...

Flying ILS (really ACLS) all the way is a really bad idea for landing on the boat. The ILS can assist in set up, but IRL once you see the ball you fly the ball and only the ball all the way in. Aside from the skewed inertial reference frame from ILS, it gives you no information as to if you are in the amber window or not.