putting coordinates in

When you switch to EDIT mode all lights will be off, "cold."

PVI-800.gif

The PVI-800 can hold 6 waypoints, 4 fix points, 2 airfield points, and 10 nav-target points. First you tell the PVI-800 which of the 4 categories of points (red highlight) you want to edit by pressing the associated task pushlight. After that you press the number of the point you want to edit. The number illuminates in the upper right hand field and the coordinates for that point show on the main part of the display if present or blank if that point has yet to be programmed.

Dialing in the coordinate with the number keys, the display starts to fill with the new coordinate numbers. Once a valid, complete coordinate is entered the ENTER pushlight will illuminate prompting the user to press the ENTER button to store the changes.

Once ENTER is pressed the point is stored and should be varied in the CHECK master mode and used in the OPER master mode.

Example, setting the AIRFIELD 2 point to 41°13.5'N, 38°45.4'W:

Editing

Master mode dial EDIT

Press AIR FIELD

Press 2

Press 0-4-1-1-3-5-0-0-3-8-4-5-4

View ENTER pushlight has illuminated

Press ENTER

Checking

Master mode dial CHECK

Press AIR FIELD

Press 2

View display shows +41°13.5' / +038°45.4'

Edited by Frederf
  • Like 1

If you have the BS dvd, on it under video folder you will see the Producer's Notes videos. If you have not yet, check out the Navigation video.

You can also check them out here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=32511

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There will be no new wp on abris, PVI and Abris are separed navigation systems and share only small amount in information. You'll need follow the HSI and HUD if you want to get to a new waypoint.

My suggestion - read the manual atleast once. Answers to most of your questions can be found there. it will save you several hours waiting for responses on forum ;)

There will be no new wp on abris, PVI and Abris are separed navigation systems and share only small amount in information. You'll need follow the HSI and HUD if you want to get to a new waypoint.

My suggestion - read the manual atleast once. Answers to most of your questions can be found there. it will save you several hours waiting for responses on forum ;)

i ve been over that thing many times and there is alot of stuff in there i have a hard time understanding.thats why come here looking for simple basic answers that i can understand.thanks for the help though

The section in the manual on the PVI-800 is nearly indecipherable to me and several others I have talked to since the manual STILL references the Russian cockpits and lettering. By the time I figure out what the lambda-sigma-****ed-up-A-****ed-up-R button is in the English cockpit, I forgotten what it was for in the first place.

I started rewritting and translating the manual's sections on the PVI-800 so that they have English cockpit references and pictures, but I had to quit that while I worked on some missions for my squad. I'll get back to it later, but for right now, I still can't figure out the PVI-800. Most other systems, even the ABRIS (since the Abris part of the manual is in english) I understand and know how to work.

Anyway, I say this, because if there is ONE section of the manual that is hard as hell to interpret, it's on the PVI-800, at least for my learnig style where I kinda have to learn the switch names and see them in my head in order to remember them at all, so when I see them talking about the ****ed-up-A-****ed-up-U button in the manual, it just doesn't register. I can't remember cryillic. Hell, I can't even spell it.

Edited by Speed
  • Like 1

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

• 7 years later...

I realize this is very old, but at least I didn't just jump into the forums and start a new thread when there have been previous discussions.

Anyway, I do not typically fiddle with manually entering coordinates provided by Drones / JTAC etc, into the PVI, but for the sake of adding some fun, I decided I was going to learn, especially since the 104th is providing such a feature. I tried to enter the decimal format provided and it would NOT take one of the numbers? I received a decimal format coordinate as follows:

57940 78702

At which point I put the-

PVI in "EDIT" mode

Selected "NAV/TGT"(I wanted to create a Target point)

Selected "1"(To assign it as Target #1)

Selected "+/0" (To select Northern Hemisphere)

Entered "57,,,,,9 WOULD NOT ENTER?

Why would "9" not enter? I tried random numbers and they took? I also received other coordinates, and for some reason, there happened to be a number in that coordinate that would not take either? Now as I understand it, the PVI only accepts Decimal format, I believe that is what I am entering? The other format provided on the server is also in Minutes/Seconds etc , e.g. 42.14.579 042.02.483 Am I supposed to be using that coordinate instead and rounding off the 5th digit? Thanks for any help.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I entered the zero to select the Northern Hemisphere for the 1st string of numbers, such as post 4 indicates

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Hmmm, I have no idea how you converted that, but i don't think it matters to me at all right now. I say that because the info that is broadcasted for coordinates is also broadcasted in format e.g."42.14.579". So if I follow you correctly, I should totally disregard the 5 digit formatted numbers, and only focus on the coordinate numbers provided in degrees and minutes, and round off?

e.g. take this # "42.14.579" and punch in "42146", correct?

For most navigation points that'll be close enough, I guess. If you want to pinpoint targets you should probably get the decimal right, but after all it isn't supposed to be a fine enough instrument to fire a weapon by coordinates.

Lets go there step by step:

I assume that is supposed to mean 42°14'57.9" (Degree/minute/second). The degrees and minutes are already ready to use. To transfer the seconds to a fraction of a minute we use that 60 seconds are 1 minute:

57.9 / 60 = 0.965

That means the coordinates in the format we need are:

+ 42 14 . 965

The PVI doesn't allow for that precision, so we got to round off here, resulting in:

+ 42 15 0

"I assume that is supposed to mean 42°14'57.9" (Degree/minute/second)." Correct!

I appreciate the conversion info. I have an impression however that most people are not using a calculator to do that while in the sim? Though if not, what other method would you use if your in a hurry and you just received coordinates and you have to convert the seconds before you can punch it into the PVI? I feel as though I may be missing something, but up to this point, I am following you and seem to realize what I may have been doing incorrectly.

That,,,,, certainly makes sense to me,,, thank you sir!