F-14 Liveries

Cdodders

Just bumping an old thread to see if there’s any update to this, or a list that’s currently updated.

Also wondering if there will be a livery for VF-211 upon release. They were primarily an A squadron but operated the B for 2-3 years in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

Will the classic Jolly Rogers livery with the yellow pilot helmets as seen in The Final Countdown be available ? (please …).

On a side note, can we change the pilot helmets or are they tied together with each livery?

As much as I would like that, I hope we won't see those until the F-14A.

I wouldn't mind to see it anyway, but could wait until after the early access release just to have the priority on the real 14B liveries.

Real question is: How different would the templates be? I always try to differentiate them by the engine nozzles, not sure about any other optical differences. If there really are none, doing it for one after the other would be very easy to do.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I'm going to anger lots of people here, but generally speaking, if the variant didn't operate with a certain livery, then it shouldn't have it available.

If anything, it makes the job of Heatblur easier. I think.

+Infinite.

I'm extremely adverse to liveries being on the wrong variant, and especially if someone is slapping VF-84's 1979 livery on an F-14D because bones. Heatblur won't do it, thank goodness, but there isn't anything preventing modders from making it happen and people from downloading it. That's fine, you have the freedom to do what you want, but I reserve the right to heckle.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I'm going to anger lots of people here, but generally speaking, if the variant didn't operate with a certain livery, then it shouldn't have it available.

If anything, it makes the job of Heatblur easier. I think.

Yeah, I'd say let the community handle the fantasy liveries, which it tends to do very well.

+Infinite.

I'm extremely adverse to liveries being on the wrong variant, and especially if someone is slapping VF-84's 1979 livery on an F-14D because bones. Heatblur won't do it, thank goodness, but there isn't anything preventing modders from making it happen and people from downloading it. That's fine, you have the freedom to do what you want, but I reserve the right to heckle.

giphy.gif

I'm all for people doing whatever they want but I personally cringe when I see the wrong livery/squadron insignia on the wrong bird. VF-84 gets put on everything and anything F-14 related and VF-103 (Sluggers) gets no love. Back in the 80s-90s it was the same VF-111, mental association I guess (skull and cross bones = F-14).

When the A comes out I want to see VF-302, VF-154, and VF-211 (I refuse to recognize them as VFA).

I think will provide at least one each of all the squadrons that flew the F-14B at any time. VF-11, -24, -32, -74, -101, -102, -103, -142, -143, and -211 all spent time in the A+/B. Some of these, like VF-24 and -211, only really had a single livery. VF-32 had only very minor variations. Others like VF-143 and VF-103, had at least a half-dozen different schemes in the B. I'm hoping the creators out there will focus on full coverage of B liveries before panning out to fictional/what-if stuff.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

All I want is a VF-1 with my name on it.

this gave me an idea and im sort of surprised its not a thing already. we can already change the side numbers of aircraft why not the names on the canopy? what if the plane could read the player name in the seat so if "Bill" was pilot his name would show up on the canopy based on your dcs MP name and if a player joined as RIO it would replace the Jester label? unlikely but that would be pretty cool and save repainters some work making a plane for each pair in a squadron for example and is a bit of personalization tech that could be applied to other aircraft possibly. seems like it could be the same tech used to change the side #s so I cant imagine it would be too hard to do. and if names cant be read like that then maybe a field to enter them on the loadout screen like with board #s?

(please no delays because I had an Idea :thumbup: )

Edited by tekrc

this gave me an idea and im sort of surprised its not a thing already. we can already change the side numbers of aircraft why not the names on the canopy? what if the plane could read the player name in the seat so if "Bill" was pilot his name would show up on the canopy based on your dcs MP name and if a player joined as RIO it would replace the Jester label? unlikely but that would be pretty cool and save repainters some work making a plane for each pair in a squadron for example and is a bit of personalization tech that could be applied to other aircraft possibly. seems like it could be the same tech used to change the side #s so I cant imagine it would be too hard to do. and if names cant be read like that then maybe a field to enter them on the loadout screen like with board #s?

(please no delays because I had an Idea :thumbup: )

That would be cool.

I vaguely remember something about the Viggen pre-purchase where your name could end up on an F-14 or something like that, that was a fair while ago though and I'm probably recalling incorrectly.