DCS 2.5 is an SSD required? Fluid problems.

Hello everyone

I have DCS 2.5, pc with i5 7600k, 16 GB ram ddr4, gtx 1060 6 gb, HDD 2 tb, drivers updated.

If I use high graphics settings, I play the game row but it slows down a bit with stuttering, especially when the hard disk is flashing.

Do I have to switch to an SSD?

Even you others have the same problem, can I solve it in some way?

Besides, it does not consume more than 8 GB of ram in total, is it normal?

I've never had an issue but I run 32GB of RAM. Yes there is a difference between running 16 and 32. I and several others have experienced it.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3444654&postcount=1

"it does not consume more than 8 GB of ram in total, is it normal?"QUOTE]

I would suggest your interpretation of that is incorrect.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I've never had an issue but I run 32GB of RAM. Yes there is a difference between running 16 and 32. I and several others have experienced it.

I do not think if I had 32 GB of ram it changes something, if I have 16 of them and I use a maximum of 8.

If you use more, maybe it does not slow me down.

When you go on with the mission, when there are the messages of my wingman etc. there are annoying blocks.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3444654&postcount=1

"it does not consume more than 8 GB of ram in total, is it normal?" Depending on the map/mission, yes.

It just tells you that dcs 2.5 consumes more ram and more resources especially in multiplayer, and it's obvious.

My question is, with an HDD there is something I can do to reduce the lag or I have to resort to a SSD?

I do not think if I had 32 GB of ram it changes something.

You think incorrectly.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

In its current state DCS runs well only on 32 GB and an SSD (also my own experience by running 32 GB), however It has been stated that optimizations will be made to reduce this large dependency on RAM. The requirement of 32 GB shouldnt exist unless you crank detail up and view range.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The requirement of 32 GB shouldnt exist unless you crank detail up and view range.

I'll just add "or use VR" to your statement which I agree with.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Just an observation here I use VR and DCS seems to use somewhere around 6 to maybe 8GB of RAM however generally I find I have about 12 plus GB allocated including DCS, Windows and Chrome and whatever else is loaded.

With 16GB of system RAM Windows would be paging data between RAM and system HDD/SSD it's just a function of Windows memory management. With 32GB of RAM I have virtually no paging of data.

So yes for me DCS uses a small amount of my system RAM and DCS itself doesn't need more than say 8GB however having 32GB improves the overall operation of Windows and hence anything else running on Windows.

Is an SSD required heck I wouldn't go back to a spinning HDD although the SSD would in general improve load times, one thing that might be an issue is reading texture files and rendering on the go. That is to say again in VR loading Caucasus map in SP loads about 8.5GB of data into the GPU RAM, loading the same map in MP uses pretty much all 11GB of GPU RAM. If during the game DCS needs to read more data from HDD/SSD well having an SSD will improve the operation times for that.

Is having an SSD or for that matter 32GB of RAM required for DCS? No! However it's a value judgement, is having faster performance worth it for you? :)

Oh and BTW having all the above SSD and 32GB etc isn't a magic formula for DCS but it helps. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I want to make a clarification.

I FOR NOW, I do not use VR, and I do not play multiplayer.

The single player games even where there are many units in the field flows in an almost fluid way except for a small slowdown especially at low altitude and during take-off or at the beginning of the mission.

It does this more when I hear HDD upload.

In spite of all, it takes about 8 gb of ram or a little more.

I also put the radius preload at high levels or at most.

In theory you can run on 16Gb and a HDD, but it isn't going to be optimal, and as of right now, there is a memory clearing issue which will make matters more critical for you. A fix is due for that within 2 weeks however.

I recommend you wait and see what difference that makes to you before spending any money.

Having said that, you will definitely benefit from more RAM, and loading times will be reduced significantly if you invest in SSDs.

In theory you can run on 16Gb and a HDD, but it isn't going to be optimal, and as of right now, there is a memory clearing issue which will make matters more critical for you. A fix is due for that within 2 weeks however.

I recommend you wait and see what difference that makes to you before spending any money.

Having said that, you will definitely benefit from more RAM, and loading times will be reduced significantly if you invest in SSDs.

Thanks a lot for the answer. So the Eagle is working for a more optimal memory management. That said if I buy an SSD I will have an improvement not only of loading times but also of the stability and fluidity of the game?

Hi there,

Sorry for hijacking a bit, but now that this question came up I couldn't help asking. I installed DCS 2.5 on my HDD by mistake. I have an SSD as well. Is there a way to move the entire stuff to the SSD without downloading and reinstalling everything?

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the answer. So the Eagle is working for a more optimal memory management. That said if I buy an SSD I will have an improvement not only of loading times but also of the stability and fluidity of the game?

Yes, Ssd's make a difference by eliminating the stuttering

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

You are maybe # 101 who is asking the "SSD" question.

Everyone who then got one got happy, maybe that tells you how much difference it makes.

If you do not know SSD's, here is a quick tip which ones are best and often considered by many gamers:

I would either pick a Samsung 850 or 860 series, or a Crucial MX500 ( not 300 ). Those are the fastest 2.5" around.

If you can usre NVMe, then get that, it's even faster for about the same money. Samsung makes the best NVMe modules as of now imho, 960 series.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You are maybe # 101 who is asking the "SSD" question.

Everyone who then got one got happy, maybe that tells you how much difference it makes.

If you do not know SSD's, here is a quick tip which ones are best and often considered by many gamers:

I would either pick a Samsung 850 or 860 series, or a Crucial MX500 ( not 300 ). Those are the fastest 2.5" around.

If you can usre NVMe, then get that, it's even faster for about the same money. Samsung makes the best NVMe modules as of now imho, 960 series.

I really intend to buy a crucial mx500 1 TB.

what do you think?

I really intend to buy a crucial mx500 1 TB.

what do you think?

Excellent choice mate !!! :thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It will speed up loading while flying. As others have said, you'll get your money's worth if you get an SSD.

it takes you a long way towards smooth flying.

no ssd = pain

Hi there,

Sorry for hijacking a bit, but now that this question came up I couldn't help asking. I installed DCS 2.5 on my HDD by mistake. I have an SSD as well. Is there a way to move the entire stuff to the SSD without downloading and reinstalling everything?

Thanks

Move it wherever you want, edit your menu/desktop shortcuts, edit the registry paths...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3364733&postcount=63

... and you're done.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hello everyone

I have DCS 2.5, pc with i5 7600k, 16 GB ram ddr4, gtx 1060 6 gb, HDD 2 tb, drivers updated.

If I use high graphics settings, I play the game row but it slows down a bit with stuttering, especially when the hard disk is flashing.

Do I have to switch to an SSD?

Even you others have the same problem, can I solve it in some way?

Besides, it does not consume more than 8 GB of ram in total, is it normal?

You have a good decent system, it's surprising that it didn't come with an SSD? When I built my system I was looking at the overall throughput effectiveness, MB, Ram, HD, CPU, GPU.

No mechanical hard drives in my system. OS and DCS sits on the M.2 NVMe.

Never experienced stutters, waiting to upgrade the GPU.

Grab an SSD, worth it for the piece of mind and speed of loading in seconds with all the HD textures.

It's also fairly easy, plugin SSD, Initialize SSD using disk management, copy and paste the DCS folder over to new SSD, redo the startup links.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

You have a good decent system, it's surprising that it didn't come with an SSD? When I built my system I was looking at the overall throughput effectiveness, MB, Ram, HD, CPU, GPU.

No mechanical hard drives in my system. OS and DCS sits on the M.2 NVMe.

Never experienced stutters, waiting to upgrade the GPU.

Grab an SSD, worth it for the piece of mind and speed of loading in seconds with all the HD textures.

It's also fairly easy, plugin SSD, Initialize SSD using disk management, copy and paste the DCS folder over to new SSD, redo the startup links.

Hi sorry when I buy SSD I would like to do a windows 10 pro installation from 0, totally clean. I will install DCS World and put my profiles and saves.

This is because I would like to rule out any system errors.

PS do you consider the crucial mx500 a good ssd?