Taming the spitfire with pedals

For the record: I fly the Spit like crap with pedals (got a new pair just by curiosity).

With twist grip - no problems whatsoever. I make ace landings and takeoffs, I mean people almost get angry at me when they watch my stuff :)

Bottom line: It's all about what you're used to.

This vid is with twist grip - and I can assure you I would never be able to pull this off with pedals (at my present sub-standard pedal skill level)

This vid is with twist grip - and I can assure you I would never be able to pull this off with pedals (at my present sub-standard pedal skill level)

That stall into the final approach was tidy :)

I love doing stall-turns in the spitfire, but my main problem is judging when I am properly vertical, it's easier IRL with perihperal vision to help with horizon cues and the feel of gravity pulling on your back. Same goes with trying to do upward rolls....

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• 3 weeks later...

I posted earlier that it impossible to taxy the Spit without rudder pedals. WRONG! I have two buttons allocated on the CH Fighterstick and with perseverance and practise, I can now put her within 6 inches of anywhere. Critical is the right throttle setting for taxying (too little power and she stops - too much and she is away) and the fact that you have to COUNTER each rudder/brake input with the OPPOSITE to keep her straight. That was the concept I could not get.

I struggled with the rudder on the spitfire for a while, I found using toe brakes very difficult, but after I made a custom brake lever on my hotas and stopped using toe brakes on my pedals things became easier.

what what what?!?! How did you do this? Plans, diagrams, schematics needededed :joystick:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Captian Orso...patience and perseverance is the only way. Caucasus or Normandy cold start. Get her rolling and throttle back a bit. Full rudder in the direction you wish to go (say right) and TAP the brakes. Once she starts to swing, full left rudder and tap again to straighten her. Just remember any input has to be corrected by its opposite EVERY time. Make sure your rudder button binding is to the full rudder authority input and NOT incremental. Check after start by going to aircraft view and swing that rudder.

Trust me...it will come.

Captian Orso...patience and perseverance is the only way. Caucasus or Normandy cold start. Get her rolling and throttle back a bit. Full rudder in the direction you wish to go (say right) and TAP the brakes. Once she starts to swing, full left rudder and tap again to straighten her. Just remember any input has to be corrected by its opposite EVERY time. Make sure your rudder button binding is to the full rudder authority input and NOT incremental. Check after start by going to aircraft view and swing that rudder.

Trust me...it will come.

:lol: I meant, how did you build a brake lever :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1