TFC/ED Newsletter - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #81
winz

Reputation power: 34
winz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to allwinz is a name known to all

Quote:
this way ed looses credibility because this way they can say anything they want and change their mind at any time about anything...
If an ED project hits a hard-block when developing some of the promised feature (this might have happened with the core concept in the beginning). Do you want ED to.
a)Spent ton of time on resolving the block, blowing dead-lines, and possibly making the project a failure money-wise.
b)or to sack/change the feature to implementable one?
Because you cannot foresee all the blocks you'll encounter when developing any product.

Even the richest of companies, i.e. Blizzard, state that nothing is promised and every feature is a subject to change.

Last edited by winz; 04-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.
winz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #82
Kuky
Veteran

Reputation power: 278
Kuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant future

They CAN say what they are working on and if they have issues etc... I don't see why they can't do this. They can also say "we plan on release F-XX" or what ever if the military contract allows for civilian sim... why not?

Anyway, I still think they could be more fortcoming about what they are working on... it's been 8 months since last A-10C version... a year is a long time not to have any news on progress or what's next (beside Nevada, Combined Armes etc)... I bet you everyone wants to know what is the Fighter they are working on... no matter how early they are in their progress.

Last edited by Kuky; 04-12-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: hm.. typos
Kuky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #83
sobek
Veteran

Reputation power: 186
sobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuky View Post
Of course we all know now they changed their route from modular to all DCS modules being standalone but as they have recently realised this is not sustainable any more because workload just to made modules compatible is very high with just 2 modules, and will be too much to do in same way in future... and only lately did they start work on actual Modular DCS... this is few years after... and it should have been done from the start.
They didn't change their route, but at that time other issues were more pressing and they decided that it would have to wait since there were only 2 modules out at that point. You think that a company that is in the software business for more than 10 years was not able to anticipate that they would have to move to modular? You cannot be serious.

ED lives in a world of incredibly limited resources and so far they have succeeded by being very flexible and having a good hand for prioritizing issues. You just can't always get what you want, that goes for ED as much as for us as customers.

Quote:
Lastly "everything is subject to change" is not such a good thing to say because that actually means anything ED say's doesn't have to be true or will happen... this way ed looses credibility because this way they can say anything they want and change their mind at any time about anything... it means you can't take their word for granted.
Sorry Kuky, but welcome to the real world. There are no guarantees for anything. The pea counters have driven ED to actually adding "we hope to, but no promises" after every sentence, what do you expect more? This has already crossed the line of ridiculousness.

I know that we live in a time of unprecedented stability, but taking it for granted and applying it to a market that does not obey said stability and always burning ED for when they adjust to changing circumstances, well, i don't wish for you to be in their spot.

It would be like me hating on Porsche if they moved to fuel economic cars in a world were i can neither afford their high performance line nor the gas for it.

Last edited by sobek; 04-12-2012 at 01:59 PM.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #84
GGTharos
Veteran

Reputation power: 305
GGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant future

Yes, they CAN, but they don't want to. There are a number of reasons for this, not all of which might make sense to someone who isn't in that particular business, in that particular part of the world, in the particular set of circumstances that ED finds itself in.

Quote:
They CAN say what they are working on and if they have issues etc... I don't see why they can't do this. They can also say "we plan on release F-XX" or what ever if the military contract allows for civilian sim... why not?

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #85
Kuky
Veteran

Kuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant futureKuky has a brilliant future

I am not burning ED, I am aware they have limitations like any business but I also think they shouldn't always be defended either. It's not always those who criticize ED that are wrong and its human to make mistake and you need to be a big man to accept and acknowldege when you make a mistake.

I hope I do live in real world most of the time, I don't know... you can't blame me for wanting to know what they are working on... I still think they could simply just say it.

I guess maybe it is better not to say anything untill they are sure 100% it's about to be completed and released, the feeling of thinking somehting will be out and then it never happens is not good (we all know this), but you see Nevada terrain was announced long time ago already and it was still very early so what's the difference between ED being OK to announce this and P-51, FC3, Combines Armes etc but not what the Jet fighter is? Seomething being early in stage can still be announced (as it has been done) so I only think reason they are not saying what Jet fighter is, is because they are working on one for the military market, and are not sure if they can release it as civilian sim.... or they are workin on more than one aircraft and don't know which one will be done first... either way... I don't understand what's the big secret about.

EDIT: never mind... just keep on waiting...

PS: how's my new sig?

Last edited by Kuky; 04-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Kuky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #86
sobek
Veteran

Reputation power: 186
sobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud ofsobek has much to be proud of

Quote:
but you see Nevada terrain was announced long time ago already and it was still very early so what's the difference between ED being OK to announce this and P-51, FC3, Combines Armes etc but not what the Jet fighter is?
Because when Nevada was announced, it was supposed to be shipped with the release of A-10. Then it was decided to build it inside the new engine that was never going to make the release of DCSW, that's why you have known about it for so long.

Edit: And thx. btw. for making another point why not to release info early.

Last edited by sobek; 04-12-2012 at 02:29 PM.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #87
GGTharos
Veteran

Reputation power: 305
GGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant futureGGTharos has a brilliant future

Quote:
I am not burning ED, I am aware they have limitations like any business but I also think they shouldn't always be defended either. It's not always those who criticize ED that are wrong and its human to make mistake and you need to be a big man to accept and acknowldege when you make a mistake.
But it isn't necessarily a mistake either. eg. take the Nevada thing - that was a decision based on new ... resources, I guess, for lack of a better word. It was no mistake, at least IMHO.

Quote:
I hope I do live in real world most of the time, I don't know... you can't blame me for wanting to know what they are working on... I still think they could simply just say it.
No, I sure can't blame you for that. On the other hand it's also unfair to say that ED is doing something wrong by not talking.

Quote:
so I only think reason they are not saying what Jet fighter is, is because they are working on one for the military market, and are not sure if they can release it as civilian sim.... or they are workin on more than one aircraft and don't know which one will be done first... either way... I don't understand what's the big secret about.
Those are valid guesses. There are other possibilities as well. As for secrecy making sense - it only has to make sense to those keeping secrects, no?

Quote:
PS: how's my new sig?
Every time I see that bug I check if there's something crawling on my screen for real ... :/

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #88
Cali
Veteran

Reputation power: 85
Cali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to beholdCali is a splendid one to behold

Kuky, don't waste your breath, just fly DCS,FC2...whatever and don't count on anythng being released...until it IS released! That way you won't get disappointed or mad. Hope into BMS or we could play some Arma again.

Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #89
Nate--IRL--
Veteran

Reputation power: 181
Nate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud ofNate--IRL-- has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali View Post
Kuky, don't waste your breath, just fly DCS,FC2...whatever and don't count on anythng being released...until it IS released! That way you won't get disappointed or mad.
That is a sensible viewpoint.

Nate
Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #90
Kuky
Veteran

No problem here... I am mostly just working a lot lately anyway and I am not even using my gaming PC for days in row... FC2 doesn't hold me any more... BMS I just can't get into again also, maybe I'm just too tied up into work... at least I can earn extra money by doing OT and one lovely day that jet will come out of that hangar and all will be good again.