Shkval targeting system slewing

Fri13

One thing that I have always wondered, but never really found out.... Is that what kind input Skhval has for it in real life?

Meaning is it in KA-50 and SU-25T controlled with a 4-way or 8-way hat, or is it controlled with a mini-joystick?

I find it difficult to try to get a lock on moving target with a 4-way hat when the target moves diagonally instead just horizontally or vertically. This makes it very difficult to get lock on helicopter, ground vehicle or even less for an aircraft.

But then again I understand "moving target" mode then as it keeps Shkval gate moving general direction of the target once started and trying to get lock, but never really got it how it should work, as I thought that "moving target" targeting mode was more for tracking target for cannon/rocket etc firing solution, instead having anything to do Skhval gate control.

And then if your aircraft is slightly in roll angle, the horizontal control with 4-way hat moves the gate related to aircraft roll angle, instead ground angle (not ground stabilized even when you can get it locked on ground position).

If it is a mini-joystick, then I understand it is easy as you can move gate easily to any direction, but then again it feels "unrealistic".

So is the Skhval targeting hat a 4- or 8-way or mini-joystick in Su-25T or KA-50?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Slew controller is proportional input, moving faster or slower based on how far the switch is displaced. I don't think there is any recentering button. So a limited 4 or 8-way hat switch will be more difficult to use than a 2-axis switch.

I'm sure the Su-25's Shkval is also a 2-axis joystick-type input.

Moving target directs the Vikhr (via the laser pattern) or cannon ahead based on the LOS rate of the Shkval track. The Shkval movement is the input and the laser or cannon aiming is the output. The optical tracker should work the same with or without the moving target engaged.

I thought that the "Center the gate" wasn't really a real thing but would have required more likely a Shkval Reset or optical system On/Off like when auto-caging to stored target via ABRIS.

But good to know it should be a mini-stick to operate it. It has just felt little difficult always to get the speed right with a mini-stick as it doesn't seem to be limited by speed or at least not simulated that there would be maximum speed it can be moved with that mini-stick.

As I consider it fairly important critical feature to not stress about moving gate fast enough or slow enough depending targeting situation when you wear gloves and you are in high-stress situation, and then when you want to move aiming at long distances quickly you would use the HMS for that, and then when searching targets you would prefer to use the auto-scan feature (double-press uncage to start it) and its fastest rate would be the fastest rate you could anyways to move it (or maybe even that same speed knob would be used for the cyclic mini-stick speed?

This because without any limitations, one needs to always adjust the curves etc to get it behave well enough, otherwise it jumps from one end to another less than a half a second.

After trying the BS2 shkval with both my 4-way hat and my ministick (I own a T16000M HOTAS), the 4-way gave me much better results. But that's because of the low quality of the mini-stick (would like to hear if there's any HOTAS with good quality mini-stick out there) and because ED programmed a very welcome acceleration for the 4-way hat that makes it move faster if you hold it long enough, but slow if you release it quickly. The low quality mini-stick can't even come close to that precision, even after much adjustments to sensitivity, deadzone, curve, etc.

Weirdly, the 8-way hat doesn't work very well, because the diagonals aren't accepted...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

As far as I know the "center Shkval" is a fictional function just like reset trim and respawn and toggle labels.

Personally I use a 4-way hat even though I have a ministick available. Being smooth even with Warthog cursor is difficult and I like it on the cyclic hand as it is in the real helicopter. I have set it to be controlled by the big joystick axes for testing and it is very smooth but of course is not practical.

Diagonal motion with hat switch depends on your controller. It will move diagonally if two buttons are pressed at the same time. If your diagonal hat ouputs two buttons when diagonally pressed it works fine. If your diagonal hat outputs a separate button then it won't.

There are two fixes for this: Use joystick programming software so diagonal press instead outputs the nieghboring vertical/lateral buttons at the same time.

Two, bind the 8 outputs (A B C D E F G H) to the 4 directions like this:

Up H A B

Right B C D

Down D E F

Left F G H

Of course this is impossible in the GUI but I think it can be done with text editing. The lines in DCS will have red highlights because it thinks multi-binding is a problem.

Diagonal motion with hat switch depends on your controller. It will move diagonally if two buttons are pressed at the same time. If your diagonal hat ouputs two buttons when diagonally pressed it works fine. If your diagonal hat outputs a separate button then it won't.

There are two fixes for this: Use joystick programming software so diagonal press instead outputs the nieghboring vertical/lateral buttons at the same time.

Two, bind the 8 outputs (A B C D E F G H) to the 4 directions like this:

Up H A B

Right B C D

Down D E F

Left F G H

Of course this is impossible in the GUI but I think it can be done with text editing. The lines in DCS will have red highlights because it thinks multi-binding is a problem.

Yes, what I do is use TARGET to generate the 'Thrustmaster Combined' and set the throttle's POV hat as the 'Trustmaster Combined' POV hat and set the stick's POV hat as 4 normal buttons. This way I can use the stick's POV hat as the shkval slew, because I also like to have it on the stick, like the real chopper.

The stick on the T16000M only has one hat and it's a 8-way hat... Would be nice if ED made the shkval work normally with 8-way hats, would save you from having to use profiling software...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

A while ago, I tried once to modify commands via text editing, but never succeeded to implement the SU25's IT251 TV Analog axis to the Ka50 Shkval system on the X52 Pro.

I even tried to reach a dev without success.

but IIRC, the anaolg axis on SU25 was in fact VERY hard to use, much more than the regular 4 axis Shkval.

But yes, soft diagonal targets are nearly impossible to lock due to this deceleration each time you change slewing direction.

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

After trying the BS2 shkval with both my 4-way hat and my ministick (I own a T16000M HOTAS), the 4-way gave me much better results. But that's because of the low quality of the mini-stick (would like to hear if there's any HOTAS with good quality mini-stick out there) and because ED programmed a very welcome acceleration for the 4-way hat that makes it move faster if you hold it long enough, but slow if you release it quickly. The low quality mini-stick can't even come close to that precision, even after much adjustments to sensitivity, deadzone, curve, etc.

Weirdly, the 8-way hat doesn't work very well, because the diagonals aren't accepted...

That is as well something I found interesting, that acceleration feature. That was more as a symbol for either a unrealistic control for 4/8-way hats, or then reality where the real control is done with a 4/8-way hat (as there is as well a non-horizontal stabilization in the control but as aircraft attitude control (flying 15 degree bank to left means moving gate to left is 15 degree angle to left instead horizontal) and it makes it odd as you need to try to compensate all the time for your attitude the targeting, just like the radar would never be stabilized to horizon but would follow your aircraft angle (what would be nice time to time).

As far as I know the "center Shkval" is a fictional function just like reset trim and respawn and toggle labels.

Well, "respawn" and "toggle labels" are now a purely game mechanics, while "reset trim" and "center Shkval" I can see as limitations for simulation or easiness for new comers.

Yet, it would be nice to have a label in them "not realistic" when hovering so people would know that they are stepping to another direction.

Personally I use a 4-way hat even though I have a ministick available. Being smooth even with Warthog cursor is difficult and I like it on the cyclic hand as it is in the real helicopter. I have set it to be controlled by the big joystick axes for testing and it is very smooth but of course is not practical.

Bind it to the mouse and you can see how unrealistic it is. You can in no time to just point it anywhere and track anything without lock and be like a deadly sniper without any problems.

Diagonal motion with hat switch depends on your controller. It will move diagonally if two buttons are pressed at the same time. If your diagonal hat ouputs two buttons when diagonally pressed it works fine. If your diagonal hat outputs a separate button then it won't..

Well, I think many of those are more unrealistic as one can consider the HOTAS systems in real things to be always been used with gloves at hands, in high G maneuvers, in high stress situations etc, where you can't be limited by the accidental wrong input.

Why I still consider that a mini-stick is little odd as it is unlimited by speed and you can easily just move target gate (or any radar scope cursor etc) without limitations. That is something I think should be simulated, if the Shkval targeting camera can't move X+ degree in specific axis in second, then it should be limited to what it can. It is after all same thing as radar sweep speed, radar track generation lag, aircraft control surface movement speeds or even gear motion speed.

Why I could see that why Skhval targeting system didn't get accepted in Su-25T as it was too difficult to use (non-horizontal stabilization) or too limited (two axis only instead ministick ie).

A while ago, I tried once to modify commands via text editing, but never succeeded to implement the SU25's IT251 TV Analog axis to the Ka50 Shkval system on the X52 Pro.

I even tried to reach a dev without success.

You probably already know this, but in the Ka-50 controls setup, Axis Controls tab, there is Absolute Shkval Horizontal and Vertical Slew assignments, you can assign them to analog axes (mini-stick, for example).

but IIRC, the anaolg axis on SU25 was in fact VERY hard to use, much more than the regular 4 axis Shkval.

But I guess that's only because of bad quality mini-sticks (at least in my case it is). Do good quality mini sticks exist?

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

I'm not sure about the X52 but with the X65F there's a registry edit that can be used to turn one of the other axes (I use the twist) into the two axes needed for the thumb stick. Works excellently :).

Here's the contents...

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes\0]

@="X"

"Attributes"=hex:01,81,00,00,01,00,30,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes\1]

@="Y"

"Attributes"=hex:01,81,00,00,01,00,31,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes\2]

@="Throttle 1"

"Attributes"=hex:01,81,00,00,01,00,32,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes\3]

@="Rotary 1"

"Attributes"=hex:01,81,00,00,05,00,24,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes\4]

@="Rotary 2"

"Attributes"=hex:01,81,00,00,05,00,26,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes\5]

@="Rudder"

"Attributes"=hex:01,81,00,00,01,00,36,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes\6]

@="Throttle 2"

"Attributes"=hex:01,81,00,00,01,00,34,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes\7]

@="ExtraAxis"

"Attributes"=hex:01,81,00,00,01,00,33,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes\8]

@="InvisibleAxis"

"Attributes"=hex:01,81,00,00,01,00,35,00

I think the important parts are the VID_XXXX&PID_XXXX and whether or not you start with 8 axes or not. Your "VID" string will likely be different (I think it's like a hardware identifier) and if you don't have 8 axes by default then I'd be VERY wary about using this.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Unfortunately I don't recall where I found this but it has a different file to use depending on which axis you want to remove to form the thumb stick axes.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

You probably already know this, but in the Ka-50 controls setup, Axis Controls tab, there is Absolute Shkval Horizontal and Vertical Slew assignments, you can assign them to analog axes (mini-stick, for example).

But I guess that's only because of bad quality mini-sticks (at least in my case it is). Do good quality mini sticks exist?

Yeah you are right. I forgot i could assign axis to shkval. BUT I also remember that, at this time, the mini stick was not recognized as an axis, but a mouse. And mouse can't be assigned to Shkval in Ka50, unlike the Su-25T

Things has changed? Should I get my X52 out of the box?

I never looked in registry though. Maybe a lead.

EDIT :

There is my original post, which has been transferred to the concerned dev, but never had a answer.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1907053

Edited by Erforce

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BUT I also remember that, at this time, the mini stick was not recognized as an axis, but a mouse. And mouse can't be assigned to Shkval in Ka50, unlike the Su-25T

Things has changed? Should I get my X52 out of the box?

Hmm... that's weird, I have a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle and its mini-stick is recognized by DCS as axes, not mouse...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Well I finally managed to reassign the mouse as a rotary.

Rotaries 1 & 2 will no longer function, but RX and RY in DCS will work with the mini-mouse.

after some tries, with lowered sensibility, it's not as good as i believed, because it works almost like keys, and the scrolling stops whenever you change axes.

I re-tried the SU25T with the original mini-mouse axes, and, IMHO it's not that easy, but easier than reassigned axis in BS.

Too bad i can't do this with Black Shark. :cry:

The registry attached in here will work for any X52 Pro with PID 0762 (and old Madcatz driver, as AFAIK Logitech doesn't support this model (but PID-075c))

(Just remove the Axes folder from the registry to reset this behavior)

x52_ministickFIX_noROTARIES-2.zip

Edited by Erforce