VR Performance

So, first mission --- familiarization flight --- I start off with 22 FPS or worse in VR. I can post my various specs and settings and everything if it will help, but I am getting typically at least 45 in other scenarios. I do not think it is a bug or an issue with the campaign per se, because I am getting the same performance drop during the Instant Action (Nevada) Take Off mission. Whereas in other missions (instant action or otherwise), I typically get at least 45 or more.

Is any else having this issue?

I have an Oculus Rift, i7-4790K at 4.5Mhz, Nvidia 980 Ti, 16GB RAM. PD at dropped to 1.0 or even 0.5 does not improve things. Shadows etc. all off.

Edited by Bearfoot

ya , it depends on the cloud settings. Cloud is the main FPS eater in VR now . Run the same mission but with the lowest cloud settings and you will see the difference.

So that was my thought, as well. But when I open the mission in the mission editor, I see that the cloud density is 0. So, that's already the lowest setting, right, unless I am missing something?

• 4 weeks later...

Could I second this also - is there any way to disable the clouds entirely for VR use - particularly in these campaigns?

Even any way to just delete the cloud textures completely from DCS 2.0 would be awesome!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

Did anyone have a solution for this? I would also like to be able to completely disable clouds until things improve on FPS in Normandy

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased both BFM and ACM campaigns.

I'm here for the same purpose.

Mission 2 (dogfight with F5s), i can't even turn on the jet, the FPS is so low i don't even see my cursor and can't click anything.

I haven't found a way around this. First guess; there is so much stuff going on with AIs that it's draining a lot of power out of the engine.

Would there be a way to remove all unnecessary traffic by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/konotani

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Asus PG278Q Rog Swift 27-INCH G-SYNC

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals (used as Rudders)

Thrustmaster T300 Arcantera Wheel

Obutto R3volution rig

FPS has been an issue for many folks with the NTTR map and ED is working to improve it.

There are numerous threads regarding changing graphics settings, installing better graphics cards and cpus, etc.

In VR your PD setting makes a big difference and the higher you set it the worse the FPS gets again depending on your hardware.

We didn't see the issue during development so will retest and see if it is related to something more recent.

If we can improve the performance we will provide an update.

Just purchased both BFM and ACM campaigns.

I'm here for the same purpose.

Mission 2 (dogfight with F5s), i can't even turn on the jet, the FPS is so low i don't even see my cursor and can't click anything.

I haven't found a way around this. First guess; there is so much stuff going on with AIs that it's draining a lot of power out of the engine.

Would there be a way to remove all unnecessary traffic by any chance?

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

FPS has been an issue for many folks with the NTTR map and ED is working to improve it.

There are numerous threads regarding changing graphics settings, installing better graphics cards and cpus, etc.

In VR your PD setting makes a big difference and the higher you set it the worse the FPS gets again depending on your hardware.

We didn't see the issue during development so will retest and see if it is related to something more recent.

If we can improve the performance we will provide an update.

Hey Sabre, Thanks for your reply!

I am very confident with my computer hardware and have had no issues as of yet. DCS being the most demanding game i've ever run on my system.

That being said, i did a test concerning Pixel Density and my results counter your suggestion.

Density is a factor yes, but not that much for a 1080.

I made a video here, using Fraps' FPS display to monitor. Shadowplay reflected the same data while i was recording.

Video example uploaded here:

${1}

The biggest different between PD 2.0 and 1.0 is the fact that i can see my mouse cursor, which, granted, helps a lot to start the mission. Unfortunately, the FPS is the same in both tests.

My guess goes back to AI; too much load, too many planes and activities happening at the same time.

Edited by Thisdale

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Obutto R3volution rig

Hey Sabre, Thanks for your reply!

I am very confident with my computer hardware and have had no issues as of yet.

My guess goes back to AI; too much load, too many planes and activities happening at the same time.

I concur.

Pretty sure that:

(a) it's a CPU bottleneck; due to

(b) the large amount of the AI units

I've spent a long time fiddling with every setting, running on an overclocked 1080TI OC and have had up to 32GB RAM. These missions remain an FPS killer like no other I've tried. There's just a lot happening everywhere and in the background, and while this is absolutely great for immersion, this is what tanks the FPS. I do not see a solution other than releasing a "lite" version stripped off all the non-essential non-mission "pure theatre/drama" stuff to allow this campaign to be playable. Or wait and hope that the next gen CPU's are both affordable and have enough muscle to do the job.

I concur.

Pretty sure that:

(a) it's a CPU bottleneck; due to

(b) the large amount of the AI units

Agreed. Which also explains why on loaded multiplayer servers we don't get that dive in FPS (not as much anyways).

I've noticed that pretty much all the planes on the tarmac of the mission(s) are active and not static objects. That would probably help as well.

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Obutto R3volution rig

My FPS sits at between 22-25 on the ground at Nellis. If I’m looking east, it comes up to 45, and as soon as I’m up past 5000’ it holds steady at 45, and by the time I make the turn north for the Nellis tacan 285 for 73 I’m sitting at 90 and it doesn’t drop.

For me I think it’s the huge amount of AI on the ramp at Nellis, but I don’t mind the poor frames while looking at all the jets during startup and taxi.

i7 6700k @ 4.7

980Ti @ 1500mhz

We did some testing last week and found that the mouse cursor disappeared when the FPS was less than 10 on our test system (i7, 16gb RAM, GTX970).

It was reliably displayed with any FPS above that.

Playing with the graphics settings / PD values we could get playable frames which improved once you were out of the Las Vegas area.

We are surprised the AI units would have such an impact as the majority of the ones at Nellis are inactive (they are part of a template we created for future missions). We will do what we can to improve the performance while keeping the immersive eye candy.

This user found a workaround for the missing cursor and reported it in this thread.

Jabbers from the ED Testers team posted this excellent video on how he has adjusted his VR settings to get good framerates. Definitely worth a look if you haven't tried adjusting your settings.

Will post an update when we have more to say.

Thank you for the reply.

We did some testing last week and found that the mouse cursor disappeared when the FPS was less than 10 on our test system (i7, 16gb RAM, GTX970).

It was reliably displayed with any FPS above that.

Playing with the graphics settings / PD values we could get playable frames which improved once you were out of the Las Vegas area.

We are surprised the AI units would have such an impact as the majority of the ones at Nellis are inactive (they are part of a template we created for future missions). We will do what we can to improve the performance while keeping the immersive eye candy.

This user found a workaround for the missing cursor and reported it in this thread.

Jabbers from the ED Testers team posted this excellent video on how he has adjusted his VR settings to get good framerates. Definitely worth a look if you haven't tried adjusting your settings.

Will post an update when we have more to say.

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Obutto R3volution rig

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I suffer from low FPS too. It's definitely a CPU bottleneck, no amount of changes to graphics or VR settings yields any improvement.

It's fine once you're airborne but getting there from cold start is brutal at 22fps. I love the F-5E and I'm keen to get stuck into this campaign but I just can't push through the brain melting slide show at the start of every mission.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

We are doing some tests to see if we can improve the VR performance at Nellis for these missions.

So far it appears it may be the direction the aircraft are facing at start-up (looking at Vegas) which seems to be the problem.

We really want the Aggressor aircraft to take off from the real Aggressor parking area so we will keep testing to see what can be done.

We are doing some tests to see if we can improve the VR performance at Nellis for these missions.

So far it appears it may be the direction the aircraft are facing at start-up (looking at Vegas) which seems to be the problem.

We really want the Aggressor aircraft to take off from the real Aggressor parking area so we will keep testing to see what can be done.

Please replace the mean, annoying instructor voice talent with someone a bit nicer and more supportive! ;) Ive stopped flying these mission cause that dude is a real drag to fly with.

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

Thank you for continuing to work this issue. I've been having a blast training up on the F-5E, many hours mastering the systems so I could dive into the BFM and AFM campaigns. I've purchased both.

However, I just tried flying the FAM hop (mission #2) and I came here because I have the same issue. The FPS are far lower here than any other DCS mission. I'm running a new 8700K CPU with a 1070 GTX card. Yes, I'm looking at updating to an 1080ti in the future, but the frame rates shudder really makes the experience unpleasant, even with PD turned down to 1.2 and most other settings off. I'm flying over NTTR at Tonopah in my own missions with smooth frames.

Will hold off on proceeding in the campaign for now in the hopes there can be some further optimizations in an update. Appreciate your continued attention to this issue.