Migrating Steam install to new PC

Beirut

Hello,

I'm about to build a new PC and, obviously, want to put (Steam) DCS on it. Is it as simple as uninstalling on the old Win7 machine and reinstalling on the new Win10?

Or:

I have DCS on it's own SSD. Can I just install that SSD into the new machine and it will be recognized?

All parts and the OS are/will be new except for the GPU.

Thank you.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

TL;DR:

Both options are possible.

Detail:

I'm about to build a new PC and, obviously, want to put (Steam) DCS on it. Is it as simple as uninstalling on the old Win7 machine and reinstalling on the new Win10?

New Install

This is the most straight forward way but requires downloading DCS a 2nd time.

You'll also want to transfer your saved logbook, campaign progress and input configuration by copying the "Saved Games\DCS" folder and contents to your new PC.

Although no longer used, you can save any "StarForce" activations by running protect.exe to deactivate any modules that used to use "StarForce" i.e. uh1_protect.exe

AFAIK activations are only of significance if you think you might run a legacy version of DCS at a later date i.e. 1.2.16, 1.5.6, etc.

I have DCS on it's own SSD. Can I just install that SSD into the new machine and it will be recognized?

Yes, that is what I did.

Move an SSD with an existing Steam Library folder.

Do NOT uninstall Steam on your old PC as this will remove your games unless you first move/backup your "steamapps" folder(s).

It's easiest if you move your "Steam Library" folder/SSD to the new PC and then add the folder to Steam's download locations.

• Steam > Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders

LSZbyGr.png

Note: you can only have one Steam Library Folder on each drive.

Copy a single Steam game to new PC

To move/copy a single game, steam requires the "appmanifest" file (lists version, contents, etc.) and the relevant game folder.

A typical DCS World install might look like

Steam's AppID for DCS World is 223750

• F:\Steam Library SSD\steamapps\appmanifest_223750.acf

• F:\Steam Library SSD\steamapps\common\DCSWorld

It's important to keep the "steamapps" folder structure but the library folder itself can be named anything.

There are similar files in "steamapps\workshop" but the steam workshop is not applicable to DCS.

Note: without the appmanifest file, Steam doesn't know the game is installed, so will redownload the contents.

Edited by Ramsay
Add image

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080