Is my INS updating?

Zadren

When I'm flying the training mission that includes updating the INS, I cannot get the waypoint cross on the HUD to reposition over the waypoint in radar update mode.

VAL is lighting up on the PCN, and the windows are providing the error, but pressing VAL to accept the update does not shift the cross.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help. :helpsmilie:

You can do it an unlimited number of times but you won't see a change until a difference between INS position and true position develops again (~1h). You can introduce a difference manually by typing in a (wrong) INS position and repeating the update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, thanks for the replies.

This issue, if it is indeed an issue and not just me, is something I've only seen with a radar update. I'm still on the learning curve and it seems that radar update would be much more accurate.

I tested it out, by plotting a course on NTTR, with my waypoints over landmarks. I was specifically using Hoover Dam as a test waypoint, and flew out of Nellis on a short route (was trying to replicate a Youtube tutorial.) What I found was that on approaching the WP, the cross was not over the dam, where I had plotted it. The PCN displays a correction when I perform a radar update with the reticle directly on the dam, but the WP cross just doesn't move at all.

Are these 'smaller' corrections not possible, for accurate bombing etc?

Thanks again.

Last I checked the radar offset and the overfly update were indistinguishable same requirement, same result. The numbers in the offset window at capture of data are absolutely meaningless. When the VAL button is pressed the INS position is made equal to the true value. Nothing about the position or manner of the update has any input into the process. The INS pulls the truth out of thin air.

Once the error between assumed and actual INS position is removed then the cross is displayed in its position. If that cross position isn't over your desired landmark then your waypoint numbers are simply wrong.

In reality the accuracy of the planned numbers is irrelevant as when you perform the update the airplane believes you and applies whatever update shift the update process generates. Thus you can lie to the airplane and the airplane will believe it. Your ability to get the cross anywhere you like is limited only by the resolution of the stored values which I assume is much finer than any other practical limitation of bombing.

The only way you can approach the mechanics of a real INS update currently in DCS is to punch in the numbers manually for assumed position into the keypad. In this way the INS assumed position will take on the values entered which may or may not be equal to the true position. This is of course impractical at a few hundred knots. Since you are completely free to input whatever numbers you like into the keypad the resulting cross position can be anywhere.

For example if you flew over a landmark and noticed the waypoint was 0.1' east and 0.2' north you could fly exactly north-south while you typed in a new longitude value 0.1' more east than the current value. Repeat with 0.2' more northerly latitude than displayed while flying east-west. When you returned to the landmark the waypoint should be displayed over it.

So you think the Mirage is going to stand as it is now forever?

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

• 3 months later...

I am having this exact issue. No INS update (at least vno crosshair movement) in both overflight or radar mode.

Pretty sure I did everything correctly (over and over again).

Is this still in the fix waiting list?

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

Pause the game with the current 00 L/L shown on the PCN display. Check these numbers with the actual position shown on info bar on external view (F2).

If they do not match then update will make them match. If they match already then update will have no change.

• 2 years later...

I'm guessing this is still a bug.

Attempting the radar INS update sets the crosshair to true location instead of where I pointed it at, which was nowhere near the actual landmark.

GIGABYTE 78LMT

AMD FX-8350

MSI ARMOR 1060 GTX 3GB

32 GB RAM DDR3 1600

SSD 120GB OS - DCS Installed

SSD 240GB

HDD 1TB

1080p @ 60hz

Attempting the radar INS update sets the crosshair to true location instead of where I pointed it at, which was nowhere near the actual landmark.

INS update in the M-2000C is more a procedure "trainer", than a simulation as REC/VAL lamps illuminate, etc. and reset position drift to zero but you can't introduce position error or move the waypoint's apparent position (unless the aircraft already had drift error).

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080