Wow! those CBU-97's are powerful!

sirrah

Only recently discovered the true power of the CBU-97 cluster bombs. They are really extremely mighty against armor :surprise:

On more than one occasion I was able to kill multiple armored units with only one bomb and not necessarily because of my skills :smilewink:

I did however notice that by default they seem to have quite a long activation timer, which makes attacking moving targets a bit more difficult. Is there some trick to using the CBU-97 against moving targets, other than just dropping it in front of them and hope they drive into it?

Or could the timer be set differently? (maybe later in EA?)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

You could change the seperation altitude of the bomblets (HOF or something like that) , but a certain delay will still be there since the bomblets glide down with parachutes.

Lowering the seperation height will most likely result in less delay but also less area in which the bombs will be deadly.

Raising that height will probably result in more delay but also a bigger dispersion radius.

Other than that, you could measure the time it takes for the bomb from seperation until effect and then guess/calculate the offset infront of the vehicles.

You could change the seperation altitude of the bomblets (HOF or something like that) , but a certain delay will still be there since the bomblets glide down with parachutes.

Lowering the seperation height will most likely result in less delay but also less area in which the bombs will be deadly.

Raising that height will probably result in more delay but also a bigger dispersion radius.

Other than that, you could measure the time it takes for the bomb from seperation until effect and then guess/calculate the offset infront of the vehicles.

Oh, I presumed that I wasn't able to change burst height, as I was told it is not possible yet for the CBU-87 either

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

DCS A-10C folks:

"First Time?"

:megalol:

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

DCS A-10C folks:

"First Time?"

:megalol:

Yeah, I thought the same. A-10C pilots in DCS are annihilating enemy armor formations with CBU-97s for the

:D

The A-10C can even use the CBU-105, which is the JDAM variant of the CBU-97, which is not yet available for the DCS F-16.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I've owned the A-10C module since its release and did put a lot of time into it but, I guess due to time restrictions (especially at that time), I never came to fully learning all its weapons and their capabilities :)

System specs:

I've owned the A-10C module since its release and did put a lot of time into it but, I guess due to time restrictions (especially at that time), I never came to fully learning all its weapons and their capabilities :)

Seems like you missed its most powerful weapon then ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

You can't change the HOF for them yet in the F-16. Once we can, you can experiment around to find the optimum HOF to allow the submunitions to completely separate from the bomb while minimizing their time under chute. This will make hitting moving targets much easier.

From my experience using them on the A-10C and F-16 in DCS, the main thing that will change the spread is actually the angle the bomb is coming in at when the submunitions are deployed.

If the bomb is vertical when they deploy, the submunitions will be more or less on top of eachother in a vertical string. However if the bomb is still horizontal, the spread will be in long horizontal string.

Either way the munitions get thrown out in a pretty large area. The thing to watch out for is setting to low of a HOF for the altitude/airspeed/dive angle you are dropping from. This can cause the submunitions to not have enough time to deploy.

It is a ton of fun to watch 10 of them come off my F16 though :D

Edited by NeMoGas

Seems like you missed its most powerful weapon then ;)

If I remember correctly I did try them in the A-10C on several occasions, but I always thought I was doing something wrong because I never saw the clusters explode :P

Now I know there's a rather large delay... :doh:

I remember wondering what on earth I was doing wrong and why my clusters didn't explode. Checked and double checked the weapon setup procedures.. and in the end just fit a few MK-20 Rockeyes under my wings :lol:

System specs:

Found out about 97s after a session of "now I will try everything this A-10 has".

Man, those things melt armored asses as butter...

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

- "It's better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven"

Modules: A-4E-C Skyhawk, A-10C II Tank Killer, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B Harrier, F-14B Tomcat, F-15C Eagle, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet, MIG-21 Fishbed, MIG-29, SU-27, SU-33

Maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier

Rig: i7 4790 / Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix / 16GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz / 256 GB SSD / Windows 10

Setup: ThrustMaster TWCS Throttle, Titanwolf "Vulture" Stick, DelanClip PRO, Home-made universal Cockpit panel

One of my favorite weapons. I really wished the Hornet was capable of carrying them.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

One of my favorite weapons. I really wished the Hornet was capable of carrying them.

The Navy doesn't like them in general for some reason and is not using them on any plattform. Hence it's an Air Force only weapon.

Tornado3 small.jpg