VR controls for RIO seat

RoyMi6

Super excited for the F14, like everyone in this forum, but I was just thinking this morning of how usable the RIO cockpit is going to be with VR controllers.

I'd imagine that all the buttons and switches are going to be as usable as any other plane, but specifically I was thinking it would be cool (as I imagine it's not going to be possible) to use the HCU by "grabbing" it with the VR controller, VTOL VR style.

I think it's unlikely that anyone playing DCS isn't going to have access to a joystick but I just thought it would be a really nice a addition.

I hope at the very least I'm able to bind the HCU to the Rift controllers mini joystick because I can't easily access my joystick without a lot of shuffling things around and I do hope to play quite a bit of COOP as a RIO :joystick:

Super excited for the F14, like everyone in this forum, but I was just thinking this morning of how usable the RIO cockpit is going to be with VR controllers.

I'd imagine that all the buttons and switches are going to be as usable as any other plane, but specifically I was thinking it would be cool (as I imagine it's not going to be possible) to use the HCU by "grabbing" it with the VR controller, VTOL VR style.

I think it's unlikely that anyone playing DCS isn't going to have access to a joystick but I just thought it would be a really nice a addition.

I hope at the very least I'm able to bind the HCU to the Rift controllers mini joystick because I can't easily access my joystick without a lot of shuffling things around and I do hope to play quite a bit of COOP as a RIO :joystick:

Not having a 2 stage trigger for the HCU seems less than ideal (if you have the option)

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I would puke in 2 seconds if I was in the backseat with VR. When I am controlling the aircraft at least my brain can prepare for the motion when I move the stick.

I guess I’d have to spend the flight head-down.

I would puke in 2 seconds if I was in the backseat with VR. When I am controlling the aircraft at least my brain can prepare for the motion when I move the stick.

Except part of the RIOs job is to help spot targets...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not having a 2 stage trigger for the HCU seems less than ideal (if you have the option)

Oculus Touch can have a two stage trigger. As the trigger, grip and all other buttons and sticks are touch sensitive as clickable.

So first stage is that you lay your finger on the trigger, the second stage is that you pull the trigger.

The Oculus Touch controller as well would allow two stage trigger function with the axis range, as it is not a button but an axis. So example from 20-70% range the first stage and then 70-100% the second stage. The 0-20% range could be reserved for just avoiding accidental pulls too.

It is sad that these things are not really used by anyone else than a Oculus in their home, to have a hand/finger animations (OK, Thums up etc).

This if would get implemented by the ED, one could use properly the touch controller.

A/B and X/Y buttons as mouse clicks when you press them, touching them would activate the selection of the hand. A grab touch would grab the stick/throttle, while pulling the grab axis could be one axis configured.

The stick can act as one button by touch, but then additional the movement and separate the movement + click.

A touch sensitive rest place could be set as modifier too.

Other option could be set the A/B and X/Y buttons operate with touching, and clicking them would work as modifiers or other functions.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I'd imagine for anyone without a Warthog they wont have a two stage trigger so I asumme keybinds get around this quite easy?

I mean, I do, so a combination of Warthog in my right hand with Rift controller in my left could likely see me very far...

How many things are on my right hand side that might be awkward to control in a normal mission?

Everything Fri13 points out is all valid as well. Plenty capabilities in the Rift controllers to represent any piece of functionality in the cockpit :pilotfly:

I thought the same thing, but Graywolf said it's not as bad as people think especially if you're already used to VR. He said he did not get nauseous when he was recording his voice-overs.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals