VR IMPROVEMENTS - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #81
eaglecash867

Maybe something like a clearance recorder utility would do it? It could record incoming radio transmissions and you could hit a button to play them back when you need them.

There is a good kneeboard in VR in DCS. It would be awesome if it had a page in it that could accept dynamic input. Maybe text that could go along with the voice transmission.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #82
BigDuke6ixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Yep, that would be excellent. How would we input to the kneepad though?
Head controlled mouse
BigDuke6ixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #83
hansangb
Veteran

Ironically, a physical kneepad would work best, I would think. When sitting, you can see through the nose of the bridge, no?

An auto cut-n-paste would be nice though.

Or an auto kneeboard that keeps track of 9 Line's automatically.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #84
tintifaxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
I think that would work best in VR.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #85
BigDuke6ixx

Quote:
Ironically, a physical kneepad would work best, I would think. When sitting, you can see through the nose of the bridge, no?
It's what I use.
BigDuke6ixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #86
cordite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecash867
There is a good kneeboard in VR in DCS. It would be awesome if it had a page in it that could accept dynamic input. Maybe text that could go along with the voice transmission.
Quote:
An auto cut-n-paste would be nice though.

Yes and yes.
cordite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #87
Strikeeagle345

i would like a in game kneeboard that i can make notes in. I can feel the keyboard for the F anf J keys and type while in the headset.

Strike
C.O. VF-41
vCVW-11
www.vcvw-11.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 1070 | Samsung SSD | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | HOTAS Warthog
Strikeeagle345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #88
Worrazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecash867 View Post
Maybe something like a clearance recorder utility would do it? It could record incoming radio transmissions and you could hit a button to play them back when you need them.
You just hit the bullseye.

That's exactly what the Aviation Industry needs in real life. With all the computer technology out there, the governent and public transportation electronic infrastructure is absolutely horrible in comparison.

All official airways voice communications at the ATC ground facility that are currently archived, yes archived, because they aren't accessible in real-time by the operators, they can't play back any of the stuff at moments notice, only the investigators when they open archive they can access it, so it's all offline storage. You could do the same thing on the airplane, in addition to a black box, you would have a "COMMS BUFFER" where you would be able to go 24 hours back and replay the comms, browse by frequency, etc, the airplane would simply have less storage available because it has space/cost/energy constraints, this kind of a think can probably be an addon, it would just plug in whatever outputs those radios have, or a splitter in the middle before it goes to the headphone, however the method of just dumping aduio would be limited to the frequency being set at the time that's output to that port, and you wouldn't be able to search by frequency or anything else, only time.

There is also oppositon to going to digital, they want to keep analog signals for a number of reasons which I don't remember now. In analog only one person can talk at one time on one frequency, otherwise things get blocked as we know, which can be deadly and I think did lead to real disasters.
With digital, all the involved get their own voice channel, and the ATC/radio system could record everything on the whole AirVoice band if necessary, then the ATC/pilots would have a control panel selecting which freqs/voice-channels they would be actively listening, let's say I want to have frequency 135.5 in left ear, and frequency 134.7 in right ear, and that pilot from Cessna AB460 was annoying so that's let's just mute that voice-channel that's on 134.7, and with the live recording/buffering and replaying feature, they would be able to go back and isolate the voice-channel from everything else (Solo Mode) and hear it clearly this time around.

This may be very helpful in some kind of emergencies, but most importantly for investigators, if the comms reached the ATC ground station, incase blackbox and bufferbox are destroyed.

What is the FAA doing anyway.
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607, 1440p@75"32, MOBO: Asus P9X79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, DCS on SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.

Last edited by Worrazen; 01-03-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #89
eaglecash867

Many of the new audio panels coming out, even for GA aircraft have an automatic clearance recorder built into them. I've installed a few of those, and playing back a radio transmission is as easy as pushing a button on the yoke.

To overcome the radio congestion problem, there's CPDLC, which is already being mandated for aircraft that want to fly in certain areas. Just finally got some exposure to it with a class I took for the Honeywell Primus 2000 system in the Falcon 900 aircraft. Pretty cool stuff.

Here's an article for anybody who wants to read a little bit about what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contro...communications
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #90
Tinkickef

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecash867 View Post
Many of the new audio panels coming out, even for GA aircraft have an automatic clearance recorder built into them. I've installed a few of those, and playing back a radio transmission is as easy as pushing a button on the yoke.

To overcome the radio congestion problem, there's CPDLC, which is already being mandated for aircraft that want to fly in certain areas. Just finally got some exposure to it with a class I took for the Honeywell Primus 2000 system in the Falcon 900 aircraft. Pretty cool stuff.

Here's an article for anybody who wants to read a little bit about what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contro...communications
Many marine radios also have last message playback. I know I had a Cobra marine set with this feature maybe 8 years ago.
System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.
Tinkickef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vr improvements