VR IMPROVEMENTS - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #61
williehayesjr

Default VR Headset

I am considering buying a Oculus VR headset especially for DCS World. I just had a few questions. First, is the VR images presented in 3d? Second, can the headset be used without remote tracker? And lastly, should I wait until next year for next generation VR Headsets?
williehayesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:12 PM   #62
Precog

1). You feel like you are in the world/cockpit. It truly is incredible.

2) Depends on the headset. The rift/Vive need external sensors that typically come with the headset.

3). I would probably wait until rift 1.5 or valves reportedly new headset comes out next year. These should give a big jump in tech over current gen headsets.

Precog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #63
Nodak

Don't count on anything drastically changing the VR scene, and don't count on waiting for a future dream to pay off any time soon. Do a search on "VR sales", there's nothing positive being reported, quite the opposite. Going the same direction as our controllers, a few good small producers left standing at great expense and greater wait.

The stuff out there is pretty damn descent for what we're doing, some who remember the old full motion mil sims, cost millions, big as a building with the awful graphics, in their day top of the line, they're junk compared with what we get to play with.

I'd like to see more scaling sliders for more settings to tweak the game much finer.
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #64
Worrazen

The next generation or update might be just around the corner, I'd wait, Oculus Rift level specs are still same for many years now.
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607, 1440p@75"32, MOBO: Asus P9X79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, DCS on SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.

Last edited by Worrazen; 12-30-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:44 PM   #65
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrazen View Post
The next generation or update might be just around the corner, I'd wait, Oculus Rift level specs are still same for many years now.
Why wait? You never know when/if updates are going to happen. I had a Rift and loved it, and then I bought a Vive Pro, and I love that even more!
Sure, something else will come along at some point in the future, but enjoy VR now on DCS. After all, if you buy something like the Rift, you're only going to lose £100 or so when you sell it. Small price to pay!
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Virpil WarBRD base · Valve Index · HP Reverb
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #66
etherbattx

there is no new VR tech “just around the corner”. if there was, everyone would be talking about it already.

if you are interested in VR, just pull the trigger and enjoy it. you can always sell it on ebay in two years when the new stuff comes out.
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:28 AM   #67
javelina1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Why wait? You never know when/if updates are going to happen. I had a Rift and loved it, and then I bought a Vive Pro, and I love that even more!
Sure, something else will come along at some point in the future, but enjoy VR now on DCS. After all, if you buy something like the Rift, you're only going to lose £100 or so when you sell it. Small price to pay!
Indeed... if we all waited for "Tech", we'd be waiting for the wheel... Live in the now, Enjoy!!!

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 32 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, GTX1080SC, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Rift "S", Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PW Supply, PointCTRL
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:36 AM   #68
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by williehayesjr View Post
I am considering buying a Oculus VR headset especially for DCS World. I just had a few questions. First, is the VR images presented in 3d? Second, can the headset be used without remote tracker? And lastly, should I wait until next year for next generation VR Headsets?
Have you considered your hardware always good to make sure it's going to work okay.

Rift is likely best value for money with the least demand on hardware, highr res is always better but that comes at the expense of requiring higher end hardware.

One sensor works fine for DCS assuming a sitting position mine sits on top of my PC speaker works a treat so you don't have to set up a room scale situation unless your going to slay dragons between using DCS.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:39 AM   #69
Gladman

I really hope they fix this 1.6 max PD thing soon. Its a killer.
i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+
VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet
http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic99190_2.gif
Gladman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:15 AM   #70
streakeagle

As limited as the current tech is, if you can afford the gpu needed to run it correctly, then you can afford Oculus... go for it.

If you have financial concerns, stick with conventional tech.

VR isn't cheap, but it isn't excessively priced either considering the cost of all the other hardware you need to fully enjoy a sim like DCS World: decent PC with plenty of RAM and a strong gpu also with plenty of RAM, throw in a HOTAS, rudder pedals, and a TrackIR. If you can afford all that, $300-$600 for some sort of Oculus/Vive package isn't a big stretch and will repay itself with an amazing experience.

But if the thought of buying a $500+ gpu scares you, spending another $400+ on a VR headset is probably an unnecessary expense. I fly VR roughly 50% of the time for immersion, but still switch back to conventional tech for the sake of much better graphics quality and resolution, often critical to flying complex/dangerous missions.

Tags
vr improvements