VR IMPROVEMENTS

javipamp

Don't know if you have the original O or a Vive pro (same res), but any comment about the "double PPI" claim with regards to the O+? I.e. double the actual pixel resolution they claim, because they use "virtual" in between pixels?

I dont know about PPI, the resolution looks the same as the original, but I have used the Vive pro and had the original Odyssey and the O+ is significantly better in visuals. I will never be able to go back to either of those.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know about PPI, the resolution looks the same as the original, but I have used the Vive pro and had the original Odyssey and the O+ is significantly better in visuals. I will never be able to go back to either of those.

Thats the thing I'm trying to understand is "how" its better from a technical point of view.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thats the thing I'm trying to understand is "how" its better from a technical point of view.

the tech fills in the gaps between the pixels with light that matches the surrounding pixel. So the black space (SDE) you get on all the other headsets is gone and it looks like a solid canvas of imagery.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I know how its supposed eliminate the SDE by letting it bleed/blend with the next pixel over. But they are claiming that it doubles the PPI/Res in the same way. I'm just curious if the idea of the "virtual" pixel between the real ones actually works as they claim.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I know how its supposed eliminate the SDE by letting it bleed/blend with the next pixel over. But they are claiming that it doubles the PPI/Res in the same way. I'm just curious if the idea of the "virtual" pixel between the real ones actually works as they claim.

I honestly don't know. I just know that the picture quality is significantly better than the Vive Pro and OG Odyssey.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Improve "single pass rendering" option in VR would be a huge increase in fps IMHO, as other software does, please ED take into account.

Dunno if it is this you are looking for, in the ../config/graphics.lua file (end of file)

--in stereo and hmd mode you can try to use single parser for both eyes , by default is false , comment to enable it or set to true

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = false

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I doubt it, maybe this parameter doesn´t does the same, In addition I tested it and there are some glitches appearing at screen´s borders.

Ok, I wont bother with it then. Just remembered it being in there, when I saw your mention of it, but I never tried it.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Ok, I wont bother with it then. Just remembered it being in there, when I saw your mention of it, but I never tried it.

I tried it, in PG cities turning "true" this parameter improve VR performance for me, but only a bit (but enough to maintain stable 45 FPS over Dubai); With this parameter set on default "false", FPS are under 45 fps most times.

However, at VR edges on HDM there are some slights graphical glithes, like mountains disappearing suddenly when you look around. I heard in others forums that with single pass rendering in VR it could pass from 30 fps to stable 90 fps, so lets hope to see some light in the end of tunnel. :-)

I tried it, in PG cities turning "true" this parameter improve VR performance for me, but only a bit (but enough to maintain stable 45 FPS over Dubai); With this parameter set on default "false", FPS are under 45 fps most times.

However, at VR edges on HDM there are some slights graphical glithes, like mountains disappearing suddenly when you look around. I heard in others forums that with single pass rendering in VR it could pass from 30 fps to stable 90 fps, so lets hope to see some light in the end of tunnel. :-)

interesting. i will have to try it tonight.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

From here,..

I would strongly disagree with this as an option, it presumes that you do not scan the whole screen presented on the HMD by moving your eyes as you would in real life. :(

Actually, if you look around the edges of the screen, the image is very blurry and only on the center (sweet spot) the image is well defined, this is why in VR you move your head to watch around and not only your eyes (as in real life). In Oculus this sweet spot is bigger than Vive and Vive Pro.

The graphical glitches should be caused because they are using a simple camera frustum instead of the combined from the two cameras.

Yep, that would be excellent. How would we input to the kneepad though?

I was just thinking about this. What about a Kneepad with the "digitizing" pens. So you have your actual Kneepad you look down at and write on, and you see it in VR because it's digitizing what you're writing on the pad. No need to pull a magicians peek around the nose piece or anything. It just gets recreated in game.

I was just thinking about this. What about a Kneepad with the "digitizing" pens. So you have your actual Kneepad you look down at and write on, and you see it in VR because it's digitizing what you're writing on the pad. No need to pull a magicians peek around the nose piece or anything. It just gets recreated in game.

Interesting idea.

Maybe a Wacom unit could be used to write into the scratchpad that was recently released as a mod.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

You could use your finger with a capto glove.

Just to inform...

Using graphics.lua "stereo_mode_use_shared_parser" set to true, give me a boost in VR of 20% more performance, appart some screen border glitches. In addition, you have to set disabled "blur engines" options, so this engine blur is only is rendered in one eye.

Another positive point of this parameter, is that in VR no more cloud flickering are noticed.

Please devs, appart of VR optimization that sure you have planned, could we have some optimization just to improve VR a bit? like single pass rendering for example? thanks

Edited by Gryzor

FYI, regarding the odyssey plus, it just has an extra layer of filter on the screen. The resolution is the exact same as the old one but the resulting image is slightly blurred because of this light filter which gets rids of SDE at the expense of sharpness. There is nothing magic about it, and hence the same price point. Some people love it but others don’t like the blurriness. Link below:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Actually, if you look around the edges of the screen, the image is very blurry and only on the center (sweet spot) the image is well defined, this is why in VR you move your head to watch around and not only your eyes (as in real life). In Oculus this sweet spot is bigger than Vive and Vive Pro.

But you get to a point when you have to just roll the eyes a bit more to pick up a reference object and it is natural to do so. :)

TBH Rift drops sharpness towards the edges I get that but it seems much worse in DCS rendering and it seems deliberately so.

Try leaning forward and check an instrument up close the "blur" effect is so much lower as you move your head and look at the instrument towards the edge of VR screen at close range then it is even sitting back up. It just seems to be a fudge in DCS rendering. It shouldn't be that bad.

It will really be an issue when we get decent FOV and hopefully eye tracking may help. Mind you what happens when you deliberately cross your eyes or look left with left eye and right with the other what will the tracking software make of that. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Just to inform...

Using graphics.lua "stereo_mode_use_shared_parser" set to true, give me a boost in VR of 20% more performance, appart some screen border glitches. In addition, you have to set disabled "blur engines" options, so this engine blur is only is rendered in one eye.

Another positive point of this parameter, is that in VR no more cloud flickering are noticed.

Please devs, appart of VR optimization that sure you have planned, could we have some optimization just to improve VR a bit? like single pass rendering for example? thanks

Spot on I have good improvement as well.

What are you talking about in regards to blur engines?

Edited by Sniper175

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Just to inform...

Stereo_mode_use_shared_parser...Is it a new option from the last patch?

What is blur engines?never seen it

Single pass stereo gave a nice boost in p3d...hope dcs does the same

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Stereo_mode_use_shared_parser...Is it a new option from the last patch?

What is blur engines?never seen it

Single pass stereo gave a nice boost in p3d...hope dcs does the same

No its in the graphics.lua file. I have no clue where that file lives tho :)