VR IMPROVEMENTS - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
javipamp

Default VR IMPROVEMENTS

DCS is great but many of us are jumping into VR and we need better optimisations to enjoy the flight simulator in VR. I read in December news that you were introducing some improvements. When are we going to see them?
Many thanks.
javipamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
Snails161

That’s the burning question. I’m thinking of buying s new MSI laptop (i9 with 1080) but I’m waiting out until these updates come online.
Snails161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
pagadi-zaiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by javipamp View Post
DCS is great but many of us are jumping into VR and we need better optimisations to enjoy the flight simulator in VR. I read in December news that you were introducing some improvements. When are we going to see them?
Many thanks.

Good question, which I also have asked...someone replied;... still in development! Saying that the December news indicated (if it is correctly written) that these developments have been done. What I do not like around here is the fact we very rarely hear in this forums directly from the devs. People have various opinions and speculations but it mainly stops there. This is an much anticipated and needed betterment for this sim and in my opinion needs urgent clarification...what has been done so far?...what is still being worked on?...when we should expect actually these improvement to go out. Before people will jump to criticise me for asking and/or being not patient please understand I have invested hundred of pounds in this simulation!
pagadi-zaiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
javipamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagadi-zaiet View Post
Good question, which I also have asked...someone replied;... still in development! Saying that the December news indicated (if it is correctly written) that these developments have been done. What I do not like around here is the fact we very rarely hear in this forums directly from the devs. People have various opinions and speculations but it mainly stops there. This is an much anticipated and needed betterment for this sim and in my opinion needs urgent clarification...what has been done so far?...what is still being worked on?...when we should expect actually these improvement to go out. Before people will jump to criticise me for asking and/or being not patient please understand I have invested hundred of pounds in this simulation!
I totally agree with you. At the moment I'm not going to buy more from DCS until I see some VR improvements. I'm holding my further investement.
What about "Variable Rate Shading" and "Fixed Foveated Rendering"? It would bring great improvements in fps.

Last edited by javipamp; 12-26-2018 at 11:33 AM.
javipamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
pagadi-zaiet

The post processing lighting additions did not do any favours to VR performance. In 1.5 things were way better looking and performing. Currently the visuals are blocky, muddy and less sharp looking!
Old 12-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
FragBum

From here,..

Quote:
Fixed Foveated Rendering (FFR) is a technique used on Oculus Go that makes use of tile-based rendering to render the edges of the eye texture at a lower resolution than the center. This is nearly imperceptible to the user as it only affects peripheral sections of the view and can significantly improve GPU fill performance. In Unity, Fixed Foveated Rendering can be enabled or disabled using the OVRManager.tiledMultiResLevel property. Read more about FFR in this blog post.
I would strongly disagree with this as an option, it presumes that you do not scan the whole screen presented on the HMD by moving your eyes as you would in real life.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Last edited by FragBum; 12-26-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: <format>
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
pagadi-zaiet

ASW 2 will help a lot...but no news from Oculus on that one also for weeks now!
Old 12-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
dburne
Veteran

Well we did get more Touch type integration in most recent update.
Hopefully some performance optimizations will be coming soon.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
kaltokri
ED Translators

There are some posts about great performance improvements since the last update of the beta version. I have only the stable version because of laking space on my SSD. But I hope the improvments come to stable version soon.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN
kaltokri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
nrosko

We just need some patience, creating another thread about it isn't going to speed things up.

Tags
vr improvements