DCS installed itself in 2 directories?

Hello.

I'm new to DCS world and i just try to explore the things around.

I installed DCS and downloaded my purchased modules, and then i noticed DCS occupies 2 directories next to each other in my game folder - "DCS" and "DCS World".

DCS-folders.png

Is this a bug or is it intentional? It's kinda inconsistent with all the other games.

Correct behavior. One is the actual game folder (DCS World) with all the modules, maps and so on. The other one contains more or less user related data, additional downloads. Like liveries, Kneeboards and stuff.

ED did this to keep the installation clean and at the same time give the player the ability to have some own files in the game.

Correct behavior. One is the actual game folder (DCS World) with all the modules, maps and so on. The other one contains more or less user related data, additional downloads. Like liveries, Kneeboards and stuff.

ED did this to keep the installation clean and at the same time give the player the ability to have some own files in the game.

Allright, i suspected this to be the reason.

Though this is not the ideal way to do it, that's what C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\Name\AppData are for. Other modern games use those folders to store application data.

I would at least expect the installer to give me the option to choose where to put that directory.

• ED Team
Though this is not the ideal way to do it, that's what C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\Name\AppData are for.

I beg to differ. There's no official answer for this question.

However, ProgramData and AppData folders are hidden and Saved Games is much more accessible - it is used for user mods as well as user settings.

You seem to be using Saved Games as an install folder for games - this is the first time I see such decision, which also proves that there's no single answer how to user these folders.

IMHO, it is not a good place to install apps because it is writable by anyone. Program Files is a much better location. protected against unintended (or malicious, by other apps) changes.

If you are interested in a dispute on the topic:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/427520/discussions/10/1480982338959015492/

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.